Posting to Italy nowadays
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:13 am 

Hi guys, I know historically Italy was a bit of a no go for posting to, but have times changed and anyone had any experience with shipping there recently?

I’ve had an eBay request from a potential buyer of my minis, but the gut reaction was a no

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:20 am 

I should not be part of this conversation... However, i'd like to throw my 2 cents.

I think i lost one item due to post in the last 20 years or so... I have more that 1k of rating on ebay and have constant deals even outside ebay.

This is to point out that i have never seen the italian post like you describe it. It is absolutely true that it is not the fastest service in the world, but there are cases worst than italy (in my experience canada is definitely worst).

Maybe the problems are related to the buyers in italy... Maybe you ran into the wrong ppl... If everyone then turns the problems into the postal system, i have nothing agaist that.

Ciaooo

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:05 am 

aia wrote in Posting to Italy nowadays:If everyone then turns the problems into the postal system, i have nothing agaist that.

Well there's something we can all agree upon.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:04 am 

I’ve never shipped to Italy so I’ve not said it’s dodgy myself

I’m just asking the question and basing my thoughts on previous experience of people on these boards

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:45 am 

aia wrote in Posting to Italy nowadays:I should not be part of this conversation... However, i'd like to throw my 2 cents.

I think i lost one item due to post in the last 20 years or so... I have more that 1k of rating on ebay and have constant deals even outside ebay.

This is to point out that i have never seen the italian post like you describe it. It is absolutely true that it is not the fastest service in the world, but there are cases worst than italy (in my experience canada is definitely worst).

Maybe the problems are related to the buyers in italy... Maybe you ran into the wrong ppl... If everyone then turns the problems into the postal system, i have nothing agaist that.

Ciaooo

Actually, I’ll now update my post
I’m sure the name Stefano is popular in Italy. However, I’ve now had 2 people direct message me on eBay (neither messaged via an item for sale) about shipping to Italy, both named Stefano and from one account with over 1000 feedback and another with under 90. Makes me hugely suspicious and glad I didn’t take the risk of agreeing to a sale

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:11 am 

In my experience getting nay form of signature (sending recorded) to France or Italy can result in refusal to sign at the other end, or packages just disappearing for ever never to be found after tracking shows them leaving the UK. In France there is no obligation for someone to sign for recorded items, and in Italy it just telegraphs to the sorting office that its a package worth 'disappearing'.

I'm sure it was worse in the days when you hade to declare values on your packages, because that let the mafioso know which were the rich pickings, and I did notice a sharp drop off in missing main to Italy after the little customs labels stopped being required. But has the recent Brexit added a need for customs labels again in EU shipping.

Better safe than sorry until the country can sort out the corruption in it's institutions. The problem is, when you have corruption in public life at all levels of public service, and the economy is struggling, those with the means will find a way of filling their pockets by whatever means are at their disposal.

Of course the people who suffer are the general public.

You could have told the buyers you would ship by registered courier - like USPS - and that they would have to pay for insurance. If they refuse, well then you know they don't want it, or at the very least want it less than assuring you that you will be paid for it and they will not claim their money back.

I think private sales within the UK, and internationally to people you trust is the best course of action. I've sold thousands of figures over the years, individually and in large batches, mostly through eBay in batches (fantasy), and individually on battletech forums.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:38 am 

ashmire13 wrote in Posting to Italy nowadays:Actually, I’ll now update my post
I’m sure the name Stefano is popular in Italy. However, I’ve now had 2 people direct message me on eBay (neither messaged via an item for sale) about shipping to Italy, both named Stefano and from one account with over 1000 feedback and another with under 90. Makes me hugely suspicious and glad I didn’t take the risk of agreeing to a sale

Well, the name itself doesnt help too much... If you want, drop me a pm with the details and i will be happy to support you!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:37 am 

ashmire13 wrote in Posting to Italy nowadays:Actually, I’ll now update my post

If the value of the sale is below the level of RM insurance, and you ship International Signed For, you should be covered for everything except the guy plain out lying to eBay and doing a chargeback.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:34 pm 

I will not comment on mbasso2003's comments about Italy because they are not worthy of a reply and they should be sent to the fiery pits of forum hell. Not the Post Office ones, mind you, but the offensive remarks about country itself and I will NOT start a discussion about Italy here.

But I will comment on 'the post offices' question. I buy and sell a lot and I use a lot, of course, the Post Office. Albeit by far I ship mostly in European countries, I must say that overall the service has gotten better and, yes, I got a nice parcel of Harn books from the US with no problems (I buy almost nothing from our American friends because shipping rates have become horrid!). I buy much more and sell much more in mr. Mbasso2003 country and I have lost just ONE package in a couple of years. The true problem of the Italian post office is being slow: certified/signed for mail is reasonably fast, 'common' mail is not. More, Italians tend to complain a lot and have expectations in delivery times which are impossible to mantain if not with courier services or signed for mail (this should be said of US buyers too which have often unrealistic expectations on delivery times from Italy...).

My suggestion? Sell happily to Italy and Italians, but use signed for mail or a courier service. But if you are outside the EU, remember buyers that Customs may be a real pain in the neck and delivery times can be quite long.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:49 pm 

Thanks for the comments

I didn’t sell to the chap who direct messaged me, the items sold well anyway.
I just felt uncomfortable that someone with the same name messaged me the same way twice.

I understand I may well be covered if I use royal mails international signed for postage, but frankly I don’t need the hassle.

I generally don’t post outside the UK anyway, so it’s not a direct no to Italy as a whole. But having read a lot of negative things a long time ago, I just wanted to see if things were better now

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"