Conan Role Playing Game
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:06 pm 

I came across an entire set of Conan RPG items from TSR that came out in 1985.  The box set and 3 modules.  Besides what I unearthed from Wikipedia (ugh) is there any more reference sites out there?  Obviously the world of Conan is huge, however I couldn't find anything particularly relevant to this set... I don't see much in terms of activity on eBay at the moment and remembering the carnage of the mid 80's at TSR leads me to believe that if a product didn't hit a homerun it was chopped which would account for its fall into obscurity.  

Thanks in advance.

-SKA

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:11 am 

According to TSR Archive, there was only the box set and 3 modules.  You now have a complete set. Congrats!

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:26 pm 

It's a shame the product wasn't received better...  A game review from White Dwarf #69

CONAN Role-Playing Game TSR Inc

'Crom's Teeth', muttered Conan, 'they've had me doing some daft things in my life: Barbarian, Reaver, Slayer, Conqueror, Comic Book, AD&D Module, and now a Role-Playing Game. Mayhap 'tis something to help Arnie Schwarzenegger with his acting.' In far off, serpent infested Stygia, Thoth Amon looked up from his crystal ball and smiled malevolently: this time he'd ruin the Cimmerian's reputation for good. Verily,'tis true,from the mystic shores of Lake Geneva comes another TM'd RPG. Conan, I suppose, is a big enough name to deserve his own game despite the fact that TSR already produce the biggest selling fantasy RPG. Besides, it gives them a chance to get things right this time. To start with it is simple. Taking a leaf out of Marvel Super Heroes it has just about everything boiled down to a single, colour-coded Resolution Table. If there is anything that isn't covered then the GM is encouraged to wing it. What rules there are encourage role-playing and atmosphere; for example, it is impossible to become any good as a sorcererwithout acquiring all of the unpleasant habits for which Hyborian magicians were known and feared. And the rulebooks actively promote roleplaying wherever possible, encouraging the players to see their characters' lives as a story and providing a fair wealth of background for a Hyborian campaign. Just about everything that, in my view, is wrong with AD&D has been put right for Conan. But.. . The editing is absolutely appalling. The game looks as if it was flung together in two days flat. Not, I hasten to point out, because of the quality of materials which, with one exception, is up to the usual high TSR standard, but because of the vast number of simple errors that even a few hours proofreading could have caught and put right. There is a table on page 13 where the typesetting errors leap off the page and grab you by the throat. On page 2 the section telling you how to roll dice is wrong. I get the impression that there were quite a few bugs in the systems as well because there is a 4 page 'Reference Sheet' included which makes several significant changes to the rules. 'Last minute errata sheet' might have been more appropriate. We can add to this sorry tale some errors of presentation. The rules are very badly set out and explained. They start talking about modifiers to combat damage three pages before they tell you how damage is calculated in the first place. You don't find out that you have to roll Luck Points for your character until the Experience section, 18 pages after the end of Character Generation. Also someone thought it might be nice to present the Hyborian background material as a set of long lost academic notes, so the neatly typed information is covered in spidery, handwritten comments, ink smudges and poor line drawings. It is quitethe most ugly thing TSR haveever produced. It's a great shame. With a bit of care it could have been a very good product. Most of the errors are essentially cosmetic and even with them I still prefer it to AD&D. Hopefully TSR will produce a second edition -after they've tightened up on their quality control.

Complexity: 4
Value: 6
Ease of Use: 4
Production: 7
Overall: 7

Pete Tamlyn

-SKA

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:05 pm 

Put. Them. Up. On. The . Wiki.

Please?

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:51 pm 

Someone beat me to it Joe.   :D

Here are some quick pics I took...

Attachment:
IMG_0675.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_0677.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_0676.jpg

-SKA

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:03 am 

In case anyone is interested, this should be a list of most, if not all, of the Conan-related TSR products:

CODE             TYPE / PUBLISHER                                              DESCRIPTION
CB1                CONAN THE BARBARIAN ADVENTURES                 CONAN UNCHAINED!
CB2                CONAN THE BARBARIAN ADVENTURES                 CONAN, AGAINST THE DARKNESS
CN1                CONAN ROLEPLAYING SYSTEM ADVENTURES        CONAN THE BUCCANEER
CN2                CONAN ROLEPLAYING SYSTEM ADVENTURES        CONAN THE MERCENARY
CN3                CONAN ROLEPLAYING SYSTEM ADVENTURES        CONAN TRIUMPHANT
RS1                AD&D RED SONJA                                               RED SONJA UNCONQUERED
8519              ENDLESS QUEST, SERIES ONE                             THE ENDLESS QUEST BOOK #19: CONAN THE UNDAUNTED
8520              ENDLESS QUEST, SERIES ONE                             THE ENDLESS QUEST BOOK #20: CONAN AND THE PROPHECY
8525              ENDLESS QUEST, SERIES ONE                             THE ENDLESS QUEST BOOK #25: CONAN THE OUTLAW
5402              TSR MINIATURES, BOXED SETS                           AD&D CONAN SET #1
5403              TSR MINIATURES, BOXED SETS                           AD&D CONAN SET #2
7014              TSR BOXED SETS AND BOOKS, CONAN                CONAN ROLE-PLAYING SYSTEM

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:58 pm 

In 1986 for the RPGA Skip Williams & Penny Petticord wrote the Red Sonja Unconquered! convention adventure.

Shrink is not a condition

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:32 pm 

These look pretty cool... One of the sets dbartman listed above...

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

--SKA

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:33 pm 

stratochamp wrote in Conan Role Playing Game:In 1986 for the RPGA Skip Williams & Penny Petticord wrote the Red Sonja Unconquered! convention adventure.

That would be nice item to have in the collection. :)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:29 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in Conan Role Playing Game:These look pretty cool... One of the sets dbartman listed above...

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

--SKA

Very cool. Never seen the TSR Conan miniatures.

There's a retroclone called ZEFRS.