What to do when the buyer doesn't receive their items
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:40 am 

Hi everyone,

I recently sold several D&D supplements to a buyer in Italy (one copied below plus several others in the same auction):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MESO:IT

I shipped them via airmail almost 1 month ago, but they claim the items haven't arrived yet.  Having already left positive feedback for the buyer, I'm now concerned about getting hit with negs.  Is there any recourse for a seller in such a situation?

Thanks,

Stephen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:53 am 

Nope your pretty much screwed man, what ya gotta do on overseas stuff is list in your auction you are not responsable for lost/stolen/damaged goods unless they go Air mail parsel with tracking.  Also put this on your invoice and leave feedback after them on overseas non-trackable(gives you a little protection) You now have to worrie about a paypal chargeback, and neg feedback.  It could be tied up in customs, I'd tellem wait another month maybe see if it turns up..... At least the people have 100% feedback and haven't left anyone a neg yet, maybe they would be willing to work with you?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:56 am 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Hi everyone,

I recently sold several D&D supplements to a buyer in Italy (one copied below plus several others in the same auction):

I shipped them via airmail almost 1 month ago, but they claim the items haven't arrived yet. Having already left positive feedback for the buyer, I'm now concerned about getting hit with negs. Is there any recourse for a seller in such a situation?

Thanks,

Stephen

well the stuff is all insured etc right? so you can make a claim etc if thats the case?

this is where maxwells "tracking" argument comes in really.

funny thing i found out about the UK mailing service (dunno if the other guys have noticed the same yet). when you put tracking on an item going out of the UK, you can only track it until it leaves our shores. once it leaves the UK, you can't actually track it. cool that aint it? (not).

as to stephen's comment above tho, there isn't a lot you can do other than make a claim for "Lost goods".

just a pointer tho that helps with "trust" in these things, i have just had sent to me like 500+ books. i got the seller to photo the postal receipts for me so i had evidence of all the mailing labels etc, so i know they have been sent to me (my name and address is on them too), so i know they have been sent. without insurance, and sent via the method of my choosing, then the rrisk is mine, but i know the seller has met their side of the bargain.

i always leave feedback once sold too, which is how i think it SHOULD be done, but sadly you DO leave yourself open to bad feedback, whether that person is justified in their comments or not.

As its about a month, you can contact your post office and declare that the items are lost and begin a claim.

I had an instance not so long back, where i sent 113 CD Albums to someone. They wanted them sent with signature on delivery so that was cool with me. however, they were not there and a card was put through the door and they didnt go and get the CD's (she said she didnt get a note through the door!)....anyway i claimed and got my money for the CD's which i had to refund. Amazingly, the CD's were returned to sender too (me), so i ended up being able to sell the CD's again thankfully.

AFAIK thats the only course open to you now. Airmail never takes a month, UNLESS the "airmail" stickers havent been put on the parcel and its then possible to have them shipped surface (also happened to me)....so a little bit of investigating might be a good idea too.

these days i have no faith in the post office at all.

hope that helps prb not - just a load of drivel now that i look back over it :)

Alan

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:02 am 

Well the thing is there is not many trackable means fro us sellers to ship overseas.  Global Express Mail (which is ungodyly expensive)  Or Airmail Parsel (also very high)  Everything else is not trackable, so once you drop it off at the post office its in gods hands.....

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:27 am 

draco76 wrote:Well the thing is there is not many trackable means fro us sellers to ship overseas. Global Express Mail (which is ungodyly expensive) Or Airmail Parsel (also very high) Everything else is not trackable, so once you drop it off at the post office its in gods hands.....

I tend to always go Global Express on anything over about $100 because I can track my packages. I also found out a buyer who bought from me in the states was able to track the package after it left the UK. So, Alan, if you use Royal Mail Airsure, US customers can track the item going into the US.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:54 am 

most people don't wanna spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$ on global express

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:55 am 

draco76 wrote:most people don't wanna spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$ on global express

Yeah I know. But most people want to receive their stuff too. The UK postal service is so shite. You get what you pay for.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:59 am 

draco76 wrote:Well the thing is there is not many trackable means fro us sellers to ship overseas. Global Express Mail (which is ungodyly expensive) Or Airmail Parsel (also very high) Everything else is not trackable, so once you drop it off at the post office its in gods hands.....

