GME, AMC, PHB,
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:23 pm 

Box sets I wouldnt have bought for $70 are now $140, played modules are still selling and now this...

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Beat up PHB for $400.

And this...

Can we keep the prices lower for a while longer please. There are still a hundred or so things I would like in my collection... :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:45 am 

Tszii wrote in GME, AMC, PHB,:Box sets I wouldnt have bought for $70 are now $140, played modules are still selling and now this...

Beat up PHB for $400.

And this...

Can we keep the prices lower for a while longer please. There are still a hundred or so things I would like in my collection... :)

Tszii, I think you are only seeing the tip of the iceberg with regards to inflation.  The amount of government QE sloshing around the world is unprecedented.  Will salaries keep pace?  Short answer is no, so I believe collectables will be capped (eventually) while money moves to essentials (like food and fuel).  Gasoline is 39 cents a gallon higher in NY since Biden took office and my fuel oil bills went from $450 per tank fill to nearly $800.  Crazy indeed.

-SKA

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:54 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in GME, AMC, PHB,:Tszii, I think you are only seeing the tip of the iceberg with regards to inflation.  The amount of government QE sloshing around the world is unprecedented.  Will salaries keep pace?  Short answer is no, so I believe collectables will be capped (eventually) while money moves to essentials (like food and fuel).  Gasoline is 39 cents a gallon higher in NY since Biden took office and my fuel oil bills went from $450 per tank fill to nearly $800.  Crazy indeed.

-SKA

This is where I see a divergence between common/uncommon desirable collectables, and the premium collectables market. Those with the means and knowledge to buy collectables of quality will already have worked their way through the common/uncommon collectables side of amassing a collection, and if they are still addicted/onboard with the whole D&D collecting thing, they tend to already have the means to assign disposable income outwith the realms of a lot of us, and they tend also to have both the patience and the foresight to place funds in assets that tend not to depreciate.

So whilst the common/uncommon collectables market, in the VGC/VF and NM is stuff that many collectors buy and fill gaps in bookshelves with, and these buyers may well reassign spare funds elsewhere as prices for other things increase, I suspect those with the ability and intent to collect the items of remarkable quality, and specific note/importance, and the unique items, will continue to value the products they are buying more than the depreciating currency they hold, and these tend to be people who have no real problem gathering currency.

So, for me, I see a divergence in prices as the reality of infinite money printing begins to take effect.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.