how rare is this really?
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:13 am 

MrFilthyIke wrote:Unless something "bad" happened to them.

You've never seen horror, till you've seen WotC retail store employees ordered to destroy all remaining 2e stuff in stock. Not return. Destroy. They were all gamers, and didn't have the heart. Funny how things disappear... 8O

Wow, this magic stuff really works.  8O I distinctly recall wishing someone would burn all this "evil 2nd Edition" stuff -- sometime around 1990.   :P

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:25 am 

deimos3428 wrote:
MrFilthyIke wrote:Unless something "bad" happened to them.

You've never seen horror, till you've seen WotC retail store employees ordered to destroy all remaining 2e stuff in stock. Not return. Destroy. They were all gamers, and didn't have the heart. Funny how things disappear... 8O

Wow, this magic stuff really works. 8O I distinctly recall wishing someone would burn all this "evil 2nd Edition" stuff -- sometime around 1990.  :P

i just think the whole corporate idea of "destroying" things like that is ludicrous. why not just give em away or sell em real cheap or something. typical of society nowadays.  :?

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:30 am 

I remember the days of the crusades of integralist Christian groups against evil D&D cultists. I bet they have burned some material too.

Happened even here.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:50 am 

well its happened through time and any number of occasions.

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:04 pm 

Whew!

I was worried I was in for a slamming!

I'm glad you guys were easy on me.  It's not easy to be the 12th Angry Man.

Lloyd Brown

Just some guy

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:18 am 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 42894&rd=1

Never seen anything like it, nor heard about the company. Any takers?  :)

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:34 am 

Same seller has sold two other copies, for $4.50 and & $7.02, Guess I will trow in a bid for the hell of it, but I doubt its that rare.  Ehh, who knows.

~jeff

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:36 am 

Hmmmm... maybe the seller and the author are the same person?  :wink:

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:47 am 

rosenkav wrote:Hmmmm... maybe the seller and the author are the same person? :wink:

No. The copy I bought say's 'to Kevin' or some such thing. I suspect he has a box of them and the 'autograph' is just bull.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:50 am 

If I win I will scan the autograph and post it, see if it's the same person that had it autographed.

Guy might have also picked up a number of them at a con or something...posibly hoping to resell? There does sem to be a number of speculators in the market these days.

~jeff

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:58 am 

IIRC, that guy has been selling those thing on Ebay for years(I'm talking like 5 or 6 now).  As matter of fact, I think that may be the only thing that he has ever sold on Ebay. As I recall a long while ago, he used to have them running like at least once or twice a week kind of like this guys stuff:

eBay listings

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:05 am 

Hrmm, well either way I don't own a copy yet, and I keep getting outbid on the items you are selling, so I do have a little discretionary cash left.

~jeff

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:06 am 

bclarkie wrote:IIRC, that guy has been selling those thing on Ebay for years(I'm talking like 5 or 6 now).

And they were all signed by the author. You'd figure if he was the author and he sold you a copy, he wouldn't sign it 'Best wishes Kevin, you're a really great guy' or some shit like that. For $5 if you want the book its an okay buy. It'll be in ming condition. But don't expect a genuing autograph. I saw a guy selling a copy of Fiend Folio a month back, signed by Gary Gygax, except ho wouldn't say where he got it signed or post a photo of the signiature. :evil:

I've got an empty Pepsi can that Gary used if anyone wants it. Don't rush in, I've got plenty. :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:46 pm 

LloydBrown wrote:I'm going to pipe in here with a respectful dissenting opinion. The D&D Rules Cyclopedia is a rarer item.

I respectfully disagree with the respectful dissenting opinion. :)

We're all going to have different internal definitions of "rare," which I'm cool with, but the Cyclopedia is a pretty easy score for anyone looking. As of this moment (Sunday morning, 3/13/05), there's EIGHT of them available on eBay. For comparison, that's three more than the five Q1 modules available right now, one more than the seven S3s, and only two less than the 10 B2s ... obviously not a very scientific comparison, but I'm hoping the point gets across. None of those modules has ever once been considered "rare."

Sorry, but the Cyclopedia is an easy find (and, as mentioned more than once, a nice product, too).

Previous