Funny you mention this.  I just got back from my local Post Office to ship to everybody's furry friend, and the guy at my local PO said they don't offer tracking Internationally at all. :roll:  Rather then argue with him about it, I figured I would try the good ole' UPS store and found out it was going to cost $102.00 to send to the UK at their cheapest rate :evil: .  Looks like I am going to have to go into the city to ship, Christ.......... :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:05 am 

bclarkie wrote:

Funny you mention this. I just got back from my local Post Office to ship to everybody's furry friend, and the guy at my local PO said they don't offer tracking Internationally at all. :roll: Rather then argue with him about it, I figured I would try the good ole' UPS store and found out it was going to cost $102.00 to send to the UK at their cheapest rate :evil: . Looks like I am going to have to go into the city to ship, Christ.......... :roll:

You could have told the guy that he's talking shit. Full tracking is available both ways across the Atlantic. The cheapest I've shipped with tracking is £7.55 (Airsure) and the cheapest I've paid is $24.90 (Global Express). Both within the last four months.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:41 am 

bclarkie wrote:

Funny you mention this. I just got back from my local Post Office to ship to everybody's furry friend, and the guy at my local PO said they don't offer tracking Internationally at all. :roll: Rather then argue with him about it, I figured I would try the good ole' UPS store and found out it was going to cost $102.00 to send to the UK at their cheapest rate :evil: . Looks like I am going to have to go into the city to ship, Christ.......... :roll:

I was told the same.  Hence the pot I'm sitting in now...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:53 pm 

What do you do when a seller buggers of and doesn't ship anything to anyone?

feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... d=page9245

I was stung for two items plus shipping, $30. Payal say 'no protection, sorry'. :evil:

Maybe its about time we have a reciprical agreement with our US fellow collectors. When you guys need someone to go visit a seller in the UK, we sort it out and when we need somethin similar, you guys sort it out.

Anyone from Hillsdale, MI?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:02 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:What do you do when a seller buggers of and doesn't ship anything to anyone?

I was stung for two items plus shipping, $30. Payal say 'no protection, sorry'. :evil:

Maybe its about time we have a reciprical agreement with our US fellow collectors. When you guys need someone to go visit a seller in the UK, we sort it out and when we need somethin similar, you guys sort it out.

that sounds like a quality idea! i have no problems going round and paying someone a visit at all! and as i work for a law firm, am going to go in on monday and see if i can figure out an angle i can use to try and help others in the predicament ian is in.

it just isn't on ppl doing this.

ian, i have one too, where the guy has just done a runner and i got stiffed for about $30 too, with paypal not doing diddley, but then, thats certainly not the first time they have done that. so much for protecting its users! :cry:

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:04 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:What do you do when a seller buggers of and doesn't ship anything to anyone?

oh and by the way, that guy stiffed me too. i got a gazetteer and WG6 from him. little shit - may the guy rot from something very unsavoury :evil:

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:05 pm 

Well, I am not from Hillsdale, so I can't help you with this one, but I'm in for others. :twisted:  I would be gladly to pay visit to anyone within 50 miles of Pittsburgh, if it comes to that. :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:10 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:

oh and by the way, that guy stiffed me too. i got a gazetteer and WG6 from him. little shit - may the guy rot from something very unsavoury :evil:

Maybe the guy from the_eastern_treasure_chest/the_game_emporium moved to Michigan. 8O

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:51 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Hi everyone,

I shipped them via airmail almost 1 month ago, but they claim the items haven't arrived yet. Having already left positive feedback for the buyer, I'm now concerned about getting hit with negs. Is there any recourse for a seller in such a situation?

Since I ship to Italy quite often it is entirely possible that it is still in-transit. Italy is very slow in delivering International items. It routinely takes 3-4 weeks via Airmail. It's worse if the package is going to a more remote location. No problems with shipping items out of Italy though...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:15 pm 

I have to confirm dbartman's opinion. Packages coming into Italy are routinely examined and witheld to estimate their contents - and the possibility of applying taxes to them !

I am still waiting for a box coming from down under that I won in the end of december! And the material I won from Guido - that earned him a neg from my part - finally came after - I think - three months and a half.

The fact is that if shipped by sea they come in through the port of Genoa, and I guess there is one huge mess.  :cry:

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:36 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:

I got Northern Va and the DC Metro area covered!  :twisted:

Next