Reflection...
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:27 pm 

Recently I've been on a kick to re-inventory everything and snap updated pictures.   The last time I did this it was extremely painful using a 1 megapixel camera that eventually stopped working so I proceeded by scanning items on an old HP flatbed scanner... The good ole days...  Anyways, I'm almost done and having taken over a thousand pictures with my new iPhone SE (I like small phones). I've come to realize a few things...

-> I hate taking fkn pictures.  I suck at it and if that's not bad enough, moving, cataloging and naming them sucks even more.  :(
-> It's brutal work.  Maybe it's me, but taking stuff out of the bags they were put in over 2 decades ago is not fun and handling them like a surgeon with a heart in your hands gets tiresome.  ( Overly dramatic? Of course... I know what you all are thinking.  Shut up already and stop posting drivel.  Hell that is what I'm thinking at this very moment.)

Anyways, what I wasn't expecting was how the smell and feel of these things can bring back the vivid memories of kicking some serious slavers @ss and also the awful feeling of getting stomped by Lolth at the same time.  I'm not sure how often you all do this, but the nostalgic factor made it completely worthwhile.  

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:13 am 

Ah, that great , terrible , feeling. Been there.

Lots of fun and memories but a pain in the @ss , as you said.

Where's the pictures???

Mike

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:27 am 

Yeah, the nostalgia factor is great, but the looks I get from my wife (a non-player) when I chuckle to myself are not. The main reason I am cataloging my collection, is that they have been unwrapped since I bout them, and need to be treated better. Plus I need to know what I have.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:58 am 

chromaticknight wrote in Reflection...:
Where's the pictures???

They are coming Mike.  I have created a Google drive account specifically for sharing.  I am about 1/3 the way done with cataloging them.  Noting the printing information is proving to be the most time consuming at this point.  Ill publish the share link in a week or so based on my current progress.  Looking at some of the pictures a couple will need to be redone.  I'm leaving them for now until i get tired of the critics bashing the hell out of them.   :D   Be gentle... LOL

- Len

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:50 am 

I can only imagine the work involved

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:21 pm 

How long did it take? I cant figure out to do as well with my stuff...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:06 pm 

aia wrote in Reflection...:How long did it take? I cant figure out to do as well with my stuff...

Short answer is too long.   :D

What really drove the time was the size of the item and its condition.. Some took a minute to take out of its bag, snap a picture of the front and back and then put it back in its bag.  Now the Fate of Istus  module took 10 minutes because it barely fit into a standard bag and after being in there so long I couldn't budge it without destroying the shrink. I was about to give up when I found larger bags so I finally cut the old bag it was in and when I was done, I put it into a new larger one.  Only the really thick items have posed an issue like this.  Curious if anyone else has had this difficulty.

On average I could do pictures at a rate of about 20-25 items an hour and then another hour or so moving, renaming, cataloging those said pictures.

I hope that gives some sort of ballpark.  

-SKA