North Texas RPG Convention #13 June 3-6!
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:40 pm 

Haven't done one of these in awhile, sometimes forget everyone doesn't know about it. Yes we had a live in person con last year (with about 70 locals) and this year we are having the full experience!

Welcome to the North Texas RPG Convention! The NTRPG Con focuses on old-school Dungeons & Dragons gaming (OD&D, 1E, 2E, or Basic/Expert) as well as any pre-1999 type of RPG produced by the classic gaming companies of the 70s and 80s (TSR, Chaosium, FGU, FASA, GDW, etc). We also support retro-clone or simulacrum type gaming that copies the old style of RPGs (Swords & Wizardry, Castles & Crusades, and others). ANY RPG games are welcome at the Con, be it D&D 5E, or something we haven't even heard of, just be sure you can fill a table with 5-6 people before you ask to have it added to the schedule...

Our 13th annual convention dates are: Thursday June 3, until Sunday June 6. We also have a Pre Con Get-It-On Wed night the 2nd, where any games can be played on all open tables.

During Registration period, you can buy Con T-Shirts, we were little slow on Squeaky Cage/Raffle tickets this year but will get that up and running this week.

Please look around, read up and register if you plan to attend. You must pay for one day or a weekend before you are able to register for a game. Tabletop Events has all the information you need to sign up, just look up NTRPG con!

The Con will be held at the Westin DFW Airport Hotel | Marriott International : 4545 West John Carpenter Freeway, Irving , Texas 75063. It's just north of the airport. We have a special rate for con attendees ($110.00/night) that is in effect until May 15th, 2021 so don't delay in getting your reservations. Several nearby hotels (some within walking distance) offer cheaper rates for the budget minded.

We have the following confirmed guests at this time: Bill Barsh, Eddie Bartlett, Jason Braun, Ben Burns, Chris Clark, David 'Zeb' Cook, Darlene, Matt Finch, Skeeter Green, Allan Grohe, Matt Gullett, Allen Hammack, Jon Hershberger, Alex Kammer, David 'Diesel' LaForce, Steve Marsh, Steve Perrin, Merle Rasmussen, Dr. Scott Robinson, Elizabeth Stewart, Mike Stewart, Paul Stormberg, Dr. Dennis Sustare, Jeff Talanian, Thom Wilson, Steve Winter. The lineup usually includes several of the more important figures in the history of RPGs as a whole and Dungeons & Dragons in particular.

Besides Garycon, this is the premier old school style convention in the country with more classic gaming available than any other con in the south, run by some of the giants of the industry.  NTRPG Con has quickly become the best place in the south to meet and game with the past icons of the industry that typically only attend conventions in the midwest or northeast.   We are expecting 250 or so attendees this year as vaccinations ramp up and more people become Covid resistant.  Due to the unusual circumstances of the last couple of years we expect to receive many last minute attendees and walk ups. Cost for the entire con is $85, or $40 for just one day if you cannot make the entire con.

Discussion of Con events, guests, games, and misc is now back a the original forums, along with lists of raffle items, special guests, games being run, and much more is on the Facebook group Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/310434204630/

Right now on the Facebook page we are having auctions of rare and hard to find RPG items to help finance the con, not a bad time to join!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:04 am 

Good luck with the Con, Mike

Surprised Bill is making an appearance though after his debacle with the Acaeum mega dungeon...  :roll:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:11 pm 

We got the Squeaky Cage up and running finally! Even though it's late, Doug put some amazing items up for "raffle". Tickets are $5, you don't have to be present to win:

http://ntrpgcon.com/squeakycage-2021.ht ... z7f4e17a0o

01-Tiny Epic Games x 4 (Dinoasaurs, Mechs, Pirates, Zombies

02-NTRPGCon 10th Anniversary Dice Bag

03-Swords & Wizardry White Box (2010, shrinkwrapped)

04-Greyhawk (2nd print)

05-Blackmoor (1st print)

06-OD&D Whitebox OCE (7th print)

07-Tractics

08-Dragon Magazine #3

09-Dragon Magazine #4

10-Castle Zagyg boxed set (signed by Jeff Talanian)

11-Laser Cut Wooden NTRPG Con Dice Tower (Assembled)

12-"Free" Trip to NTRPGCon 2021 includes airfare/gas (if you drive) & hotel
-------[will award cash value reimbursement if you attend in 2022 non-transferable
(basically this is up to a $700.00 credit toward your travel/stay to the Con - receipts required)
(you must attend to receive the reimbursement)

Just a few additions, cause Doug does things fast and I take my time to stop and smell the roses.....
Castle Zagyg boxed set is signed by co-author Jeff Talanian;
The Swords & Wizardry Whitebox is the one from Brave Halfling in 2010, it is NM in the original shrink wrap;
The OCE White box (7th print, check Acaeum for details) has all the books and reference sheets, and is in really nice condition;
Greyhawk 2nd print is in Excellent shape with very little wear;
As I examine these I'll post more details....

