Arse!
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:58 pm 

What's Warriors of Mars worth to me?  In terms of money, it's worth the $5 I paid for it a few years ago.  It's a perfectly good reading copy if you ignore the staining I described for it on one of the two valuation threads (the stains seem to not impact the readability one bit, lucky me).

What's it worth as a roleplayer?  Immeasurable.  It's one of two licensed games dealing with Barsoom, the other being produced by Heritage Models.  As a "proto-RPG" (according to one source) some of what's in the book also made its appearance in a more finished form in Dungeons & Dragons.  In looking through it, the most recognizable things in it were the award tables provided for killing creatures and the concept of hit points.

While the Heritage Models Barsoom RPG was better produced, Warriors of Mars was FIRST, and that's what counts.  Is it worth the $350-$450 range it's been going for lately?  Not to me.  The amount that was paid for on this auction is reasonable for something with the perceived scarcity of this item.  Especially given that it had only one printing before being pulled off the market due to objections from the ERB estate.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:03 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:You and me are probably the only two that don't have one. Everyone else here is rich. :D

I have one, but I traded for it, and I'm far from rich (sigh...).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:05 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:Funny, I was about to post this auction and ask if I paid too much. I'm a big Burroughs fan, but had not seen this before. Is that a fair price? When I put in my first bid, the seller and I had agreed on closing the auction for $40, but my max got outbid so I had to bid to get on top again.

The last one on eBay sold for $305. Granted it was a first edition print and I assume your's is a later print, but I was planning on going higher. :D

IIRC, there's only one printing of WoM, so they're all first editions ;)

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:06 pm 

So what is rich, none of us except if you count AD&D collectables!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Previous