A Revisit to Stratochamp's Collection
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:09 pm 

Plaag wrote in A Revisit to Stratochamp's Collection:I could not keep it knowing it really should belong in his collection.

ShaneG.

There is no better community than this one.  Very nice.

I agree with Ian, can you guys dish on its contents?

-Len
-

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:21 am 

That is above and beyond Gentlemanly, a credit to the community guys

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:32 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in A Revisit to Stratochamp's Collection:
There is no better community than this one.  Very nice.

I agree with Ian, can you guys dish on its contents?

-Len
-

I'm not so good with the pictures (after all that's why it takes other people stopping by for research purposes to post things), but I will describe the contents soon.

Shrink is not a condition

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:39 pm 

The official Dungeon of GenCon IX 2nd Edition (by Bob Blake) is divided into two parts: A Preliminary Round and a Final Round.
The preliminary round is for 3 6th level characters and two 7th level characters. This is for OD&D. Several times he references the difference between the way it was run at Gencon and the way this module is presented. For instance at GenCon each monster's first 10 to-hit rolls were included to save the judge time. Here they are not included because he writes "What DM doesn't like to roll dice?"
There is a three page summary for the players, 2 pages of DM notes, 1 page equipment list, 5 pages of DM rules that last of which states "NO DIVINE AID IS AVAILABLE", 9 page room key, 1 map page, 1 materials allowed sheet, 1 combined encumbrance/treasure/monster kill sheet, 1 hit point sheet, 1 spell notes sheet, 1 time record sheet, 5 character sheets, 1 mage spell list and 1 cleric spell list along with the cover page for a total of 34 sheets. The characters are charged with going to a castle and bringing back the Staff of Albalon. They have to defeat a 36 HP Blue Dragon at the end to succeed. If they open the wrong door near the end however they will run into a 105 HP Purple Worm which will probably kill them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:42 pm 

stratochamp wrote in A Revisit to Stratochamp's Collection:...5 pages of DM rules that last of which states "NO DIVINE AID IS AVAILABLE"...

What happens when an unstoppable force meets an unmovable barrier? Deities wouldn't be very divine if they couldn't jump the lines between a fictional universe & a non-fictional one. You may be thinking that DMs are the absolute deciders of everything in their games, but lemme clue you in on a little secret: that is the presumption most gods operate on. Each minor force of nature thinks everything is all about them, & if you're the patron god of boll weevils or whatever, you think that every atom everywhere is powered by the spirit of boll weevils. The same goes for anyone casting spells which involve an assumption of godhood, like in the Key of Solomon or the DMs Guide.

So I can see why you would want to seek out this obscure publication, as it brings up some interesting theological issues, & it would also be interesting to see how it played out. Were there any very unusual weather incidents recorded for that time & place? Did anyone at GenCon IX spontaneously combust?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:41 pm 

stratochamp wrote in A Revisit to Stratochamp's Collection:They have to defeat a 36 HP Blue Dragon at the end to succeed. If they open the wrong door near the end however they will run into a 105 HP Purple Worm which will probably kill them.

Ouch...  That's not very nice  8O

Thanks Stratochamp for the info.  Sounds like a tall order for those characters.

-SKA

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:30 pm 

So then part two is the Final Round. 34 Total Pages
Title Page
Scenario for the Final Round (3 pp) A dying patriarch asks the characters to rescue a lawful crown from the grips of Chaos. The characters are given a fire scored piece of parchment with clues (!) The finale is a fight with a Lich.
Materials List (1 pp)
Designer's Notes (2 pp)
D&D Tournament...DM Rules (5 pp)
Room Key (7 pp)
Notes on Spells (1 pp)
Map (2 pp)
Time Record Sheet (1 pp)
Available Equipment List (1 pp)
Hit Sheet (1 pp)
Combined Encumbrance/Treasure/Monster Kill Sheet (1 pp)
Spell List (1 each/Cleric, Mage & Elf-Mage)
Character Sheets (8th Level Dwarf Fighter, 9th level Elf-Mage, 10th Level Cleric, 10th Level Fighter, 10th Level Mage)

Thank you again Shane!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:49 pm 

Hey chaps.

Bill? Thanks for prompting me to look here. One word....fantastical. one thing i have always liked in life, is presentation. You have nailed it.
Mate, it is truly an archive to be proud of.

I remember us chatting about this way back in 2007 and you have exceeded what would have been my expectations at the time.

Well done my friend

Best, Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:39 pm 

Absolutely amazing to see more photos of your collection, Bill.  It truly is awe inspiring.  :D

Rabbit_67

Kill something, it will make you feel better.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:52 am 

stratochamp wrote in A Revisit to Stratochamp's Collection:The official Dungeon of GenCon IX 2nd Edition (by Bob Blake) is divided into two parts: A Preliminary Round and a Final Round.
The preliminary round is for 3 6th level characters and two 7th level characters. This is for OD&D. Several times he references the difference between the way it was run at Gencon and the way this module is presented. For instance at GenCon each monster's first 10 to-hit rolls were included to save the judge time. Here they are not included because he writes "What DM doesn't like to roll dice?"
There is a three page summary for the players, 2 pages of DM notes, 1 page equipment list, 5 pages of DM rules that last of which states "NO DIVINE AID IS AVAILABLE", 9 page room key, 1 map page, 1 materials allowed sheet, 1 combined encumbrance/treasure/monster kill sheet, 1 hit point sheet, 1 spell notes sheet, 1 time record sheet, 5 character sheets, 1 mage spell list and 1 cleric spell list along with the cover page for a total of 34 sheets. The characters are charged with going to a castle and bringing back the Staff of Albalon. They have to defeat a 36 HP Blue Dragon at the end to succeed. If they open the wrong door near the end however they will run into a 105 HP Purple Worm which will probably kill them.

Now that you describe it, and the final round, they sound familiar to me. I’ve got records showing me having a copy pass through my collection in 2005, a few months after I bought City of the Revenant, so right at the beginning of my collecting phase. It may well have been this that lead me to buying the Judges Guild release, then buying up other JG stuff, and from there to exploring other publishers, in particular the small and obscure press stuff, and that whole non-TSR D&D bailiwick. I had completely forgotten that this existed. I may or may not still have my copy. I don’t know. I’d have to go digging through boxes in storage to find out.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:12 pm 

I just wanted to post a huge thank you to Bill and Susan for opening their home to my wife and I on our way home from Wisconsin.
Our short visit , about 5 hours I think, was not long enough for such an incredible collection of materials and information.
The pictures posted here are amazing, but there's no comparison to seeing and hearing about the collection in person.

Thanks again,
Mike

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:09 pm 

It was great getting to spend time with you and your lovely wife and talk about D&D collecting for 5 hours. Hard to believe that the prior time we met was GenCon 2007. Please stop by again when you're in the area!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:17 pm 

Nesbit37 (Matt) stopped by for dinner after Christmas with his wife and young daughter. I showed them some of the highlights I had picked up in the last year, but having his hands full with his daughter he didn't take any new photos. But I thought I would thank him again for taking all of these past photos including some 2500+ pages of GenCon tournaments he preserved for posterity.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:24 pm 

It was great to stop by, as always!  Glad to introduce you to my wife and daughter.  I wish we had some more time but we can always make this happen again in the future.  Always happy to make future digitization trips as needed as well.

Previous