Heck, what are my chances of getting on the high end for
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:15 pm 

Heck, what are my chances of getting on the high end for an orange cover princess?

Ever since I saw the comment about there being too many of them, I've been wondering.

Regards,

Stephen

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:19 pm 

Heh - too many of them :wink:   Wonder whose hoarding all of them?  Keep on watching.  They do come up in SW once in while but haven't seen one for quite some time.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:23 pm 

dbartman wrote:Heh - too many of them :wink: Wonder whose hoarding all of them? Keep on watching. They do come up in SW once in while but haven't seen one for quite some time.

*rechecks*

Frank had one a couple of months back.

There seem to be a few private deals "off the scope", anyhow...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:46 am 

Howdy Steve,

Ethesis wrote:Heck, what are my chances of getting on the high end for an orange cover princess?

Ever since I saw the comment about there being too many of them, I've been wondering.

It all depends upon the condition and market, of course. No matter what, as soon as you sell it, 1-2-3 years later the price for them goes up and up and up. Obviously you can't hoarde it forever that typically results in futile speculation.

I'd say there are a few items that are not rare but are quite popular, kind of a benchmark for a collection. The availability of an orange B3 puts it in the realm of possibility for many more collectors than say a 1st print woodgrain or prepub R1. As such, there is a healthy competition for them. Much like a Deities and Demigods with Cthulhu and Melnibonean, it always fetches a good $40-$60 despite condition and that is for an item where there were ten's of thousands of them out there! There are dozens listed on eBay every day.

I personally have sold 2 MINT in shrinkwrap (working on my 3rd and 4th!). I sold them in 1996 for $300 each, the price was skyrocketing at the time, double from just a year before. Now look at the prices, certainly $500 to $1000 depending on condition. Should I have waited? Should I have waited until 2525? If you want to sell just wait 'til the market is on the upswing and then sell. But don't look back.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:47 am 

I still have 2 shrinked copies available. PM me if you are interested.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:03 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:I still have 2 shrinked copies available. PM me if you are interested.

now that is just showing off...pure and simple :D

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:31 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
Deadlord36 wrote:I still have 2 shrinked copies available. PM me if you are interested.

now that is just showing off...pure and simple :D

Oh yes, much worse than bragging, this... LMAO

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:06 pm 

No, showing off would be saying I have 2 copies. Marketing would be saying I have 2 AVAILABLE.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:31 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:No, showing off would be saying I have 2 copies. Marketing would be saying I have 2 AVAILABLE.

much as i would love to have one - my wallet won't stretch that far atm, which is a shame

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:46 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
Deadlord36 wrote:No, showing off would be saying I have 2 copies. Marketing would be saying I have 2 AVAILABLE.

much as i would love to have one - my wallet won't stretch that far atm, which is a shame

'specially if you're gonna be selling 'em for what it's going for in stormber's auction!!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:21 pm 

8)  :lol:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:15 pm 

*LOL!*

OK, I stand corrected, Frank; two copies it is, then. Or was there a third, and I got that wrong, too? ;)

stormber wrote:I personally have sold 2 MINT in shrinkwrap (working on my 3rd and 4th!). I sold them in 1996 for $300 each, the price was skyrocketing at the time, double from just a year before. Now look at the prices, certainly $500 to $1000 depending on condition. Should I have waited?

Heh. I think taking a time-machine back to 1983 would have been a better option, as I quoted Tim;

EGG / Stephen Marsh manuscript • Page 7 • Collecting General •  The Acaeum

Of course, few people would remember that effective 12 year plateau in price/value; and probably fewer believe that it could be repeated.

d.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:36 pm 

stormber wrote:Howdy Steve,

Ethesis wrote:Heck, what are my chances of getting on the high end for an orange cover princess?

It all depends upon the condition and market, of course. No matter what, as soon as you sell it, 1-2-3 years later the price for them goes up and up and up. Obviously you can't hoarde it forever that typically results in futile speculation.

I'd say there are a few items that are not rare but are quite popular, kind of a benchmark for a collection. The availability of an orange B3 puts it in the realm of possibility for many more collectors than say a 1st print woodgrain or prepub R1. As such, there is a healthy competition for them. Much like a Deities and Demigods with Cthulhu and Melnibonean, it always fetches a good $40-$60 despite condition and that is for an item where there were ten's of thousands of them out there! There are dozens listed on eBay every day.

I personally have sold 2 MINT in shrinkwrap (working on my 3rd and 4th!). I sold them in 1996 for $300 each, the price was skyrocketing at the time, double from just a year before. Now look at the prices, certainly $500 to $1000 depending on condition. Should I have waited? Should I have waited until 2525? If you want to sell just wait 'til the market is on the upswing and then sell. But don't look back.

Futures Bright,

Paul

I don't plan to wait, it is just amazing (you should get the module and the other stuff, mostly misc. excess, by Saturday according to the post office).

I'm just amazed and wanted to double check that it was a realistic price.  Now that I've recovered it from the thief, I've decided to sell it before it disappears again.

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:37 pm 

5+ days to go, and $810 right now... *wince*

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... RK:MEWA:IT

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:58 pm 

El Diablo Robotico wrote:5+ days to go, and $810 right now... *wince*

Nice!   :D

My copy is rising in value as we watch this historic event unfold right before our eyes.

....sorry I just got something in my eyes, and salty water seems to be dripping down the side of my face.... :D

sniff... *Wipes face with cloth....dabs the water away under the eyes...* ... sniff... there, that's better....  8)

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:43 pm 

El Diablo Robotico wrote:5+ days to go, and $810 right now... *wince*

It is fun to watch these auctions, the initial run-up, the "bids" which don't move the price (the top bidder increasing his reserve) and then the final close.

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:42 am 

US $910.00  

Surprising end point

Regards,

Stephen