GW leaflet
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:32 am 

While browsing my d&d boxes i came into smtg that didnt catch my eyes till today: in a UK D&D basic set (the thick box) i found a 4-page leaflet (A5 size) written by Steve Jackson. I post here a pic of this interesting bit of the basic set... @Foul: it might be worth to be mentioned in the contents of the foreign editions.
Ciaooo

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:46 am 

Here is more info on it: Zenopus Archives - The Dungeons of the Ground Goblins
"It also turns up occasionally with OD&D boxed sets in the UK. "

Is the quote above from the Zenopus site a typo? I had always heard that it was included with the Basic Set, but it seems plausible that it might have been included in GW-distributed copies of OD&D as well.

The page you reproduced is not on the Zenopus site. Is it a different edition, or are the pages shown on the Zenopus site different parts of the edition you have?

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:01 am 

sauromatian wrote in GW leaflet:The page you reproduced is not on the Zenopus site. Is it a different edition, or are the pages shown on the Zenopus site different parts of the edition you have?

It is the same leaflet! I posted the second page in order to show more contents (the article!), Zenopus shows the first page which is more an ad (but that is the first page acutally!). The only difference is the color of the paper... Mine is tan/yellowish... The one on the site seems white...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:16 am 

aia wrote in GW leaflet: The one on the site seems white...

So yours corresponds to:

'4th: Games Workshop flier, ~Dec 1977, front shows UK Basic Set (see right) A similar flier but with different artwork. The title returns to "DUNGEONS & DRAGONS", but with the same subtitle as above,' ['above' meaning the 3rd version, described below, per the multiversal principle 'as above, so below']

from the Zenopus site, & not

'3rd: Games Workshop flier, ~Feb 1977, front shows OD&D booklets (see right) Here it is titled, "VISIT A WORLD OF SWORDS & SORCERY With DUNGEONS & DRAGONS" and subtitled "DUNGEONS & DRAGONS is the ORIGINAL Adventure Game in Worlds of the Strange and Fantastic" '

?

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:49 pm 

Yes, in the first page there is a pic of the blue book d&d, the UK first edition

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:29 am 

Speaking of different versions of the leaflet, i believe this OCE has the TSR version included (along with a holmes dice set!):

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:54 am 

aia wrote in GW leaflet:Speaking of different versions of the leaflet, i believe this OCE has the TSR version included (along with a holmes dice set!):

That adds a little more info, since it shows a folded sheet that is printed in digest size (a detail not mentioned on the Zenopus site). You can see the article title visible on the other side of the paper in both the auction & the Zenopus site, showing that the text has been reduced to make a digest-sized chapbook.

Wish I could afford to bid on the auction, & that it would ship to the US. The dice & the flyers are worth as much as the rest of the set!

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:30 am 

Ok, in order to have a complete view, i created a "medley" of the 4 pages of the leaftlet... the order of the pages is the one presented in the sequence.
And yes, i do confirm that it is an A4 sheet bent in two: it fits an OCE without any problem!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.