eBay is Driving Me Nuts!
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:06 am 

Howdy All,

eBay is Driving Me Nuts! Can anyone step me through how to removed the special buyer financing offers. You know, "$10 off your first purchase", that has automatically been activated on my account. I can't figure out the cryptic pathway through the eBay/PayPal mire of links.

I had to scrap putting up the Tim Jiardini collection last night because I couldn't figure out how to turn the option off. The help message is, "To turn off the basic financing message, update your payment/checkout preferences in My eBay" but there is no "payment/checkout preferences" link that I can find!

Anyway, if someone could help I'd really appreciate it.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:52 am 

Hi Paul,

Isn't it in the eBay preferences link when you go to My eBay?

There's a link where you can change seller preferences.

Looking forward to the auction. :D

-Stephen

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:07 am 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Hi Paul,

Isn't it in the eBay preferences link when you go to My eBay?

Looking forward to the auction. :D

-Stephen

what joy! i've just sat there for 20 minutes looking through the the preferences and i can'd find it anywhere!!! i wonder if this is a USA only thing and isn't on ebay.co.uk?

you would think it would be easier to find wouldn't you? bloody ebay  :?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:30 pm 

Howdy,

Cripes! I spent an hour and a half looking and I couldn't find it! I slowly watched my window to post the auction slip away. Very frustrating!

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:31 pm 

Howdy,

afoolandhis$ wrote:Isn't it in the eBay preferences link when you go to My eBay?

That would be logical wouldn't it? Sadly, eBay defies logic.

If you can find the proper path, please share it with me!

Futures Bright,

Paul

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:21 pm 

stormber wrote:Howdy,

afoolandhis$ wrote:Isn't it in the eBay preferences link when you go to My eBay?

That would be logical wouldn't it? Sadly, eBay defies logic.

If you can find the proper path, please share it with me!

Futures Bright,

Paul

Here's how I got there:

eBay -> My eBay -> At the left side of the screen, under My eBay Views, go to My Account -> eBay Preferences.  Under "Seller Preferences", there's an option to change Payment Preferences and another one to change Participate in eBay cross-promotions.

Not sure if that helps.  Hope so.  :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:17 pm 

Paul,

Sorry, I read this earlier, but couldn't get away to verify and type my response. Just go to your ebay perferences (my preferences) and under the "Payment preferences" there is a box that says "offer paypal buyer credit". Just unclick it . . .

You may have stumbled across it already . . . the problem is that ebay makes it seem like nothing has changed . . . everything appears just as it did before.

However, if you "list/have an item bid up" over $50.00, then this option won't appear on your listing.

Give it a trial run . . . I'm pretty sure it will work for you.

By the way, just in case you were unclear . . . it is just a promotional message . . . kind of annoying, but the $10 credit doesn't affect your auction sale price, it just gives the buyer a credit to their paypal account.

Hope it helps,

Paul

(by the way, this link is also available when listing items from the payment and shipping screen.  To the right of your paypal email address is a link to "edit preferences".  One time will make it effective for all auctions.)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:51 pm 

Howdy Paul,

Thank you for the response.

beyondthebreach wrote:Just go to your ebay perferences (my preferences) and under the "Payment preferences" there is a box that says "offer paypal buyer credit". Just unclick it . . .

That's just it, I don't have the boxes you are talking about. There is a "Change" link to the right but that takes me to another screen without any mention of PayPal buyer credit. Here is what I have under My eBay > eBay Preferences > Seller Preferences:

Seller Preferences

Payment preferences                                                      Change

Use Checkout:  No

Offer PayPal on All Listings: Yes

PayPal Preferred: Off

Offer PayPal Buyer Credit:  No

Include my items with others using PayPal:  Include my items

Allow my buyers to edit payment total:  Yes

Despite the fact that "Offer PayPal Buyer Credit" is set to No the "$10 off"  option still appears on the "Review and Submit" page when selling an item.

Do you have little check boxes next to the options above? I went through eBay, did you go through PayPal or eBay to get to the preferences you are talking about?

Futures Bright,

Paul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:53 pm 

No that's it. . . trust that the option is off even though it doesn't say so.  (you have the correct turn paypal buyer credit option "off".)

Just do one sample at over $50.00 and submit it.  You will see.  

You can always edit it if it doesn't work.

Paul

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:59 pm 

Howdy,

O.K. I see where to turn off PayPal buyer credit options, I already had it off, but it still shows up on the "Review and Submit" page when preparing to list an item.

I guess, since the PayPal buyer credit option is off under my preferences, when the item is actually listed that the "$10 off" promotion won't appear on my listings. Does that sound correct?

Futures Bright,

Paul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:12 pm 

Yes, I think that is what happens.   I listed an item for over $50 before I posted this and the buyer credit message didn't appear (then I just edited the item to the correct sale price and ebay adjusted my fees).

These little "glitches" pop up in ebay programming all the time . . . if its really annoying I shoot them an email to make sure they are aware. . . invariably, they reply that their programmers are working on it.  Sometimes it takes a few months, but the problem usually gets resolved.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:04 am 

Paul, does this mean we have to wait another week before we'll get to drool over your latest auction???

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:02 am 

Howdy Allan,

grodog wrote:Paul, does this mean we have to wait another week before we'll get to drool over your latest auction???

No. I am going to launch the Tim Jiardini auction on Tuesday night (tommorrow), and then another David C. Sutherland III and Steve Marsh auction next Sunday.

The Rob Kuntz auction is in the works!

Futures Bright,

Paul