Unlicensed?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:06 pm 

Is this homemade?  The printing doesnt look right and never seen one like it.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:18 pm 

No such thing.  Either an authorized or unauthorized POD.  The reprints that are available are softcovers.  It's possible that there was a hardcover done at one time too.

Judging from the brief description (Pm me with any questions) and "Hardcover" in quotes, I'd say it isn't authorized.  The seller also has additional "hardcovers" for sale.

Regardless, it seems like the current price is rather high.  Perhaps the bidders think it's a rare printing from TSR.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:22 am 

A number of these have been sold in the past.  They are bootleg copies - they bought or downloaded a pdf and just printed them up in a hardcover format.  I'm sure it looks good on a shelf but a lot of people have the impression it is something rare rather than a $20 print job.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:09 am 

This POD hardcover selling of items seems to be growing, maybe it’s a quick cash grab on unknowledgeable folk

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:15 am 

ashmire13 wrote in Unlicensed?:This POD hardcover selling of items seems to be growing, maybe it’s a quick cash grab on unknowledgeable folk

That's exactly what it is. I've seen people selling drivethruRPG POD reprints of classic modules like ToEE on eBay asking crazy prices.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:32 am 

for_the_love_of_the_stuff wrote in Unlicensed?:
That's exactly what it is. I've seen people selling drivethruRPG POD reprints of classic modules like ToEE on eBay asking crazy prices.

If it is a legally bought PoD product, then selling it is perfectly legal. There is nothing wrong or immoral about buying a product and then selling it to someone else for a proffit. The fact that some fool would rather spend five times the money on a second hand copy of something he could by freshly printed says more about the intelligence of the buyer and how little he cares about the value of the money he has.

If however, a person obtains an illegally downloaded PDF, or scans their own book, and then sends it to have it printed, that is the point at which the law is broken.
If he then goes on to compound that crime by selling it on eBay and recording the evidence of his crime in the public domain, that says more about how little the IP holders of yesteryear care about their IP, than anything. By this stage I'd say the lack of anyone caring about their IP is tantamount to tacit consent.

A crime is not a crime if neither the alleged victim, nor the authorities tasked with deterring crime, care or intend to prosecute.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:36 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Unlicensed?:If it is a legally bought PoD product, then selling it is perfectly legal. There is nothing wrong or immoral about buying a product and then selling it to someone else for a proffit. The fact that some fool would rather spend five times the money on a second hand copy of something he could by freshly printed says more about the intelligence of the buyer and how little he cares about the value of the money he has.

If however, a person obtains an illegally downloaded PDF, or scans their own book, and then sends it to have it printed, that is the point at which the law is broken.
If he then goes on to compound that crime by selling it on eBay and recording the evidence of his crime in the public domain, that says more about how little the IP holders of yesteryear care about their IP, than anything. By this stage I'd say the lack of anyone caring about their IP is tantamount to tacit consent.

A crime is not a crime if neither the alleged victim, nor the authorities tasked with deterring crime, care or intend to prosecute.

Regardless of all that stuff you just typed, hawking POD reprints at OG prices is still...

ashmire13 wrote in Unlicensed?:a quick cash grab on unknowledgeable folk

Nice tirade though.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:36 pm 

Better off buying Jim's original Gamma World game maps. (psst: be sure to ask Jim for a CoA.)

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:08 am 

for_the_love_of_the_stuff wrote in Unlicensed?:Regardless of all that stuff you just typed, hawking POD reprints at OG prices is still...

Nice tirade though.

Isn't that the entire basis for western society though?
The quick cash grab on unknowledgeable folk.
We work and buy shit with currency, and barely 1 in 100 of us see the cash grab and fleecing we are all partaking in.
Any we are supposed to give a shit about some guy making a few bucks on eBay?
If that is the value system we are supposed to question, it is the value system that is flawed, and the proponents of those values, and not the actual mechanism of buying and selling in the marketplace.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:23 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Unlicensed?:
Isn't that the entire basis for western society though?
The quick cash grab on unknowledgeable folk.
We work and buy shit with currency, and barely 1 in 100 of us see the cash grab and fleecing we are all partaking in.
Any we are supposed to give a shit about some guy making a few bucks on eBay?
If that is the value system we are supposed to question, it is the value system that is flawed, and the proponents of those values, and not the actual mechanism of buying and selling in the marketplace.

I'm not looking to get into a discussion on economics, Ayn Rand. Just acknowledging that this practice is becoming more widespread on eBay lately.

Take your politics elsewhere, I'm not biting.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:11 am 

for_the_love_of_the_stuff wrote in Unlicensed?:
I'm not looking to get into a discussion on economics, Ayn Rand. Just acknowledging that this practice is becoming more widespread on eBay lately.

Take your politics elsewhere, I'm not biting.

