Prices coming back down to earth?
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:29 pm 

Has anyone else noticed a decline in prices that were once being fetched?  Maybe its summer and less people are hitting refresh every 10 seconds on eBay auctions.  

I saw this and was expecting it to do much better... Given its rarity, condition and last time I saw one sold.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:13 pm 

IMHO, prices might take a breather, but most of the price increases seem to have been on common items. Not a lot of folks would give two coppers for this rare - thing. :)

Poor condition white box sets are still $400 plus, BIN good condition monster manuals are getting $75 plus, etc..

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:13 am 

I reckon prices are down - probably something to do with it being summer - but also collectibles as a whole are down. Worth mentioning that a lot of the heat coming out of MTG with the MH2 set reprinting dual lands causing a lot of mark-to-market pain for people who own old cards (great for people who actually play the game though).  Also bitcoin weakness recently...

However, in this case, the fighting wheel has massive variance on prices. I paid 100 quid for mine maybe 6m ago (from a french seller) and have seen then go 150 to 300 USD gyrating - because often poorly labelled.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:38 am 

Yes, the Fighting Wheel is probably not a good item to measure market fluctuations by, but $300 is one of the highest auction prices for it.  The only other two that sold at auction for more were NM in SW.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:55 am 

This is not an item that is still useful for the majority of eBay buyers.

I'd say the prices for hardcovers and modules have stayed fairly steady, even gotten higher in some cases for the AD&D stuff.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:14 pm 

for_the_love_of_the_stuff wrote in Prices coming back down to earth?: .... even gotten higher in some cases for the AD&D stuff.

Yeah strongly agree with this.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:46 pm 

59 watchers is a lot for a DnD item. I dont want to sound dramatic, but it might be the most Ive seen for a used white box set.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

You can ignore the bump at the end of this chart. Its move like leveling out right there.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:44 am 

There's a small window in COVID hell, and people are spending money elsewhere. If (when) the window closes again, the march uphill will likely continue.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:24 am 

TheHistorian wrote in Prices coming back down to earth?:There's a small window in COVID hell, and people are spending money elsewhere. If (when) the window closes again, the march uphill will likely continue.

I suspect this small window is going to last longer than most people think, and I suspect for many the elsewhere their money is going is into savings for what is ahead. But you never know. The rest of the decade could be a spectacular spectator sport, but a nightmare for those affected in their day to day lives. I suspect there will be a lot of cashing in of collections by those who find themselves in need of currency to deal with things they did not foresee happening.

Given that the governments of the world have dropped trillions of dollars of unearned helicopter money on everyone (even prisoners in some states), and no value was created at all in exchange for that money, that's the biggest debasement of currency human in history. I'd say things that are real are likely to become a lot more valuable to people when they finally begin to understand what infinite free currency actually means. It's gonna be a fun ride. A comfortable one for those sitting on collections of whatever. A surprisingly painful and dangerous one for many who care not where their currency comes from.

So probably bargain basement times ahead (2-3 years out or so I'd guess) for those who are comfortable and with liquidity spare, buying from those who were not, followed by a reversion to the mien come the end of the decade.

I'm up for the odd gem if I see it come up, a few holes to fill in Battletech and the odd future collectable in the OSR. Maybe a manuscript here or there (which ironically was what introduced me to this forum - City of the Revenant - back in 2005), but otherwise I'm out of the game and the collection has gone digital.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:33 am 

Maybe they will hang up there a little longer... Although I think this was up on eBay for quite some time.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:53 pm 

Counterpoint:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

8O It's a beat-up OCE!

Héctor.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:41 pm 

I am confused by this item. The listing says "Dungeons and Dragons Original Collector's Edition Boxed Rules Set 1974" but the starburst means it's 1977 at the earliest no?

Chucho68 wrote in Prices coming back down to earth?:Counterpoint:

8O It's a beat-up OCE!

Héctor.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:40 am 

Hastur the Unspeakable wrote in Prices coming back down to earth?:I am confused by this item. The listing says "Dungeons and Dragons Original Collector's Edition Boxed Rules Set 1974" but the starburst means it's 1977 at the earliest no?

That is correct, however the copyright pages in every version of the first boxed sets say 1974 as the year of publication. That OCE is a 6th-7th print, which was issued in 1977 as you said.
Ciaooo

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:52 pm 

The bid is at $1550 and from the pictures it doesn't even seem to include the Reference Sheets.    8O

aia wrote in Prices coming back down to earth?:
That is correct, however the copyright pages in every version of the first boxed sets say 1974 as the year of publication. That OCE is a 6th-7th print, which was issued in 1977 as you said.
Ciaooo