NTRPG con Founder Doug Rhea in Hospice (has passed)
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:37 am 

If you are on FB and part of the NTRPG con group, you know this, but many here at the Acaeum might not be aware. Doug is losing his four year battle with colon cancer, his liver is now failing and he's gone into In-Home Hospice starting today. He has anywhere from five days to five weeks, according to doctors.

I met Doug here on the Acaeum many years ago, when he was selling a few white boxes he had bought. I found out he was local, so we met up and exchanged money and boxes. Later that week, my computer was fried due to a lightning strike near my house, remembering he fixed and sold computers I called him up. For free, he coaxed my hard drive back to life, transferred to a new hard drive, and installed it in a brand new computer shell. From there we became friends and this led to forming the North Texas RPG con in 2009. The con has the rep for one of the best small cons out there that celebrate the founding fathers of RPGs. This was due to Doug financing the con out of his own pocket all these years, and not making a cent along the way. The influence of the con on this industry and hobby cannot be underestimated, and we all owe him a debt of gratitude.

Doug was also a huge supporter of the Acaeum, and its no coincidence most of our early attendees to NTRPG con were Acaeum members, since when it comes down to it, this is really who the con's target audience is...people we had met and gamed with here (Brian Kwaino, John January, John Lile come to mind especially). It was through the Acaeum we first announced the con.

Doug found he had Stage IV colon cancer several years ago, and has been undergoing chemo since then. This June he had some difficulties which led him to having surgery right around the time of NTRPG con, which he missed for the first time ever.  He spent two months in the hospital and was released, without much of his intestine and without the cancer. Unfortunately, the cancer grew back at a prodigious rate and attacked his liver, which it had previously left alone. He's now in the last stages of liver failure and not eligible for a transplant.

Doug is an amazing guy and one of the toughest guys I've ever known. If you've ever attended the con, or met him, and you feel like sharing a story about the man, post it here.

The con will continue with myself, Gary Oliver and Doug's son David doing the best we can to live up to his incredible legacy. Through Doug, the con had some amazing special guests that in general never made it to cons, or to cons in this part of the country....Rob Kuntz, Frank Mentzer, Tim Kask, Dennis Sustare, Jennell Jaquays, Jim Ward, Erol Otus, Jeff Easley, Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman, Larry Elmore, Lawrence Schick, Allen Hammack, Steve Perrin,  Steve Marsh, Steve Winter, Darlene, Jeff Dee, Douglas Niles, Jeff Grubb, Kevin Hendryx, Chris Clark, Wolfgang Baur, Bill Webb, Ken St Andre, Diesel LaForce, and Zeb Cook are some of the illustrious names from RPG past that attended. In recent years the special guest list has gotten more modern with many more names of people who have gotten involved in the hobby the past couple of decades. Everyone had one thing in common, they were there because Doug wasn't scared to pick up the phone and let them know they were needed in Texas.

Thanks Doug!  For his final days, he's resting comfortably at home with some visitors and Zoom set up for him to talk to those who want to pop in...more information about that when we get it set up.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Last edited by Badmike on Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:26 pm 

Thanks Mike for being the bearer of bad news.  :pale:

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:38 pm 

Thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.  He's done an incredible service to the hobby over the years.

Foul

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:06 pm 

Doug insisted that I come down for the 2nd Texas RPG con in 2010.  Even offered to help with some expenses, but I told I would be happy to come and pay my way.  He just really wanted to have the Acaeum guys there in the very early years.  I had a ball that year and he took the time (about 2 hours) and just sat and talked to me about his life as a police officer and then how he started his computer business.  I got the impression this guy was a type A personality that did not accept anything standing in his way of what he wanted to do.  I have missed being at the Con these last 5 or so years.  I miss all my Acaeum friends.  Doug you a hell of guy and I love you.  Hope you see this.

One more fun little story:   Doug let me, blackmoor and Kingofpain  take his SUV out to get some food.  I'm driving and Blackmoor finds a 9mm in one of the compartments and is waving the gun around while were in the drive thru getting the food.  Blackmoor is a Canandian,  I promptly let him know that we are in Texas and if someone sees him waving that thing around he might get shot.  The look on Blackmoor's face when he realized this is something I will never forget.  :lol:

There are so many good stories from those first years.  Thank you, Doug.  It is a very fond time in my life that I will never forget and it happened because of you.  

