TSR boxed set display cases
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:16 am 

The Acaeum forums have many threads covering good suggestions for archival storage of modules, rule books, and boxed sets, but I haven't seen any discussion covering display cases.

I've seen some acrylic boxes for sale in various sizes for other collectibles and I wonder if anyone knows of a source of display cases for standard TSR boxed sets?  It seems to me that there are a great many items of the exact same dimensions which would benefit from display cases, but I haven't had any luck finding something appropriate. I have a few SW boxed set items and it makes me anxious to display these "naked" without any kind of protection. I'd love to find an acrylic case but custom fabrication appears to be quite expensive.

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, please let me know!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:18 am 

Additionally, if there isn't a pre-fabricated option out there, it occurs to me that we could collectively put in an order for some number of these cases, given that so many of us own vulnerable collectibles of similar dimensions.  Just an idea...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:10 am 

Amazon sells acrylic display cases, but most are a little large and fairly expensive.

Amazon.com: Better Display Cases: Books

This is an interesting possibility:

Amazon.com: Novel Box Half-Size Glass Top Black Leatherette Metal Clasp Jewelry Display Case 8.25X7.25X2 + Custom NB Pouch: Home & Kitchen

8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:37 am 

OP this is not exactly what you're looking for, but I display books by keeping them in plastic (or bagged boarded for softcovers) and then using a picture frame easel to prop it up on the book shelf facing out.
For open boxed sets that need long term storage, I bag/board the contents, stuff the box with tissue paper, and store it on it's side edge on a book shelf.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:02 pm 

Maybe something like this?  Size seems about right and you might even get two boxes in back-to-back.

Are You A Bot?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:41 pm 

ssparks111 wrote in TSR boxed set display cases:Maybe something like this?  Size seems about right and you might even get two boxes in back-to-back.

Are You A Bot?

I keep minis in those, and paints. Not painted minis. Unpainted minis in ziplock baggies. You can really pack them in.
They are also the perfect height for Vallejo and Armory paint bottles.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2021 2:11 am 

ssparks111 wrote in TSR boxed set display cases:Maybe something like this?  Size seems about right and you might even get two boxes in back-to-back.

Are You A Bot?

This might work for storage, but not for display.

I’m currently using something very similar but much larger - holds about 10 of them with almost no jiggle at all. Air tight with a latching lid from Target.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2021 11:29 am 

Maybe?

ULINE - Shipping Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Packing Supplies

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:38 pm 

Oh, that is promising - I'd prefer clear all around but this would have been close enough to try.  Unfortunately, the dimensions are just a bit too small by about an inch on the box width so I don't think it could work.

By my measuring, the standard TSR box (not white or woodgrain) is 9 3/8 wide x 11 5/8 long x 1 3/8 tall.  (A mint box would be slightly smaller - I deliberately measured a partially crushed box that is bowed out a bit on the sides).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:53 pm 

This, however, would work if you also put some little spacers in to prevent the inner box from sliding around:  ULINE - Shipping Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Packing Supplies

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2021 1:00 pm 

Gold standard for me would be something like these acrylic "Kollector Protector" hard cases with a slide out lid.  Some of these other collectors have quite a few options to work with.

Kollector Protector New hardcase review - YouTube

Without UV protection and something to prevent crush damage, I'd hesitate to have some of these older SW boxed sets out on a shelf where they might get damaged.