looking for input - an experiment in long term storage
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:31 am 

Also: big downside it storage locker is that if you decide to stay overseas - it makes it much more tricky. (I was coming to the UK for 2 years and have stayed for 10 and am british with a wife + kids now). You are, as we say in the biz, short optionality.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:16 pm 

I had my collection in a storage locker for about 6 years. I had everything in lined, sealed plastic stackable containers, with silica gel. The storage venue was vermin protected. When my son finished school, he started university and got a place and my wife convinced me to move everything out of storage and into my son's place to save money. So currently everything stored in one room in my son's place. My collection, when I took it out, was in perfect condition, no damage, it was like I put it in there just the day before. This house is small and rest of my family suddenly back in Australia, so right now I am debating whether to try to build safe storage room in an existing garage or put it all back into storage. Sometimes I wish I had a different career, so I could live back here, but really hard to change as you get older.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:07 am 

I would leave your items where you are and secure them there. I made an overseas move from the U.S. to Europe several years back and I not only had items get damaged in the process, but some things went missing somewhere in the process as my stuff passed from trucks to shipping containers to trucks again before arriving at my new location. Shipping such a valuable collection so far is a much more significant risk than leaving it stored near where your collection is currently located, in my opinion.

People store extremely valuable items in storage facilities. Art and collectibles are stored often at such places. Just pick the most secure storage facility you can. Don't pick one in a shady area. Make sure your items are up off the ground when in the unit, and put them in suitable containers as you can't control what bugs, gasoline, or stuff that could creep over from the storage units next to yours.

Storage units do have theft, but it's rare, and when it happens, it's usually an inside job. Make sure you do your research on the location you pick to see if they have had issues in the past. You will be fine.

--Thor

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:32 pm 

Some updates.

Insurance:

I went with Collectables Insurance Services as opposed to American Collectors Insurance.  The latter would not cover M:tG cards or some of the other ephemeral stuff in my collection.  CIS also attached a rider that covers me up to the full dollar amount, passed $100k.  Of course, subject to valuation if I ever have to make a claim.  Also not covered for any type of flooding for this area.  So basically, fire and burglary, which is fine and about what I was looking for.

Packing:

I started with form fitting Sterilite containers and quickly realized how much of pain that would be.  So this is what I've settled on.  A small Bankers Box or BCW magazine box nested inside an 54qt. Sterilite gasket sealed box.  Line the gasket box with bubble wrap, bubbles down, to minimize shifting of the Bankers/BCW box.  Pack books and boxes into that.  Label, insert gel-packs, seal.  This will still be pricey, but should cover everything against bugs, leaks, and humidity.  Should also mitigate (i hope) any potential damage when I move them from the house to storage and then eventually back to the house.  While my use case is extensive, if you want to store some of your more valuable books and boxes longer term in closet or something this should do the trick.

Attachment:
IMG_6015.JPEG

Attachment:
IMG_6013.JPEG

Attachment:
IMG_6011.JPEG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:55 am 

nice work! Best of luck.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:37 am 

When I packed for long what I thought was going to be long term storage, turned out to only be 18 months, I individually wrapped books in cellophane (saran wrap) and stacked the them all into cardboard boxes with half a dozen of those little desiccant pouches you can buy. The storage was a locker in one of these rented storage warehouses (Safestore here in the UK) so I didn't need to worry about moisture too much (only if I'd sealed any in) cos here in Scotland these things are pretty cold all year round. Just concrete and steel. Everything seems to have survived just fine.

Just my experience with storage. I'd imagine location temperature and humidity will always be the major factors when considering packing. But the little desiccant packs are well worth in IMO.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:31 pm 

When I moved almost 20 years ago, I put everything into Rogers Jumbo Profile portable fileboxes. I think Rubbermaid makes something similar.  They are perfect for modules & magazines and they are extremely durable. With proper bagging and boarding, they have kept in the exact condition I placed them in.  I think I go through them once or twice every 3 to 5 years to make sure they are doing ok.  

Attachment:
IMG_1314.jpg

-SKA

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Previous