Respects Doug,
Love you, Brother
Martin Britt (Prufrock)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:40 pm 

So the Canadian gets in the SUV and the first thing he does is rifle through compartments. Way to go to break down stereotypes Blackmoor!

I missed the first two NTRPG Cons and I regret that very much. Bracton & Invincible Overlord told me how much fun they had so I went down for #3. I walked into registration was talking to Doug when Sandy Petersen walks in. I had never met him but we started talking and he was hungry so we went and ate at the hotel. Over lunch I gave him my "largest FRP collection" spiel and he asks to see my want list. Realizing that he had several items on the list he invites me to go back to his home that night and we'd go through his stuff (!). Well it went better than I could have possibly hoped, dinner was great and I even lightly cut my arm on his bannister heading to bed at 3 AM (yes it did occur to me I was going to be sacrificed to the Old Ones). This kind of thing could happen in Texas because Doug (& Mike) brought a tremendous grouping of master RPG designers to his con and being treated so well they kept coming back again and again. I've met people there who have become dear friends all because of Doug. After many years of telling him about my collection it was an honor when he stopped by for several hours with his lovely wife to visit my home in the midst of their vacation. He has been so generous to me and to all that have graced his conventions. I have a hundred wonderful memories of my visits to Dallas in June that I will treasure always. Thank you Doug from the bottom of my heart. You couldn't have done it any better. God Bless!

Shrink is not a condition

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:03 pm 

Shit, sad news Mike

Please pass on my thoughts to him and his family if you can, as I bought a white box from him years ago when he did me a great deal and was such a gent

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:01 pm 

Doug you will be missed, you are a great inspiration to the gaming/collecting world.

NTRPGC was one of my favorite cons, just wished I still attended. Maybe we will make the trek again in the future.

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:59 pm 

Doug is a hell of a guy. Sorry to see him go but I hope to meet up with him in the next life. I wish him well on his journey.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:52 am 

I never met Doug but i still remember when we used to have deals over his rpgmarketplace.com (another great idea, highly underestimated!)... He is simply a lord. I will pray for him.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:32 pm 

I've talked to Doug several times at NTRPG and can't express how thankful I am for his incredible demeanor and appreciation for all he done for us. The con is truly a labor of love. He and all of his family are in our prayers.

Doug, if you happen to read this, THANK YOU!!

Carpe DM!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:34 pm 

My wife and I met Doug and his wife briefly several years ago while he was vacationing in Puerto Rico. We spent a few hours talking D&D, laughing, drinking beer, and so many other things. Not sure if lawful or chaotic, but good to the marrow.

Hope to see you up there, friend.

Héctor.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:07 am 

I’m saddened by this. Never had the pleasure to meet Doug, but I’ve watched the NTRPG grow as a labour of love… respect and props for this, a legacy that will be remembered.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:51 am 

Is this the same Rhea that was selling his entire collection off many years ago to fund building a house?

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:35 am 

No, that was Chris Rhea; unrelated.

Foul

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:33 pm 

Although I've never met Doug in person, he and I interacted via PM's and the long forgotten but happening NTRPG chat.  He offered to pay my plane ticket as long as I was going to book the hotel and badge.  The problem was that in that time, I was going through a divorce and monetary and property stuff was being divided.  I have never forgotten that display of generosity.  Doug is one who, pardon the trite saying, 'wanted to make people's dreams come true' in the context of the RPG gaming convention scene.  I truly was agog at seeing what he was saying.  

However, as time went by, I have met BadMike and others who have attended other conventions and NTRPG was somewhat on the back burner, I put off attending the NTRPG.  It seems, that time is too late.

With the time left, I want to show my appreciation for Doug and all he's done.  I thank him for the chats, the emails and the generosity shown towards so many.  Wow.  What an exemplary example of a decent human being.  Doug, if you read this, just wanted to express my heartfelt thanks for who you are and what you have done.  Also wanted to express my prayers to you and your family in this difficult time and what you're going through.  "SketreWhisp" (if I spelled that correctly?) will not be forgotten.  

Cory

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:04 pm 

Positive energy headed that way.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:37 am 

Ah, damn. Really sorry to hear this, Mike, but thanks for letting us know.

Let mirth prevail!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:59 pm 

Terribly sad news. I'd like to thank Doug for all of the effort and energy he has put into NTRPGCon. I've attended three times and greatly enjoyed it each time. It's a real thing of value and contribution to the RPG community that he built from the ground up.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Next