Modules + 3 Hole Punching
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:53 am 

I am building up my monochrome collection a little. I won a couple of auctions last night and possibly made a mistake. I did not over pay but a couple of these are three hole punched.

Questions about this ...

Were any copied produced that were originally three hole punched or is this all done later by owners?

How hard does this hit the value on those?

Thanks!

And if you read this far, but don't feel it was worth your time, then I will say 'Read me no further, Lord or Lady ... and may the road rise up to meet your face."  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:40 pm 

I have a full set of monochromes (various printings) and none of them are 3-hole punched, for what its worth.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:15 pm 

Ok good to know, for the love!

And if you read this far, but don't feel it was worth your time, then I will say 'Read me no further, Lord or Lady ... and may the road rise up to meet your face."  :wink:

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:20 am 

Some items came three-hole-punched, but very few, typically supplements, accessories, or core books.  B2 is an exception to this, as some of the later printings were 3-hole punched.

If the holes are aftermarket, they do affect the value a lot.  Typically an item that has been hole punched will not be graded higher than VG.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:47 am 

Thanks dbartman. I have a sense that these were punched after market.  I was of course familiar with the Moldvay rulebooks beings punched, and more lately, the Monster and Treasure Assortment and some things like that.

I might end up turning them back into the Ebay Wild and stick with non-punched selections to be sure. Maybe when I find their replacements anyway.

Which brings a second thing to mind. I recently picked up a module or two that have a little rectangular notch out of the spine area. Having once been in the book industry, I seem to remember something about those. I think they are called cutouts. Something about inability of book stores to do returns on them if I remember right. Another thing to research.

Thanks again!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:51 pm 

Yes, those are remainder notches/marks for stock that was returned, sometimes repackaged, and discounted.  They are very common on products that were repackaged into 10th anniversary packs, and in discounted TSR items that were sold through stores such as Kay-Bee Toy & Hobby.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:11 pm 

Wait, 3-hole punched B2? B4 yes, but B2? Are we sure?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:01 am 

Tszii wrote in Modules + 3 Hole Punching:Wait, 3-hole punched B2? B4 yes, but B2? Are we sure?

Indeed...

Attachment:
09034_-_b2_-_the_keep_on_the_b.jpg

-SKA

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:14 am 

Iirc there should be also a punched version of X1...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:44 am 

Cerulean Rex wrote in Modules + 3 Hole Punching:Which brings a second thing to mind. I recently picked up a module or two that have a little rectangular notch out of the spine area. Having once been in the book industry, I seem to remember something about those. I think they are called cutouts. Something about inability of book stores to do returns on them if I remember right. Another thing to research.

dbartman wrote in Modules + 3 Hole Punching:Yes, those are remainder notches/marks for stock that was returned, sometimes repackaged, and discounted.  They are very common on products that were repackaged into 10th anniversary packs, and in discounted TSR items that were sold through stores such as Kay-Bee Toy & Hobby.

Really?

I'm familiar with that being common practice in the music industry, but I'm not sure I've encountered that with respect to bookselling.  I always thought cutting off the back cover or marking the bottom was how that was done with books.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut-out_( ... g_industry)
Remaindered book - Wikipedia
Stripped book - Wikipedia

Maybe those methods were impractical for modules and they had to steal the idea.

I've got an awful lot of modules, not sure if I have any notched anywhere.

Last edited by mordrin on Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:54 pm 

Here's a thread on the topic:

Re: New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year

And a couple of example pics from that thread:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:30 pm 

dbartman wrote in Modules + 3 Hole Punching:Here's a thread on the topic:

Re: New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year

And a couple of example pics from that thread:

I believe this is the first time I've ever seen the ' notch'. Curious what type of machine did that.  Is it like a one at a time thing where someone manually does it?

-SKA

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:10 pm 

Paper punches, hand or powered.  They had a variety of shapes.  You can still find some of them around, but not common nowadays.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:34 am 

Here's another notch example...

** expired/removed eBay auction **

-SKA

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:13 pm 

It looks like that copy probably came from a 10th anniversary combo pack.  The same seller has other modules listed with the notch that would have been in 10th Anniversary Combo Packs D3 / S1 / S3 / S4 and T1 / C1 / I1 / G1-2-3.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:04 pm 

Until recently I had a pair of 5th print B2 modules in shrink, one 3-hole punched and one not.

Same deal with B4 The Lost City (1st print, one punched one not, both original shrink).

My friends Dave & Gary made a quantum leap in the human soul. Remember them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:26 pm 

Thanks for the responses here folks. This is teaching a new collector a lot!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:04 pm 

ExTSR wrote in Modules + 3 Hole Punching:Same deal with B4 The Lost City (1st print, one punched one not, both original shrink).

Is one type more rare than the other? Hole punched rarer than not?  Or does it even matter?  The B4 with the red banner on its front cover is rarer than its brethren however I haven’t noticed any steep differences in prices across the printings.

Edit: Possibly answering my own questions… Quick search shows 28 results for B4.  Only 7 are hole punched and only 2 of 28 has red banner.

-SKA

Next