Arse!
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:44 am 

You lie around waiting to snipe something like this and the close early to sell to someone else on the board. :evil:  Did you really get it for $100 or do you have to pay $150 for shipping too?

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte ... RK:MEWA:IT

All's fair I suppose. I guess I might have done that to someone at some point. :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:50 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:You lie around waiting to snipe something like this and the close early to sell to someone else on the board. :evil: Did you really get it for $100 or do you have to pay $150 for shipping too?

All's fair I suppose. I guess I might have done that to someone at some point. :D

oh diddums :)

well the amount of time harami has sniped me etc, i have given up even going "ARSE" anymore....more like "ho-hum" or something :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:52 am 

killjoy32 wrote:oh diddums :)

well the amount of time harami has sniped me etc, i have given up even going "ARSE" anymore....more like "ho-hum" or something :D

Alan, I didn't even have the chance to snipe. That's an offer someone couldn't refuse.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:54 am 

yeah it was really wasnt it? i might have even bought it for that....er no i wouldnt - holding back....gotta maintain this stance, i need me dosh for about another 5 days or so....

ne'mind mate, another will come along!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:12 am 

You and me are probably the only two that don't have one. Everyone else here is rich. :D

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:25 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:You and me are probably the only two that don't have one. Everyone else here is rich. :D

I do not have one either; nor am I rich.....

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:49 am 

DOH!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:15 pm 

Aneoth wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:You and me are probably the only two that don't have one. Everyone else here is rich. :D

I'm certainly not rich, and I don't have one of these.  But today is a happy day for me.  

I just completed my first set of eBay auctions ever, and it's shaping up to be a net profit of about $12 USD. :)  

Hopefully I won't have any horror stories to post...  :)

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:19 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
Aneoth wrote:

I'm certainly not rich, and I don't have one of these. But today is a happy day for me.

I just completed my first set of eBay auctions ever, and it's shaping up to be a net profit of about $12 USD. :)

Hopefully I won't have any horror stories to post... :)

YAY! well done :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:37 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:You lie around waiting to snipe something like this and the close early to sell to someone else on the board. :evil: Did you really get it for $100 or do you have to pay $150 for shipping too?

Funny, I was about to post this auction and ask if I paid too much.  I'm a big Burroughs fan, but had not seen this before.  Is that a fair price?  When I put in my first bid, the seller and I had agreed on closing the auction for $40, but my max got outbid so I had to bid to get on top again.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:41 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Funny, I was about to post this auction and ask if I paid too much. I'm a big Burroughs fan, but had not seen this before. Is that a fair price? When I put in my first bid, the seller and I had agreed on closing the auction for $40, but my max got outbid so I had to bid to get on top again.

The last one on eBay sold for $305. Granted it was a first edition print and I assume your's is a later print, but I was planning on going higher. :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:46 pm 

Mine's in really crappy condition and I am FAR from rich.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:12 pm 

Traveller wrote:

Mine's in really crappy condition and I am FAR from rich.

on a scale of 1-10 - 1 being poor and 10 being rich, i am solidly stuck at about 1.3 :)

i was having a great week last week, til my mate over in the US told me that his garage was bigger than my house  :?

now that lottery win would come in bloody handy right now so i could go and cleansweep all them auctions :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:19 pm 

Man, I saw the WoM auction go up about 15 minutes after it started... didn't have a bid on it yet. I ALMOST emailed the seller asking if he had a BIN price in mind... if he'd said "I'll let you have it for $40", I don't know whether I would snap it up or I would have let him in on its true value.

If he'd offered it to me for $100, the the wouldn't have been an issue, I would have taken it for sure.

Regards

Mike

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:49 pm 

mdr003 wrote:Man, I saw the WoM auction go up about 15 minutes after it started... didn't have a bid on it yet. I ALMOST emailed the seller asking if he had a BIN price in mind... if he'd said "I'll let you have it for $40", I don't know whether I would snap it up or I would have let him in on its true value.

If he'd offered it to me for $100, the the wouldn't have been an issue, I would have taken it for sure.

Regards

Mike

What IS its true value?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:00 pm 

I don't know, it seems to go up and down. Keepontheborderlands sold a copy a few weeks ago for $450... that was after he relisted it when the original listing has passed in, not meeting the $300 reserve. I've seen a couple of other copies go in the last year for around $300, and a couple sell at below $200.

I've been after a copy myself for a while, but persoonally I think the W0M market is overheated, and the book is simply not worth that much. The lowest I've seen the book go for is $160, which IMO is about right for it - I would put its true value at between $120-160 - but having said that, all of the auctions over the last year or two have gone for more so who can say?

Regards

Mike

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:11 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:What IS its true value?

Non-D&D TSR - Warriors of Mars

(last statement; and also that $50-60 quote, in context, I think...)

Remember there was another discussion about that and the "resistance point" for most people was in the $120-150 band, as it is for many other items.

afoolandhis$ wrote:Funny, I was about to post this auction and ask if I paid too much. I'm a big Burroughs fan, but had not seen this before. Is that a fair price? When I put in my first bid, the seller and I had agreed on closing the auction for $40, but my max got outbid so I had to bid to get on top again.

And you paid the original price you'd agreed...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:43 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:The last one on eBay sold for $305. Granted it was a first edition print and I assume your's is a later print, but I was planning on going higher. :D

Nope; that'll be first (and only?) print, I'm fairly sure.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:58 pm 

What's Warriors of Mars worth to me?  In terms of money, it's worth the $5 I paid for it a few years ago.  It's a perfectly good reading copy if you ignore the staining I described for it on one of the two valuation threads (the stains seem to not impact the readability one bit, lucky me).

What's it worth as a roleplayer?  Immeasurable.  It's one of two licensed games dealing with Barsoom, the other being produced by Heritage Models.  As a "proto-RPG" (according to one source) some of what's in the book also made its appearance in a more finished form in Dungeons & Dragons.  In looking through it, the most recognizable things in it were the award tables provided for killing creatures and the concept of hit points.

While the Heritage Models Barsoom RPG was better produced, Warriors of Mars was FIRST, and that's what counts.  Is it worth the $350-$450 range it's been going for lately?  Not to me.  The amount that was paid for on this auction is reasonable for something with the perceived scarcity of this item.  Especially given that it had only one printing before being pulled off the market due to objections from the ERB estate.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:03 pm 

I have one, but I traded for it, and I'm far from rich (sigh...).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Next