arcaeum price guide...
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:55 am 

Where do I find books in this price range?

According to the website they're all recently updated.

If someone is selling a Near Mint condition Deities & Demigods Cthulu ver. For $160, then you've got a buyer right here. In fact I'll take 10.

Last edited by PigFacedOrc on Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:24 am 

PigFacedOrc wrote in arcaeum price guide...:Where do I find books in this price range?

If someone is selling a Near Mint condition Deities & Demigods Cthulu ver. For $160, then you've got a buyer right here. In fact I'll take 10.

Might post to look in the correct thread and someone may answer you

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:31 pm 

ashmire13 wrote in arcaeum price guide...:
Might post to look in the correct thread and someone may answer you

What's the correct thread?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:35 pm 

Try the classifieds for requests for buying.

Collecting appraisal for pricing queries

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:50 pm 

PigFacedOrc wrote in arcaeum price guide...:Where do I find books in this price range?

If someone is selling a Near Mint condition Deities & Demigods Cthulhu ver. For $160, then you've got a buyer right here. In fact I'll take 10.

I can't speak to any one particular book, but prices have risen quite considerably over the past year, more so that I have seen at any point since I've been here. If I have a copy of Book X, and I see that the price is rising and rising steadily, I am inclined to keep the book rather than recycle it back into the community, because the return on my investment will be higher in the future.

So when it comes to uncommon and rare books in VGC or NM condition, you are banking on either a collector who is liquidating a portion of their collection due to a financial constraint (been there - that's what happened to my collection), or a fluke that someone buys something in spectacular condition in a yard/garage sale and puts it on eBay. The latter is unlikely as I'd imagine yard/garage sales have been curbed by Covid restrictions and lower footfalls in our neighbourhoods, and with the latter I suspect the bulk of collectors are sitting put and only adding to their positions, due to price rises, greater income (lack of commuting) and/or stimulus checks.

Because of the lower volume of products that are track making sales, and eBay being overly weighted towards resellers that just list items at excessive prices week in week out, and the removal of historic price searching, data is likely in the future to come in more spaced out clumps, and I suspect instead of seeing smooth constant fluctuations of pricing, we'll see more significant jumps, further apart, and probably constantly upwards.

At least that's how I'm seeing the buy/sell landscape.

I've ceased collecting and look now for either specific individual undervalued items that I believe will be a good investment, or specific individual items I want physical copies of for one reason or other. And of course I'll continue to invest in authors or artists who I believe should be helped to bring products to market.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:33 pm 

I agree with you in some ways, but have patience. I have bought 2x very fine copies of Deities & Demigods Cthulu ver for <$150 a pop recently (one 4 months ago from this sites forums and the other on ebay).

Certainly, most prices that are transacted at on Ebay are premium to Acaeum valuations. In this market I see the Acaeum valuations as more guides for what you could get if you were a motivated seller and had to jam it down someones throat in a couple days.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:21 pm 

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will be patient. :)

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:43 pm 

The Acaeum valuations reflect past recorded sales history and current sales. It is not really meant to be a price guide. These valuations are tempered by all sales, therefore you will not see short-term fluctuations reflected in them.  As was mentioned, we are currently experiencing a spike in sales prices, especially for rare, NM, and SW items, which will likely continue and could become the new norm.  In that case the valuations with eventually be closer to what the new norm is.  Many have risen significantly in the past year.

The valuations do not take into account most private sale or BINs, which are often not market driven, and might not be verifiable, thus they are normally excluded.  eBay has been moving more towards the BIN / fixed price model for sales, which has resulted in wildly varying prices, often without any real substance behind the prices.  Still, if an item is really desired, someone will pay these higher BIN prices.

If you look to the right of the valuations and hover over red lightning bolt, you can see the historical trend for the values of a specific item.  You will see that not all items are rising in price, but a lot are.  SW is a wildcard, as the prices can go for many times what is listed for NM items.  The same applies for items that have some special significance, such as an autographed item, or an author's personal copy.

You can read more about the purpose of The Acaeum here:

Front Desk

FAQ

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:17 am 

Thanks for that great explanation!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:59 am 

By the way, your webpage looks interesting  :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"