A Revisit to Stratochamp's Collection
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:31 am 

Over the holidays I was lucky enough to stop back at Stratochamp's to do some research.  I originally visited his collection a couple of years ago and posted about it in this thread:

A Visit to Stratochamp's Collection

He's moved a few things around, and I grabbed a few overview shots of the collection and I just thought it would be good to share those out to the group again.  They are all below and I hope you enjoy.  See if you can tell what is different from the first time I was there!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:30 pm 

Wow. I’d hate to think the extent of $’s are there

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:40 pm 

Amazing as always.
More woodies and OCEs, nice.

I wish I had remembered you were going. I was going to ask for a specific picture.
I hope to visit one day.

Mike

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:25 pm 

Something every collector can aspire to.  That is amazing Stratochamp.  I'm curious, how long is the wall case in the first picture?  And is that a standard 8ft ceiling?  Just trying to get a sense of the size.  

The city and declaration of war poster pictures are killer as well.

-SKA

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:10 pm 

Hi SKA,
Thanks for the kind words.
The ceiling at the top of the bookcase is about 10' high. The ceiling trays up to 12' at the top. The wall is 30' long. The individual shelves are about 42" long.
Matt was trying to take "new" pictures (rather than retaking all of the earlier ones he took that he has a link to) so the EPT Declaration of war poster was acquired since the last time he was here. The TSR display rack was new, as were the racks with some of the higher end rare items (that are displaying the Inverness's, Tamoachan's, Domesday Books etc.). I think some people know that I have every TSR FRP item, but its nicer to be able to front face some of the rarer items so people can see them, so I got those display units.
The table that the Dwarven Forge town sits on is 9'x5'. the carnage from a recent Earth Elemental/Troll/Ogre/Orc/Goblin attack can still be seen lying dead in the streets.

Shrink is not a condition

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:35 pm 

This is incredible! what a tribute to D&D/TSR you've built stratochamp!

Love it.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:29 pm 

Always envious of the amount of organized shelves.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:29 pm 

stratochamp wrote in A Revisit to Stratochamp's Collection:Hi SKA,
Thanks for the kind words.
The ceiling at the top of the bookcase is about 10' high. The ceiling trays up to 12' at the top. The wall is 30' long. The individual shelves are about 42" long.
Matt was trying to take "new" pictures (rather than retaking all of the earlier ones he took that he has a link to) so the EPT Declaration of war poster was acquired since the last time he was here. The TSR display rack was new, as were the racks with some of the higher end rare items (that are displaying the Inverness's, Tamoachan's, Domesday Books etc.). I think some people know that I have every TSR FRP item, but its nicer to be able to front face some of the rarer items so people can see them, so I got those display units.
The table that the Dwarven Forge town sits on is 9'x5'. the carnage from a recent Earth Elemental/Troll/Ogre/Orc/Goblin attack can still be seen lying dead in the streets.

Thanks Stratochamp.  So if i've got this right then, my todo list looks like this..

:arrow: Build super huge bookcase wall which China would be proud of...
:arrow: Get display rack for viewing my second mortgage payments...
:arrow: Create neighborhood setup that would leave Mr. Rogers wanting...

I'm all set now.   :D

- SKA

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:24 am 

Great photos - I love to see such a mature and well-displayed collection.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:45 am 

Great pics Nesbit, thanks for sharing!

Super collection as always Bill!  Questions:  is there a significance to the box sets in the shadow box?  That's a nice way to display them :)

And just re the multiples I see, like the Holmes sets, did you aim to collect / complete print runs, or are the doubles special provenance items?

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:54 am 

Always a pleasure to look. My own hajj happened years ago and I still have fond memories. The front displays make a huge difference - good call - especially for the more unique and htf items.

That nesbit did research at stratochamp's house further evidences a claim I think we all can agree on: Bill does not have a collection - he has a museum. Whether or not he is the owner is irrelevant at this point; Bill preserves stuff that is not to be exchanged anymore. The astronomical monetary value is also irrelevant (except maybe for insurance purposes!) because the stuff possesses its own history, therefore, its own being. How can one collect a being? In a sense, Bill and his family live in this stuff's house.

Enough waxing. Excellent to revisit if virtually one of our, perhaps our most, sacred place again.

Héctor.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:35 am 

Chucho68 wrote in A Revisit to Stratochamp's Collection: Bill does not have a collection - he has a museum.

Agreed!  What an amazing and beautifully displayed museum!   8O

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:23 am 

Not gonna lie....I feel very honored when I look in the background of the front view picture of the castle  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:05 pm 

Is it me, or am I not seeing a Quest for the Fazzlewood?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:22 pm 

Thunderdave wrote in A Revisit to Stratochamp's Collection:Great pics Nesbit, thanks for sharing!

Super collection as always Bill!  Questions:  is there a significance to the box sets in the shadow box?  That's a nice way to display them :)

And just re the multiples I see, like the Holmes sets, did you aim to collect / complete print runs, or are the doubles special provenance items?

Those are the 21st Century Games Mini-Boxes with the addition of the Tarokka Box.
As you know I'm trying to get one of every FRP item printed in English from 1974-2003. Specifically the first printing, any additional significant printings and definitely anytime it had a different stock code. If a different printing comes my way that I wasn't really hunting for I still hang on to it (I really wasn't trying to get all 12 printings of Greyhawk but I think I have them all now). I think I'm missing one Holmes printing but then I have several with "provenance" (Brian Blume's True 1st Print, Tim Kask's 1st print-with the most magic heavy 8th level Dwarf fighter I have ever seen, etc.).

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:30 pm 

Deadlord wrote in A Revisit to Stratochamp's Collection:Is it me, or am I not seeing a Quest for the Fazzlewood?

Hi Frank. There is one between the PVQ 1st Print and the First Copy of Runequest.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:49 pm 

stratochamp wrote in A Revisit to Stratochamp's Collection:Those are the 21st Century Games Mini-Boxes with the addition of the Tarokka Box.
As you know I'm trying to get one of every FRP item printed in English from 1974-2003. Specifically the first printing, any additional significant printings and definitely anytime it had a different stock code. If a different printing comes my way that I wasn't really hunting for I still hang on to it (I really wasn't trying to get all 12 printings of Greyhawk but I think I have them all now). I think I'm missing one Holmes printing but then I have several with "provenance" (Brian Blume's True 1st Print, Tim Kask's 1st print-with the most magic heavy 8th level Dwarf fighter I have ever seen, etc.).

Always nice to see additional pics.  Like the updates!

I see you have thought ahead with the 21st Century Games mini-boxes display.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:28 pm 

Great pics Matt, and, as always, Bill, your collection is amazing not just for its contents, but for your beautiful organization and presentation of the collection as well!  

What are the new color maps on the wall, in the picture at hitemwithashoe.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... scaled.jpg?  They don't look immediately familiar, but they look wonderful (some watercolor work on them, perhaps?).

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Next