Smoky Smell Devaluation
Author

Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:31 pm 

How much (by a percentage) would you devalue a book, box set, or module if it had a smoky smell to it?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:42 am 

Personally, I’d say any item that smells of smoke (cigarette presumably) is worth 10% of its regular value, tops. But that’s just me. I probably wouldn’t even buy it in the first place

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:19 am 

ashmire13 wrote in Smoky Smell Devaluation:Personally, I’d say any item that smells of smoke (cigarette presumably) is worth 10% of its regular value, tops. But that’s just me. I probably wouldn’t even buy it in the first place

But lets say someone comes in and blows smoke on your collection for a year without telling you. What do you sell for? I dont know how much actual damage is done - but id probably sell for 30% off what i would otherwise?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:24 am 

I'm voting for nil value. An odor could wear off onto whatever you store it next to. I'm not going to build an extra room onto my house to store it safely, even for 35% off.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:58 am 

I would say at least 10% off, probably 35%.  However, I have personally had good success with airing out items with smoky smell, but the process takes forever.  I had a number of Dragon magazines, and by opening each one up, and letting each page air out in the open for a couple of days, I got rid of the 99% of the smell.  I'm not going to go through that again.   :?

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:59 am 

Beethovens_9th wrote in Smoky Smell Devaluation:How much (by a percentage) would you devalue a book, box set, or module if it had a smoky smell to it?

Depends on whether or not it came from RJK. If its an RJK original then its authentication.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:08 pm 

shadeun wrote in Smoky Smell Devaluation:
But lets say someone comes in and blows smoke on your collection for a year without telling you. What do you sell for? I dont know how much actual damage is done - but id probably sell for 30% off what i would otherwise?

How’s that even a thing? If it’s my collection, it won’t get smoked damaged
If it’s being sold as smoke damaged, it’s worth bugger all to me I’d say.
Not sure what your point is really.  :roll:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:23 am 

Beethovens_9th wrote in Smoky Smell Devaluation:How much (by a percentage) would you devalue a book, box set, or module if it had a smoky smell to it?

I'd say common items become essentially worthless. But the rarer the item, the less impactful the smoke would have on the value.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:34 am 

ashmire13 wrote in Smoky Smell Devaluation:
How’s that even a thing? If it’s my collection, it won’t get smoked damaged
If it’s being sold as smoke damaged, it’s worth bugger all to me I’d say.
Not sure what your point is really.  :roll:

I just mean, lets say you wanna buy a copy of something worth a couple hundred to a thousand bucks - like "The Aid of Falx" is atm.

If it has a smoky smell, im going to air it out in the summer and then hermetically seal it and then perhaps im willing to pay whatever i think is fair value minus 35%-40% (given I think -30% is fair, im a buyer at below that)

The module aint that big and I reckon I could on-sell it // ensure the smoky smell doesnt go elsewhere on my collection

seems like a decent enough deal for me to take that risk.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:50 am 

That makes more sense

But having someone sneak into my collection and blow smoke on it for a year?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:47 pm 

I may be the lone, or one of few, dissenters on these topics.  You can get rid of smoke smells.

Keep in mind, if you have a book with brown edges and white page faces, it very well may be smoke damage. It doesnt smell like smoke anymore because people quit smoking indoors 20 years ago. Its just been long enough for the smell to go away. (People sure did smoke in their homes in the 70s and 80s though, crazy right? idk)

Smoke smells, really any smells, are not tolerable, but you can look online for ways to get rid of them. Personally, when I have a module with smoke (thankfully this is rare) I have essentially left them outside. We have a bakers rack with drawers under a covered porch. The airflow of being outside, occasionally turning pages, will get rid of smoke smells. It will take weeks.

Think of activated charcoal, used to get rid of smells. Its commonly something that was charred to heck-and-gone then crushed. Even camp fires dont smell like smoke after a couple of months. Anyway...

Take care of these items. Dont throw them out.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:10 pm 

Tszii wrote in Smoky Smell Devaluation:Smoke smells, really any smells, are not tolerable, but you can look online for ways to get rid of them. Personally, when I have a module with smoke (thankfully this is rare) I have essentially left them outside. We have a bakers rack with drawers under a covered porch. The airflow of being outside, occasionally turning pages, will get rid of smoke smells. It will take weeks.

Doesn't this present a danger of warping from the temperature & moisture changes?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:00 am 

I imagine weather conditions could turn this into a train wreck. Ive left two box sets and and two modules, DQ1 and I11, out there, both were from October into December. I live in the midwest. The modules smelled like  bad bbq. I think they came from a house fire. Spellbound and The North probably came from a home where people did smoke inside.

Maybe I should have been more clear? :) Yea, dont just leave stuff outside. Look online for ideas first. Outside does work for kids cloths!

But you can get rid of smoke smells. Dont throw modules in the trash! Stop it!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:24 am 

I have lots (75?) of Rob Kuntz original items. Without fail they all smelled like a Turkish Bey had been blowing smoke on the them for 100 years. But they are artifacts, so I took steps to eradicate the odors. In some cases it took years. I would never buy a  non unique item that is smoke smothered. It is just not worth the effort unless the item is irreplaceable (for me anyway).

Shrink is not a condition

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:44 am 

^^^^^^
What stratochamp said.

I have a box set that I still haven't been able to eradicate the smoke smell from after many months.  It wasn't listed as smelling of smoke, or I never would have purchased it.  If it wasn't a rare box set it would have been returned.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:50 am 

stratochamp wrote in Smoky Smell Devaluation:I have lots (75?) of Rob Kuntz original items. Without fail they all smelled like a Turkish Bey had been blowing smoke on the them for 100 years. But they are artifacts, so I took steps to eradicate the odors. In some cases it took years. I would never buy a  non unique item that is smoke smothered. It is just not worth the effort unless the item is irreplaceable (for me anyway).

If I understand correctly, these are the notes & grimoires which RJK brought back from his expedition to the fabled City of Brass, inhabited by fire elementals. So the smoke damage is from exposure to planes of existence not our own. Definitely artifacts worthy of research, but you have to be careful with that sort of thing. You might think you've removed all the alien parasite spores, but most tests are for life AS WE KNOW IT.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:09 am 

Have you tried this?  It seemed to work on getting mildew smell out for me.
Amazon.com : Ona

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:13 pm 

It's quite a surprise the first time you open a package from RJK. If you're not prepared, it can really knock the breath out of you. Did anyone ever get anything direct from EGG? Frank may haps? Was it the same getting things from EGG?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.