Warning - Potential ST1 Up the Garden Path Fake on eBay
Author

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:20 am 

Warning: the following eBay listing appears to be a duplicate of ST1, Up the Garden Path:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

This looks like a copy of the PDF scan that has been circulating for a few years. It is possible that it has been wrinkled and damaged to mask this. If the seller has additional copies, as mentioned, they are probably fakes too. It is pretty clear when looking at the creases and markings on this one vs. the PDF version that it is a reproduction. The seller states "it is very rough and it’s hard for me to say whether this is genuine or not but as far as I can tell it looks to be." This is bulls*t. A little investigative work would clearly show if this is a copy or original.

On the actual module, the cover is not textured like the one listed, but smooth, like typical TSR modules.  It's also very unlikely that it could be crinkled up like it is, as the original has a thick thick paper stock.

Potential bidders beware.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:22 am 

That would imply that the seller has come about this one particular item, or resorted to forgery as a means of improving his revenue stream. But currently he has an established unblemished reputation for selling toys on eBay. I lean more towards the 'I found this stuffing in a suitcase stored in an old water tank in my garden, and once I'd hosed all the bird shit off it and let it dry out this is what it looks like.' The real question is, who the F is going to buy a piece of crap like this given the free PDF available online. It may get you a dead copy that is well below the rating of very poor, but outside of reading it, it is worthless as a collectable. It won't hold its value.

Also, to be honest, if I wanted to fake a copy of ST1 from the available images online and the existing PDF, I'm pretty sure I could do a better job than a home colour copier.

Just my 2c. Maybe the buyer will come and tell us.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:37 pm 

Who's bidding on this?! There are so much cheaper ways to introduce mold into your collection.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:01 am 

:lol:  This will be the prize of someone's collection. It will be boarded and sealed in its own bag, and then displayed separately in its own sealed display case. or maybe it will be flipped without the photos by NKG and graded as good clean condition with some signs of us, $1500.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:49 am 

The seller is lying, it is a fake. If he bought 3 modules, they would have been stacked/kept together by the seller. Ergo, the others would be damaged too. Also, why would he even mention that it might be a fake? If it was, then ALL of them were fakes. He knows a bit about items, he listed a Deities and knew it was pricier due to having 144 pages. There's more tells, but no need to go any further.
Besides, I never trust someone who writes a paragraph and doesn't use a single piece of punctuation.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:06 am 

Deadlord wrote in Warning - Potential ST1 Up the Garden Path Fake on eBay:Besides, I never trust someone who writes a paragraph and doesn't use a single piece of punctuation.

:lol:  :lol:
This copy was smuggled out of Bosnia in the 90's.
The seller knew it was valuable but is too embarrassed to admit that he rolled it up and smuggled it out in his ass.
That also explains his problem with punctuation.
Maybe the current crisis in Ukraine is bringing back bad memories and he needs to offload this heirloom, so he finally bit the bullet, hosed off the condom and cut that fucker open.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:36 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Warning - Potential ST1 Up the Garden Path Fake on eBay: :lol:  :lol:
This copy was smuggled out of Bosnia in the 90's.
The seller knew it was valuable but is too embarrassed to admit that he rolled it up and smuggled it out in his ass.
That also explains his problem with punctuation.
Maybe the current crisis in Ukraine is bringing back bad memories and he needs to offload this heirloom, so he finally bit the bullet, hosed off the condom and cut that fucker open.

Ian, your sleuthing skills would shame Sherlock Holmes.  

Well done sir on another closed case!

Just to add, you may have also revealed the origins of the saying “No $hit, Sherlock!”

-SKA

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:04 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Warning - Potential ST1 Up the Garden Path Fake on eBay:The seller knew it was valuable but is too embarrassed to admit that he rolled it up and smuggled it out in his

Maybe the damaged copy is supposed to whet our appetite for the two undamaged copies. If anyone asks about it, the seller could suggest going outside Ebay to complete the sale for a lower cost, away from those pesky fees & buyer protections.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:04 pm 

Good catch and thanks for the heads-up!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:49 am 

sauromatian wrote in Warning - Potential ST1 Up the Garden Path Fake on eBay:
Maybe the damaged copy is supposed to whet our appetite for the two undamaged copies. If anyone asks about it, the seller could suggest going outside Ebay to complete the sale for a lower cost, away from those pesky fees & buyer protections.

... and no way of knowing how many of those ‘two’ copies he could sell privately. Maybe all twelve of them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:29 am 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in Warning - Potential ST1 Up the Garden Path Fake on eBay:Ian, your sleuthing skills would shame Sherlock Holmes.  
Well done sir on another closed case!
Just to add, you may have also revealed the origins of the saying “No $hit, Sherlock!”
-SKA

**begins to clap**
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSZy6lGgOcI

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:24 am 

Barnum's words still hold true today.............

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:42 am 

Lordan wrote in Warning - Potential ST1 Up the Garden Path Fake on eBay:Barnum's words still hold true today.............

I will never understand the person who drops 400+ bucks and does zero research into what they are purchasing.  Not to mention there were 18 bids so multiple people were just as gullible.  

-SKA

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:51 am 

But did someone here send a PM to the seller or report him to eBay ?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:34 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in Warning - Potential ST1 Up the Garden Path Fake on eBay:Not to mention there were 18 bids so multiple people were just as gullible.

How many of those were shills? Maybe all of them, so that when the other copies are auctioned, it will appear that the first customer was satisfied.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:45 pm 

Sigh...

Well, let's hope the buyer has the ability to get a refund, if it's a copy, as expected.  Maybe they will visit The Acaeum and let us know what they received.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:15 am 

Amazing how the creases are in the same spots as the 1st one.......

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:52 am 

Lordan wrote in Warning - Potential ST1 Up the Garden Path Fake on eBay:

Amazing how the creases are in the same spots as the 1st one.......

Anyone selling something and puts this in the description…

”…and it’s hard for me to say whether this is genuine or not but as far as I can tell it looks to be…”

Stay away from it…

-SKA

Next