NTRPGCON

Last edited by Badmike on Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:16 pm 

Can’t get the PayPal option to work Mike, is the PayPal name A.S.S.I.S.T., Inc./BBSFiles correct?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:45 pm 

ashmire13 wrote in North Texas RPG Convention #13 June 3-6!:Can’t get the PayPal option to work Mike, is the PayPal name A.S.S.I.S.T., Inc./BBSFiles correct?

It worked for me, should take you to this page:

PayPal

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:47 pm 

Bought some.  Wish I could be there!

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:42 am 

Someone should buy this and attend the con with it:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:55 am 

Badmike wrote in North Texas RPG Convention #13 June 3-6!:
It worked for me, should take you to this page:

PayPal

Mike B.

Odd, that link takes me to a page saying that link doesn’t work and to return to merchant :(

Could it be because I’m in the UK?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:28 am 

ashmire13 wrote in North Texas RPG Convention #13 June 3-6!:
Odd, that link takes me to a page saying that link doesn’t work and to return to merchant :(

Could it be because I’m in the UK?

Doesn't work for me either.

Mike - can I buy tix and pay for shipping to UK if I win. Hope the con goes amazingly!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:21 am 

I managed to buy tickets using the PayPal link in the top left hand corner, selecting quantity of tickets, and then proceeding through checkout.
I'm running Microsoft Edge on a Windows PC in the event that it's an OS/App compatibility issue.

Incidentally, how does the draw actually take place when you buy tickets but don't get ticket numbers? Do you just get a printout at the event with peeps names etc. and cut them into strips and put them all in a hat? Or does a computer pick entries from a database at random? Just curious?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:20 pm 

Can we buy Squeaky Cage tickets if we aren't attending the convention?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:32 pm 

carpocratian wrote in North Texas RPG Convention #13 June 3-6!:Can we buy Squeaky Cage tickets if we aren't attending the convention?

It doesn't say, but its a raffle, so presumably there would be shipping to pay if you win something.
I hope so, cos I can't get to Texas. We're not allowed out of the UK.  :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:45 pm 

carpocratian wrote in North Texas RPG Convention #13 June 3-6!:Can we buy Squeaky Cage tickets if we aren't attending the convention?

Yes, you don't have to attend. If you are out of the country, you may need to help us out with shipping.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:18 am 

For those of you who have never been, or even for those who have, here's some tips and reminders.  

First, remember that there are lots of special guests who have contributed to the role-playing library of materials, and most of them are very willing to sign stuff for you.  I'm personally not big on signatures, but some people are, so bring stuff to be signed if you like.  

Second, there's not a lot of places to eat around the hotel, and the hotel fare has had positive and negative reviews.  There will be a food truck there several days this year, so that should add a little variety.  However, if you plan on buying all your food on-site, your food bill can be substantial.  Therefore, consider bringing some food with you.  I personally bring some granola bars, a few oranges, and things like that.  You can save significantly, even if you do this for a few meals.  

Third, I am also bringing a sturdy box and some magazine bags to hold all the goodies I purchase from the convention to make their transportation back home a little more secure/safe.

Fourth, I don't know what it's going to be like this year, but last year some of the rooms were a little chilly.  I had a long-sleeve t-shirt which came in handy during a few games.

I am looking forward to seeing everyone!   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 5:13 pm 

I just remembered some of you aren't on Facebook and might not have seen this:

NTRPG con is family. It has been so since the beginning, and it is run by family. It’s no coincidence most of the people running the con are brothers, sons, grandkids, etc. You guys are all part of that family…you took a chance on us when we started this thing in a La Quinta with 50 people, and here we are thirteen years later known as one of the best RPG cons in the south, with a guest list some bigger cons envy. This is mostly due to Doug Rhea, who is an unstoppable force when it comes to getting things done, fearless when it comes to cold-calling guys like Larry Elmore to see if they will show up to our little con in Texas, willing to finance a con that breaks even at best, uncompromising on making sure his high standards are met every year. Which makes this announcement damn difficult…Doug won’t be able to attend NTRPG Con this year.

