how rare is this really?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:25 pm 

D&D Rules Cyclopedia. I didn't think it was all that rare, but according to this auction description:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... eName=WDVW

Am I wrong?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:34 pm 

Not all that rare. I own a couple copies of it. You see them all the time on eBay. It is a very nice book even though it is not all that rare. They usually sell pretty well.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:35 pm 

Consdering, I see them on EBay at least every couple of weeks, I wouldn't say its that rare.  :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:50 pm 

A nice book, though. Everyone involved did a nice job with streamlining the rules into a thoughtful, coherent whole. If I ever started playing again — not likely, I admit — I'd probably give the Cyclopedia serious consideration for being the default campaign rules.

To answer your original question: not at all rare.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:01 am 

So it's as I thought. A bit of auction hyperbole.

yay for me. :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:05 pm 

Just make sure you get the unofficial errata for the book.

Yahoo! GeoCities: Get a web site with easy-to-use site building tools.

NOTE: Geocities does not allow remote loading, so if anyone receives an error clicking on the link, copy and paste the link into a new browser window and it will open.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:38 pm 

Not a rare book, but a damn nice one.  Can't go wrong owning a few.  8)

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:07 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Consdering, I see them on EBay at least every couple of weeks, I wouldn't say its that rare. :roll:

Rarer than OCEs, then? :D

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:33 pm 

Traveller wrote:Just make sure you get the unofficial errata for the book.

NOTE: Geocities does not allow remote loading, so if anyone receives an error clicking on the link, copy and paste the link into a new browser window and it will open.

Thanks Traveller. I have printed the errrata sheets and added it as an insert to the book I have. :)

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:27 am 

El Diablo Robotico wrote:D&D Rules Cyclopedia. I didn't think it was all that rare, but according to this auction description:

I'm going to pipe in here with a respectful dissenting opinion.  

The D&D Rules Cyclopedia is a rarer item.  

The guys on the Acaeum are so jaded that if there were more than 12 of something made, it's common as dirt.  Okay, I'm exaggerating, but you get the point.  

When I owned a game store, I could sell the Rules Cyclopedia pretty quickly for $20-25.  Just after 3rd Edition came out, back when all of the prices were fat & happy, I could sell it all day for $35 (that would be about a 98% gross profit margin, btw).  

I count common items as Keep on the Borderlands, Isle of Dread, 2E DMGs, Complete Thieves Handbook.  Uncommon items are Grayhawk Adventures, Oriental Adventures, Isle of the Ape.  Rarer items are pastel G series, Rules Cyclopedias, Complete Necromancer's Handbook, Castle Grayhawk.

Even items that are considered very rare to most non-specialized stores are common here:  Deities & Demigods with, early print core books, OCEs.  

Fewer than 1% of the items I bought in collections fit that "very rare" category, and probably no more than 2-3 % in the rare.

Lloyd Brown

Just some guy

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:11 pm 

Lloyd,

It is not a common item by an means. For my part at least I did not mean to make it sound like a B2 or X1. I guess it is all relative. Before the advent of eBay items like that were "rare". The OCEs were very rare and things like an orange B3 were mythical ( I remember going maybe the first 10 years I was roleplaying before I saw one in person). Things like PotVQ and the other things that evoke so much attention here were unknown to almost all except those in the industry. It all has to deal with the market that the buyer is exposed to. As opposed to the older gaming supplies of a city or county we now see a worldwide level of tems and thus the relative rarity drops off. So if someone does not have a Rules Cyclopedia they should seriously consider getting one....they just don't need to get in a bidding war over it because there will be another one later in the week or at most a few weeks later

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:28 pm 

I proudly bought mine brand spankin new from the FLGS, and have kept it in near pristine shape (would rate it at fine as it has been read).  Currently it has the most classic of book covers on it, a paper bag.  The errata is tucked into the front pocket made by the book cover.

For project research though, I'd rather flip through the PDF I have of the Rules Cyclopedia.  For actual playing, a PDF doesn't hold a candle to the real thing.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:38 pm 

LloydBrown wrote:The guys on the Acaeum are so jaded that if there were more than 12 of something made, it's common as dirt. Okay, I'm exaggerating, but you get the point.

And to add to that, the RC is a beloved book.  Many basic fans swear it is the ultimate game system.  It's a great book, been reading my copy lately.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:45 pm 

Traveller wrote:Just make sure you get the unofficial errata for the book.

Thanks!

Regards,

Stephen

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:03 pm 

MrFilthyIke wrote:
LloydBrown wrote:The guys on the Acaeum are so jaded that if there were more than 12 of something made, it's common as dirt. Okay, I'm exaggerating, but you get the point.

And to add to that, the RC is a beloved book. Many basic fans swear it is the ultimate game system. It's a great book, been reading my copy lately.

I think you hit the nail on the head.  They're rare in the sense that gaming stores are rare, at least decent non-gouging ones.  And it's fairly rare that someone wants to part with a RC, because it is such a decent item.  But they aren't truly rare in the sense of "few of them printed".  

Besides, anything which I could have purchased in vast quantities a mere decade ago cannot be considered rare!  :D

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:48 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
Besides, anything which I could have purchased in vast quantities a mere

decade ago cannot be considered rare! :D

Unless something "bad" happened to them.

You've never seen horror, till you've seen WotC retail store employees ordered to destroy all remaining 2e stuff in stock. Not return. Destroy. They were all gamers, and didn't have the heart. Funny how things disappear... 8O

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:07 pm 

MrFilthyIke wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:
Besides, anything which I could have purchased in vast quantities a mere

decade ago cannot be considered rare! :D

Unless something "bad" happened to them.

You've never seen horror, till you've seen WotC retail store employees ordered to destroy all remaining 2e stuff in stock. Not return. Destroy. They were all gamers, and didn't have the heart. Funny how things disappear... 8O

That's just... wrong! I completely empathize with the employees. SOG! (Save Our Games)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:20 pm 

El Diablo Robotico wrote:That's just... wrong! I completely empathize with the employees. SOG! (Save Our Games)

And for you collectors out there, they were ordered to destroy Silver Anniversary boxed sets in that mix. Oh the horror. :cry:

Next