Dungeoneer's Survival & Wilderness Survival Guides
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:48 pm 

8O What's the deal with the price list on these two!? If I had these two in mint condition they are only worth $18 each.  But if I acquire the Hidden Ways and Wild things in mint then their worth $50 and $80 respectively even though in their SW form the books are the same as the stand alones. Why the BIG price differrence and why are HW &WT not list under Modules or Misc on ACAEUM so that their worth can be distinguished by themselves instead of with the DSG and WSG. :?

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:29 pm 

The big price difference is that finding the DSG with Dark and Hidden Ways or the WSG with Wild Things in the shrinkwrap especially are very rare. I believe the acaeum says that they were a limited edition thing. I've talked to people who were around at the time to buy the DSG and WSG from the stores and they have never heard of Wild Things or Dark and Hidden Ways. Its rare.  I guess its possible you could put a price on the modules itself but you'll have to ask scott about that.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:14 pm 

Finding the DSG and Dark and Hidden Ways / WSG and Wild Things seperately is not that difficult.  The hard part is finding the cardboard cover that covered the two.  The majority of the people that opened up their shrinkwrap seem to have discarded the cardboard cover.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:13 pm 

I never saw either supplmental module when I bought my copies of the two books upon release, so I am definitely among those Mike describes....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:16 pm 

These supplements did not come out at release.  From what I heard somewhere was that there was a huge overstock of these two guides that were not selling.  What better way to get rid of the overstock then to repackage the book with a supplement, slap on a cardboard sleeve, shrinkwrap and *POOF* ...a brand new product!  The marvels of modern marketing  :)   Ð  PS: I also think the original upc had to be invalidated.  That is why you sometimes come across upcs crossed out with marker.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:49 pm 

d20sites wrote:These supplements did not come out at release.  From what I heard somewhere was that there was a huge overstock of these two guides that were not selling.   PS: I also think the original upc had to be invalidated.  That is why you sometimes come across upcs crossed out with marker.
 Yep thats what I heard... By UPCS you mean the bar code? The cardboard covers were fully wraped around and the barcode was different on it from memory, the strike out is usually put on by discount shops so the items won't scan, usually because it is marked down and discontinued stock, and, they haven't gone to thr trouble of scanning in the barcodes and prices, these are usually returns to the manufacturer and bought in bulk...  Brette:)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:07 pm 

Just throwing in my 2 cents. I bought the Dungeoneer's w/ DHW new when it came out and my copy had the bar code on the hardback crossed out.  -burntwire

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:30 am 

I heard that the DHW and WT supplements were added to the 2 hardbacks for 2 reasons:  1)   To help shift a huge overstock of the manuals (I remember Virgin games selling them for £1.99 each!) 2)   To upgrade the manuals to AD&D 2nd Ed, whose arrival was fairly imminent at that time.  Take your pick. I would guess the truth is probably a combination of the two!  Richard