The Cougar and H-1
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:37 am 

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5&rd=1

This H-1 is in near mint condition, with all counters intact and unpunched. This set should get far higher money than this.

It seems a crying shame that his attempted cornering of the market on H-1's has not paid off for him yet ..... :lol:

Perhaps in a few years the prices he can sell them at, will warrant the prices he has been paying for them. :roll:

Along with this listing, I noticed several dozen of his auctions ending a few minutes from now all in a row with few or no bids.

Suddenly I am not feeling so low about not being able to get my Reserve price for a couple of items a week ago.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:46 am 

All I can say is thank god we each got a shrink H-1 from Maxwell a while back.  Now I don't have to worry about H-1 any more OR have to deal with Cougar!!   :P

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:01 am 

Aneoth wrote:cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5&rd=1

This H-1 is in near mint condition, with all counters intact and unpunched. This set should get far higher money than this.

It seems a crying shame that his attempted cornering of the market on H-1's has not paid off for him yet ..... :lol:

Perhaps in a few years the prices he can sell them at, will warrant the prices he has been paying for them. :roll:

Along with this listing, I noticed several dozen of his auctions ending a few minutes from now all in a row with few or no bids.

Suddenly I am not feeling so low about not being able to get my Reserve price for a couple of items a week ago.

well i keep trying to get it, but never seem to get there. i have a price in mind to pay and won't go above that. maybe he will accept it one day - can only hope can't you :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:08 am 

Now why can't I ever find one of these that isnt going for less than $75???  Well at least Cougar is losing his ass by paying 50 to 100 bucks for all those H1's and then selling them for less than what he probably paid in shipping.  :twisted:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:51 pm 

Anyone have an idea what he sets for a reserve on these?

Cheers,

Curt

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:58 pm 

well its at least £54 - thats what i went up to once and didnt even get asked to "make an offer"....

incidentally....how much are they actually worth?  8O

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:52 pm 

Without much reservation, I can say that the H-1's are worth less than the kitty has been paying for them of late. All year long (And part of last year too) the Cougar has been plopping out outrageous amounts of cash for all modules in the H Series, many of those sellers were from the USA and so he was also paying the high shipping rates on top of that.

Since then he has been re-listing them and using HIGH reserve prices, hoping to recoup some of his money. With little success I might add.

IMO: I believe that a Minty H-1 should easily be worth $100-120 (USD), And a Shrink Wrapped H-1 that is also mint should be worth $150-175 (USD), or even more. Just as the Acaeum Modules list suggests based on past sales on E-Bay.

However, in the past six months or so, the kitty has been paying that much (100-150) for incomplete H-1's, or H-1's in less than mint condition. So, the kitty has basically screwed up the valuation system of H-1's by his eager willingness to pay overly high amounts for ANY condition H-1 and the other modules in the H series as well.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:33 pm 

His usual reserves on H1 are 100GBP ($200USD) for opened but never used copies.

Ive never seen him get those prices on ebay at least.

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:35 pm 

Terminal_Frost wrote:His usual reserves on H1 are 100GBP ($200USD) for opened but never used copies.

oh well i dont want one THAT much - feck i would rather spend that kind of £ on something far more satisfactory to my own liking :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:49 pm 

Terminal_Frost wrote:His usual reserves on H1 are 100GBP ($200USD) for opened but never used copies.

$200.00?!  8O He is even more deluded than I though. :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:18 pm 

A few years ago $150 - $175.00 was routine on this item.  Now I would think about $70-80.00 would be good.  Remeber when Planescape Hellbound went for $150.00?  I do because I sold mine at the time for that price (2 copies actually) now you can barely get $70 - $75.00 for it.

PRices change, cougar it out of touch!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:23 am 

Blackmoor wrote:A few years ago $150 - $175.00 was routine on this item. Now I would think about $70-80.00 would be good.....Prices change, cougar it out of touch!

Or he may be trying to re-start that older trend in prices... He might be smarter than we are giving him credit for. Jury is not back from deliberations yet.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:10 am 

Aneoth wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:A few years ago $150 - $175.00 was routine on this item. Now I would think about $70-80.00 would be good.....Prices change, cougar it out of touch!

Or he may be trying to re-start that older trend in prices... He might be smarter than we are giving him credit for. Jury is not back from deliberations yet.

Supply and demand issues are at work here, a few years ago not to many of these types of items were available compared to the people that actually wanted them.  Now with the proliferation of Ebay and knowledge of collectablilty of almost anything; people are selling the stuff all over the place.  Many of the the 'big' collectors already have these types of items.

hence the value diminishes, cougar can't re-start a market without customers!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:04 pm 

Good grief . . . when I bought it years ago, I only paid $15.00 US for H1 (and it was a crushed "box", to boot).

Why are the prices so high for what I understood was a high number of H1 modules made--it can't just be Couger!  :roll:  
I mean, I can understand five times or so, but not 10X or 15X! 8O

And, as on another post:  Has anyone seen an H1 Bloodstone Pass that wasn't crushed at initial purchase?  (THAT, I could understand 10-15X original price.)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:05 pm 

sleepyCO wrote:Good grief . . . when I bought it years ago, I only paid $15.00 US for H1 (and it was a crushed "box", to boot).

Why are the prices so high for what I understood was a high number of H1 modules made--it can't just be Couger!  :roll:  
I mean, I can understand five times or so, but not 10X or 15X! 8O

And, as on another post:  Has anyone seen an H1 Bloodstone Pass that wasn't crushed at initial purchase?  (THAT, I could understand 10-15X original price.)

I have one that is mint in shrink.  I know of at least 2 others that do as well. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:31 pm 

Has anyone ever bid against cougar on an auction just for fun and giggles?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:27 am 

Afrika Corps wrote:Has anyone ever bid against cougar on an auction just for fun and giggles?

I used to do it all the time, especially when he really jerked someone around (you know, things like not including a map, then going off on the buyer when questioned about it).

It's fun, but it's almost too easy. If you can count by 11s — 11, 22, 33, etc. — you've got Cougie's bid-pattern down.

It is good for a laugh, though, or to relieve some boredom. And costing Cougie money is like watching karma in action, which can be instructional.

The Coug is the all-time asshat of creation. How he has managed to avoid some UK buyer not putting his fist through the back of his head is simply amazing ...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:00 pm 

Aneoth wrote:Without much reservation, I can say that the H-1's are worth less than the kitty has been paying for them of late. All year long (And part of last year too) the Cougar has been plopping out outrageous amounts of cash for all modules in the H Series, many of those sellers were from the USA and so he was also paying the high shipping rates on top of that.

Since then he has been re-listing them and using HIGH reserve prices, hoping to recoup some of his money. With little success I might add.

IMO: I believe that a Minty H-1 should easily be worth $100-120 (USD), And a Shrink Wrapped H-1 that is also mint should be worth $150-175 (USD), or even more. Just as the Acaeum Modules list suggests based on past sales on E-Bay.

However, in the past six months or so, the kitty has been paying that much (100-150) for incomplete H-1's, or H-1's in less than mint condition. So, the kitty has basically screwed up the valuation system of H-1's by his eager willingness to pay overly high amounts for ANY condition H-1 and the other modules in the H series as well.

COme on, guys. We all know the M-bag scam is so he doesn't have to pay for anything, thereby whatever he gets for them is gravy.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Next