Shrink-wrap/sealed items
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:07 pm 

Let me first apologize - I'm quite new to the forum, and I am sure this has been addressed in the past!

But I wanted to ask the group here - so, if I've bought an item (say a module) that's in shrink, should I open it?

I'm thinking the answer is "yes", since it seems pretty clear that there is nothing intrinsically special or "mint" about
an item being in shrink. But wanted to get some sense from the experienced population on this forum.

Thanks in advance. And if I've blown-it, and there's an existing/past thread called "shrink-wrap for idiots", please just
direct me there...

- bc72

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:28 pm 

It's worth about 10 times as much if you don't break the shrink. :)

My friends Dave & Gary made a quantum leap in the human soul. Remember them.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:02 pm 

ExTSR wrote in Shrink-wrap/sealed items:It's worth about 10 times as much if you don't break the shrink. :)

Thanks for the response!

It certainly seems to me that in auctions, "in shrink" gets, as you say, a ~lot~ more.

But all the commentary here suggests that this is artificial or incorrect? I.e., that because most
anyone can re-wrap items, the "in shrink" may not mean that much?

I dunno - I feel a bit lost on this. Not that it's keeping me up at night - just love to hear the
community thoughts!

- bc72

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:59 pm 

Definitely shrink wrapped items fetch higher prices.

OTOH, you are correct to be skeptical. It has been said on here many times that shrink-wrapped is not a condition (in other words, a shrink wrapped items can still exhibit wear and tear like unshrinked items). And it is not that difficult to reshrinkwrap something. Not sure if there is any definitive list of how to tell new vs original shrink, but like any purchase, the more reputable a seller, and the more they disclose (through more photos or better descriptions, etc.), the more likely the item is to be authentic, and likewise the shrinkwrap is to be authentic.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:22 am 

Old shrinkwrap is often brittle, like it's settled into whatever shape it's been placed on. It is shiny & has an audible, crinkly quality. I'm not sure how much of this is from age, or from the differing composition of old shrink vs. new shrink, but I suspect the former. That is, I don't specifically have memories of stiff or crinkly shrinkwrap in the '70s or '80s, but the game table in those days was pretty wild & there was a lot going on in society. They say that if you remember the '80s, you weren't there. Or maybe I'm remembering the '60s. Or maybe someone describing the '60s, since I wasn't there. I do however own a '60s copy of Diplomacy with remaining bits of shrinkwrap, & it's real crinkly. Those must have been wild times...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:45 am 

bc72 wrote in Shrink-wrap/sealed items:...since it seems pretty clear that there is nothing intrinsically special or "mint" about
an item being in shrink.

Ouch...   8O

Shrink is not a condition as so wisely stated above, however it really depends on why you bought a shrink wrapped item in the first place.  People tend to buy these items to collect, not to open them.

- SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:44 am 

If you have questions about a specific item, you could always post photos here and get some opinions. Of course, that will probably mean some people say, "yes, it appears original," and others will say, "looks like aftermarket shrink to me," and you won't necessarily have any more clarity.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:36 am 

Thanks everyone!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:22 pm 

I should say that my comment relates to olden TSR D&D stuff only.
A 1990s 2e item is worth only slightly more in shrink. A 1970s D&D item is 10-20x. A non-D&D item (say, MSH) may be only 2x. And a non-TSR item, often 1.1-2x.

My friends Dave & Gary made a quantum leap in the human soul. Remember them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:54 pm 

To be more specific, you should be skeptical of the additional value of a shrinkwrapped item. Certainly, many people here have purchased them at small premiums to normal.

But, the value to the market broadly, for older stuff as mentioned, is much higher.

So, I'm not sure you'd pay 5-10x the price - or savvy collectors wouldnt. But it might be possible to sell it for that much - so be aware of that.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:42 pm 

The only time I gave in to the shrink-wrap hype was a sealed Moldvay/Cook Expert box set procured on eBay, that I still have to this day.

I read at the time that the way to tell "original TSR shrink wrap" was to look for a horizontal seam on the rear of the set, which my set has.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:35 pm 

I'm a shrink collector - I say go ahead and open it. The less inventory there is the more my collection is worth  8)

Side note, there's a social media thing where people do videos of opening shrink items called unwrapping videos. If you have an interesting item, like a box set, I'd record it for posterity.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:57 pm 

ExTSR wrote in Shrink-wrap/sealed items:A 1990s 2e item is worth only slightly more in shrink. A 1970s D&D item is 10-20x. A non-D&D item (say, MSH) may be only 2x. And a non-TSR item, often 1.1-2x.

'Super Mario 64' Breaks Video Game Auction Record With $1.56 Million - Rolling Stone

With sealed video games going for $870,000 & $1.56 million within the last couple of days, the shrink factor is rising.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:54 pm 

I love seeing a busy thread. :)

Keep the shrink on and buy another copy. Actually, buy two more copies. One play copy for reading and a mint, but not in shrink, just for fun.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:52 pm 

bc72 wrote in Shrink-wrap/sealed items:Thanks for the response!

It certainly seems to me that in auctions, "in shrink" gets, as you say, a ~lot~ more.

But all the commentary here suggests that this is artificial or incorrect? I.e., that because most
anyone can re-wrap items, the "in shrink" may not mean that much?

I dunno - I feel a bit lost on this. Not that it's keeping me up at night - just love to hear the
community thoughts!

- bc72

Here's how to know whether or not shrinkwrap is adds value:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

"You can find the SHRINKIES with this"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:52 pm 

"Shrinkage" is something that happens in a cold pool right?   :lol:

-SKA

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:31 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in Shrink-wrap/sealed items:"Shrinkage" is something that happens in a cold pool right?   :lol:

-SKA

They don’t know about that??

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:08 am 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in Shrink-wrap/sealed items:"Shrinkage" is something that happens in a cold pool right?   :lol:

-SKA

Significant shrinkage!