Anyone here collect toys?
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:57 am 

What with the thread on book collecting generating some interest, I thought I'd ask whether some intersection exists between toy collectors & RPG collectors on this forum.

I've been looking more closely recently at Mattel's Battlestar Galactica line from 1978-9. On one hand, their flagship products (the Raider & the Viper) were great, aside from those pesky missiles. On the other hand, every other toy from the line seems to have major problems. What went wrong? I've been reading about this a little on the web, but nothing which explains why they bungled it so completely.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:47 am 

There was a TV series here called Space 1999 and I have (or rather had, I sold them) some of the models from that.

Here is an example (not mine!).

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:29 am 

I had that too as a kid  :) memories

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:03 am 

... of a certain age.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:01 am 

sauromatian wrote in Anyone here collect toys?:What with the thread on book collecting generating some interest, I thought I'd ask whether some intersection exists between toy collectors & RPG collectors on this forum.

I am guessing there's a solid connection with RPG's and toys, if for no other reason that people who collect one thing often collect another.  It's already clear that a few people here who collect rpg's also collect dice and fantasy/sci-fi art.  I would guess that the stronger correlation is between rpg's and comics.  I have a small stamp collection, coin collection, comic book collection, and Pokemon card collection.  I also have a good-sized fantasy miniature collection.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:16 am 

benjoshua wrote in Anyone here collect toys?:I am guessing there's a solid connection with RPG's and toys, if for no other reason that people who collect one thing often collect another...I also have a good-sized fantasy miniature collection.   8)

If it's the right scale, one can be terrain (& supply additional miniatures) for the other.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:24 pm 

I seem to be collecting LOL's, LPS, MLP in my house.  Myself it just is either keeping hold of the toys I had growing up or picking up some of the newer releases of toys I had growing up and can purchase for not to much.  I can not be a completest because of the more aggressive collectors out there and the lack of somethings not being available. Course if anyone has and wants to get rid some Rainbow Brite toys for cheap I can earn major brownie points with the wife :) Just putting that out there.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:05 pm 

Plaag wrote in Anyone here collect toys?:Course if anyone has and wants to get rid some Rainbow Brite toys for cheap I can earn major brownie points with the wife :) Just putting that out there.
ShaneG.

Can other people provide Rainbow Brite toys to earn major brownie points with your wife?   :twisted:

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:35 pm 

I started collecting baseball cards when I was 8 and then fantasy RPG's when I was 11 (and wargames soon thereafter). I put all of my attention in those areas until I stopped buying new cards when they started making the whole sets available at once (circa 1980). I eventually sold off my wargames to fund my FRP when I decided to try and get "one of everything in English". So I never had any comic books or coins/stamps/action figures etc.

Shrink is not a condition

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:31 pm 

red_bus wrote in Anyone here collect toys?:There was a TV series here called Space 1999 and I have (or rather had, I sold them) some of the models from that.

I had a friend who had the Eagle 1 that Mattel made.  Probably 1979 or '80 I guess.  It was all plastic and eventually fell apart from all the hell we put it through.  Cool toy though.  Toys You Had Presents Space 1999

I myself had a lot of toys that I kept in relatively good condition.  I played with them though.  None of them were still in the box/package and thus weren't all that collectible.  But they weren't missing limbs or torn up and the accessories were all accounted for.  Kenner Star Wars, LJN Dungeons & Dragons and Masters of the Universe when I was growing up through the 70s and 80s.  I got back into buying toys when McFarlane started the Spawn line in the 90s.  Starting Lineup figures were also pretty cool and I had a handful of those.  These all stayed in the packages.  Also picked up quite a few of the new Hasbro Star Wars line until it just got impossible to get all the rarer ones.  I sold most of them eight years ago (kept the original Star Wars figures though) and was surprised just how little I got for most of it with the exception of some of the Spawn figures and a Starting Lineup Michael Jordan.

I thought the Battlestar Galactica toys from the 70s were pretty neat.  The more recent metal diecast ones are pretty nice.  I think of all the toys I had and the only one that I still wish for was the Six Million Dollar Man.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:12 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote in Anyone here collect toys?:I thought the Battlestar Galactica toys from the 70s were pretty neat.

Some were, but then there are examples like the 12" figures. They look like something you would see at an open-air-market stall in a third-world country, to bring home from vacation as hilarious examples of how sci-fi gets bootlegged around the world. But they're not - they're official product from two blue-chip institutions, ABC & Mattel.

Imagine if you bought these for your grandkids in the late 1970s. The smaller toys sure look appealing with all those firing missiles, but you want the top of the line, the large action figures. When the packages are opened by your soon-to-be-disappointed little ones, you find that most of it consists of mismatched parts recycled from other toys. One figure resembles nothing from the show, & the Cylon looks mis-proportioned & unfinished.

It would tend to give one deep misgivings about where the American economy was heading in 1979, & whether things were in the right hands.

Kingofpain89 wrote in Anyone here collect toys?:The more recent metal diecast ones are pretty nice.

Indeed they are, which is one more example of why something like that should have been manufactured the first time around when the original series was marketed. I mean, it was Mattel, the maker of Hot Wheels. Why couldn't they have made a few metal spaceships?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:24 am 

red_bus wrote in Anyone here collect toys?:There was a TV series here called Space 1999 and I have (or rather had, I sold them) some of the models from that.

I had the model of the ship - took forever and a day to build that thing with my father (weekends and some nights).
I also had the model of the ship from Disney's The Black Hole.

Right now I have a few Revell Star Wars models still in the box (Star Destroyer partially started).

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Last edited by jkason on Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:27 am 

sauromatian wrote in Anyone here collect toys?:
If it's the right scale, one can be terrain (& supply additional miniatures) for the other.

On a side note, I have three collections:

D&D items (Duh..)
Power Equipment Ball Caps (I'm a small engine mechanic)
Matchbooks

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:16 am 

jkason wrote in Anyone here collect toys?:On a side note, I have three collections:

D&D items (Duh..)
Power Equipment Ball Caps (I'm a small engine mechanic)
Matchbooks

I like to collect things with that sort of business promotional script. Here's one for sale now:

Sounds like a great place to plan a kidnapping.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:40 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote in Anyone here collect toys?:

I recently sold mine with the engine accessory for around £30
I’ve got his pod too, but it’s missing parts so never sold it

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:19 am 

As long as I'm on the subject of toys, I should point out that this is the only dragon miniature you'll ever need to represent such a creature in the game:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:15 am 

sauromatian wrote in Anyone here collect toys?:As long as I'm on the subject of toys, I should point out that this is the only dragon miniature you'll ever need to represent such a creature in the game:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

The adjustable arms are what makes this an amazing (and indispensible) item for the discerning tabletop roleplaying enthusiast.