Warning - Potential ST1 Up the Garden Path Fake on eBay
Author

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:35 pm 

It is unclear whether this item sold or was pulled.  The eBay API is no longer making that distinction, but by going to the auction listing itself, it says it was "ended" just a few minutes after it posted.  FYI.  Note that this was a re-listing of the (apparently) exact same item that sold via auction a few days ago.

Foul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:27 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Warning - Potential ST1 Up the Garden Path Fake on eBay:That would imply that the seller has come about this one particular item, or resorted to forgery as a means of improving his revenue stream. But currently he has an established unblemished reputation for selling toys on eBay. I lean more towards the 'I found this stuffing in a suitcase stored in an old water tank in my garden, and once I'd hosed all the bird shit off it and let it dry out this is what it looks like.' The real question is, who the F is going to buy a piece of crap like this given the free PDF available online. It may get you a dead copy that is well below the rating of very poor, but outside of reading it, it is worthless as a collectable. It won't hold its value.

Also, to be honest, if I wanted to fake a copy of ST1 from the available images online and the existing PDF, I'm pretty sure I could do a better job than a home colour copier.

Just my 2c. Maybe the buyer will come and tell us.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:26 pm 

FoulFoot wrote in Warning - Potential ST1 Up the Garden Path Fake on eBay:It is unclear whether this item sold or was pulled.  The eBay API is no longer making that distinction, but by going to the auction listing itself, it says it was "ended" just a few minutes after it posted.  FYI.  Note that this was a re-listing of the (apparently) exact same item that sold via auction a few days ago.

Foul

They do appear to be different copies.  There is some rewording of the description that seems to indicate this too:
First copy:

I bought a bunch of modules and It had three of these I am keeping two and selling one this is the worst condition one there are three pages stuck together I didn’t want to try to separate them but I will definitely make copies of mine and send those pages with this one.

Second copy:

I bought a bunch of modules and It had three of these I am keeping one and selling this one.

So the seller apparently changed their mind about keeping two of them.

I really hope no one bought the second one and the seller just pulled it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:04 am 

Having owned a copy of the module "Up the Garden Path" which was subsequently sold for £50 in 2000 to a collector in Portsmouth know the scarcity and difficulty validating the item. When I purchased the original item it was from a player that visited the festival but also was a serious collector, avid gamer, and known Club Role Player in London. Thus it was easy to verify the item's history. As probably stated the oversized module didn't fit into the aesthetic of previous modules published in the UK, and quite frankly was a substandard story. It's only value is it's original scarcity, the limited print run and subsequent destruction of remaindered copies that caused the spike in demand. In truth the quickest way of identifying if it's a copy or fake is the dimensions, but also the redness of the cover. Myself I would NOT touch a copy of the module, unless it's from a collector that can clarify and track it's original background and certainly not from an EU country like Bosnia. (Sorry to be blunt).  Another thing more than a single copy, go away! Nobody would buy more than a single copy for a souvenir (Although it was possible to purchase by post and was advertised in White Dwarf).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:14 pm 

Funny you mention Portsmouth. There was an individual in Portsmouth who used to advertise and sell colour photocopies of ST1 to potential buyers he encountered on eBay. E-mail outside of eBay listing a slew of 'rares' that he could provide copies of, R1-4, ST1, that sort of thing. May well have the solicitation e-mail somewhere in an old outlook archive file.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:23 am 

Wasn’t the cougar in Portsmouth?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:59 pm 

Sardan wrote in Warning - Potential ST1 Up the Garden Path Fake on eBay:Wasn’t the cougar in Portsmouth?

Yes from recollection. Had the pleasure (sarcasm) of buying from said individual before realizing my mistake. His grading was slightly off......Luckily the modules could be written off.  Concerning the original sale of the Up the Garden Path module used the RPGA Newsletter Classified section, as the internet and Ebay UK was in it's infancy.

Previous