The Cougar and H-1
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:31 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I used to do it all the time, especially when he really jerked someone around (you know, things like not including a map, then going off on the buyer when questioned about it).

It's fun, but it's almost too easy. If you can count by 11s — 11, 22, 33, etc. — you've got Cougie's bid-pattern down.

It is good for a laugh, though, or to relieve some boredom. And costing Cougie money is like watching karma in action, which can be instructional.

The Coug is the all-time asshat of creation. How he has managed to avoid some UK buyer not putting his fist through the back of his head is simply amazing ...

Ditto...X is right.  You can predict his bidding pattern and tack a nice $5-$50 on the Coug's auctions.  A few years ago, out of boredom, I bounced pretty much all the auctions Coug was bidding on at least $5 each, some much more, just to see if the bidding pattern held, and it did.  Silly, but fun.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:33 pm 

sleepyCO wrote:
Good grief . . . when I bought it years ago, I only paid $15.00 US for H1 (and it was a crushed "box", to boot).

Why are the prices so high for what I understood was a high number of H1 modules made--it can't just be Couger!  
I mean, I can understand five times or so, but not 10X or 15X!  

And, as on another post: Has anyone seen an H1 Bloodstone Pass that wasn't crushed at initial purchase? (THAT, I could understand 10-15X original price.)
bclarkie wrote:I have one that is mint in shrink.  I know of at least 2 others that do as well. :)

I found an unused case of these many years ago.  They were all still in shrink, but still several ofthe boxes were squashed (from being on the bottom of the pile).  These must be the most crap-tastic boxes of all time....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:29 am 

Afrika Corps, I'm afraid I did a couple of times--and yes, one of those was an H1, and yes, I did lose (I don't think it was to couger!).  He did outbid me, but someone else outbid him.

---------------------------

So would it be safe to say, that if someone had an H1 Bloodstone Pass that:

(a)  Was not crushed;
(b)  Was shrinkwrapped; and
(c)  Still had everything intact,

that it legitimately would be worth--or could be won at auction for--at least $150-200?  And, say, about half that if the box is crushed?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:43 pm 

Badmike wrote:These must be the most crap-tastic boxes of all time....

They are very thin. They're more like a cardboard envelope than anything else.

Mine was SW'd but crushed. I took it out of the SW to see what all the hubbub was about. (I know, for shame!! ;)) I think I paid about $45 for it. I don't remember how much I sold it for.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:47 pm 

Badmike wrote:These must be the most crap-tastic boxes of all time....

You know what were awful? Many of the boxes for the microgame craze of the late '70s and early '80s. Particularly when Heritage got into it with their Dwarfstar line: calling those boxes "Milk Duds boxes" was one of the first real gaming in-jokes that I ever heard.

Previous