So it’s time to let you guys in on some family business. Doug has been very sick the past few months due to intestinal blockages because of the tumors inside him. Sick enough that he finally underwent surgery Tuesday to alleviate the blockages, take out parts of his intestine, and remove some of the tumors that have been growing in Doug for the past several years. For those that don’t know, Doug was diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer four years ago and given only a few years to live. Because of bi-weekly chemo he’s been able to beat the odds. By sheer toughness and will power alone he’s been able to plow through many health issues the past couple of years, most of which he hasn’t told anyone about since he’s a very private person. However, the present situation progressed to the point where hospitalization and surgery were inevitable, it’s just a damn shame it had to happen the week right before his favorite time of the year, NTRPG con.

The operation he underwent Tuesday was a major surgery that took six hours. Many things were removed and the doctor who did the surgery said it was “miraculous” how well it went considering the circumstances. We are very hopeful this surgery will alleviate much of the discomfort and pain he’s had recently and improve his quality of life in the long run. In the short term, however, things are rough. Doug still has not woken up after his surgery, and has a high fever (sign of infection). Because of this, we are looking at an extended hospital stay and then bed rest at home for probably two months at least. Even if he was awake, he would be in no shape with his compromised immune system to attend the con or meet with anyone in person. We hope he he wakes up and makes it home soon so he can watch some of the live feed from there, but we will also set something up at the con where you can tape personal well-wishes to Doug that he can watch later when he recovers. I know from talking to him the personal messages he’s gotten the last few years mean a lot to him. If you feel inclined, prayers and positive thoughts are also welcome, not just for him, but for his son, grandkids, and wife.

As for the con, we will get by in 2021. Gary Oliver, David Rhea and I can run this thing in our sleep, and we will still give you the best small con game experience you’ve had in, well, the past two years.  Some of the bells and whistles might be missing due to this happening with such short notice, but all we ask is that you take it in stride and have a great time gaming and saying hello to people you haven’t seen or sat at a table with in two years. Seriously, this is what will make Doug the happiest, knowing everyone here is having a blast. I know he would rather be here running his games and hanging out with us personally, but I’m hopeful this surgery will extend the time he has to keep at this convention thing for many more years, and he’ll be able to personally meet and greet everyone next year. His son David will be running all of Doug’s events, so be sure and tell him how much his father means to all of us when you see him at the con.

For this year, if you have any questions, one of us should be able to help you out. Yes everything is not going to be able to be run with the ruthless efficiency Doug usually brings to this. Be patient with us, and remember where we were last year and how much better this year is looking…smell a flower, have a taco, and be chill. I know a lot of you are saying “What can I do to help?”  The most useful thing you can do, if you are a con veteran (you know who you are), is to take it on yourself to help out a newbie or someone having an issue. Take that guy or gal with the confused expression aside and ask if you can help. Clean that table off that the staff hasn’t gotten to yet. Make sure someone looking for a game to play in knows what to do or bring them to a game yourself. Seriously, half the time a question pops up on the FB page it’s already been answered by con veterans before I even have time to reply myself. Your help this year will be greatly appreciated!

We will answer questions best we can on the NTRPG con page, but understand, everything I’ve just said is pretty much the extent of our knowledge. We will keep everyone informed to the best of our ability here on the page as news develops, please don’t inundate us with private messages because, well, this is all we know right now. Thanks in advance for your help, and for being a part of our lives and NTRPG con the past 13 years.

Mike B

Addendum:  Doug is now awake, and breathing on his own, but is in very fragile condition. He will be in the hospital for awhile, and his recovery will take time. However he's still in no condition to go home, or even watch the con on video, so we are going to tape as much of it as we can for him to be able to show him later.

NTRPGCON

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 6:21 pm 

Best of wishes for his rapid recovery.  He's been an incredibly positive force to the collecting hobby for many years.

Foul

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:07 pm 

Praying for Doug's recovery as well as comfort and strength to his family in this time.  Hoping all goes well for NTRPG Con.  One of these years I wish to attend.  In the meantime I did buy some Squeaky Cage tickets.  Thanks BadMike for updating us and hope all the attendees have a great time!

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 2:11 am 

We are all with you, Doug! The force is strong in you!

Next