It hasn't changed. Only the technology base.
The fact we you don't have tons of fake fanzines and photocopies of old tourneys and modules doesn't mean that the problem has gone away.
The fact that CDs and DVDs full of Traveler and D&D aren't being hawked doesn't mean the sellers aren't there anymore.
The fact that all the fake remolded minis white metal minis aren't being sold anymore doesn't mean the sellers have gone away.
The only difference that I can see is that for the most part they have moved into semi-legitimate, or legitimate business and given up their previous lying and stealing, and that is because WoTC and others have facilitated it, DrivethruRPG supply them with the products, and the idiots who buy are too lazy to find out what they are buying before they hit BIN.

From a commercial standpoint, and from a moral standpoint, this is a big cleaning up of the wares that were hawked on eBay, if you look at the changes that are happening in our side of the collecting space. Its a reduction in crime and the fleecing of the muppetry. Not an escalation.

It was hard to tell the difference between remolded minis and the genuine article, or reprinted Beholders or modern photocopies of tourneys from the originals that were produced for GenCon etc. And the sellers were not honest about what they were selling. These days the sellers are honest and upfront and the differences are blatant and easy to see. Only the willfully ignorantly and willing buyer is buying here, and for the most part they are not doing so from dishonest sellers. So I don't see any harm being done to anyone.

You could liken this to sellers who sell fake silver coins, with adverts that say 'fake silver eagle', and there being an increase in sales of them. The seller is honest. The buyer is buying in the full knowledge that what they are buying is not genuine. We do not know their reason for purchase. We do know that they could buy them for 1/10th of the price on Alibaba. And yet America buys them by the bucket load. Why? Is it the fleecing of the unknowledgeable thinking they are buying genuine silver? Or is it people who have a desire and a reason to own fake silver eagles and who value their time more highly than the arbitrage between the seller's asking price and a search on eBay?

For many people $50 is a frivolous non-event, and they care not about the possibility of buying it elsewhere at $15. They hit BIN and move on.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:46 am 

Curiously, I suspect it was the free availability of illicit PDFs, thanks to Google and 4chan have eliminated the bulk of the selling of PDFs on eBay.
The offering of PoD hardcopies is a logical progression of adding value to make a market, when the internet has reduced the value of your PDFs to zero.
I haven't yet seen a PoD on eBay that Google won't let you find to download for free within about fifty clicks.
Legends of Roleplaying, or whatever they're called. Their first publication (maybe 6 months back?) was being distributed within 48hours of going on sale.
The fight should be with the PDF form factor and how the publishers distribute digital product, not with aftermarket printing or resale.
It is the publishers and their authors that have to solve this problem.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:44 pm 

Ian hit it dead nuts. I didn't think PDF's would have a big impact on the collectible market, but I suspect I was wrong.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:48 am 

The thing is the technology is there to fix it.
I don't thing PDF per se is flawed. Like mp3s, I don't think the technology has moved on in the past 15 years.
All it takes is consensus by the publishers that they want to secure their IP on the internet, and a company like Adobe to encrypt and secure the PDF.
But I suspect, like music before it, there is no market here to invest in.
If the publishers see no profit in protecting their IP, why give a F about everyone sharing it for free?
The noble will still buy, and the rest will get you free advertising and awareness at gaming tables that otherwise your product would never reach.
The publishers are the ones who attribute value to their IP, and it is for them and the authors to decide if their IP has value to them and is worth protecting.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:02 am 

Deadlord wrote in Unlicensed?:Ian hit it dead nuts. I didn't think PDF's would have a big impact on the collectible market, but I suspect I was wrong.

Which way around? I reckon without PDF's OSR type stuff would be dead in the water & demand for the originals (from people who were too young for 1st ed but played 2e onward - such as myself) would be much lower.

I'm willing to pay more because the PDF's are around in a way.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:30 pm 

shadeun wrote in Unlicensed?:
Which way around? I reckon without PDF's OSR type stuff would be dead in the water & demand for the originals (from people who were too young for 1st ed but played 2e onward - such as myself) would be much lower.

I'm willing to pay more because the PDF's are around in a way.

Yeah. The online digital community created the OSR and drove the sales. Probably still does. A huge chunk of Kickstarter backers are only in at the PDF copy bracket, but are there to support the writer. Most do not collect and do not have bookshelves full of product.

At the moment, as I see it, either the PDF itself has to change, and authors/publishers have to start encrypting properly instead of watermarking. Adobe effectively gave up on encryption at the turn of the century and its practically stood still ever since. But I honesty think the publishers prefer the 'piracy' marketing model because it costs them nothing, they can lie or obfuscate with their authors, and so long as everyone toes the same line, its a level playing field.

For the most part, unless you go down the rabbit hole, you don't know the scale of the free market in PDFs. Google does a real good job though of opening the doors to the adventurous though. No more Torrents or any of those sorts of things nowadays.

I can understand your one man band and his buddy who does the drawings not understanding what is going on in the online marketplace. But TLG and FGG and all the other established publishers know damn well that for every copy of the PDF they manage to sell, more than a hundred are downloaded for free. That's conservative. It may well be in the thousands.

I suspect the status quo will remain for the foreseeable future and there is no financial benefit to the publisher or reseller to change things.