Dungeon Magazine subscription card from early/mid 2000 ?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:17 pm 

For those with a Dungeon Magazine collection, do you have a subscription card from a late-2nd edition era issue from the year 2000 (issues #78 through #81)? I'd love to see a picture/scan of the subscription card(s). I'm trying to identify all the subscription options for that period: 1 year vs longer, price, etc. (Not all of that info was captured by the internet archive of the Dungeon magazine web site.)

Thanks!

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:25 pm 

I might have this (if I'm reading my excel file right), but it would be a day or two to check if someone doesn't find one first.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:50 am 

Scanning the cards from #76, 77, and 80.
Will send them to you via email.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:43 am 

What are they? What were they for? What do they look like?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:41 pm 

Just the cards you used to mail in to get a subscription.

Attachment:
Sub Card #80.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:49 am 

jkason wrote in Dungeon Magazine subscription card from early/mid 2000 ?:Just the cards you used to mail in to get a subscription.

Attachment:
Sub Card #80.jpg

Cool. Were these loose? Or perforated and pull out?
I wonder how many of those survived outside of the UK?
That said, I suspect UK stock was printed in the UK and not shipped from the US.
I don't ever remember having subscription direct options. I had it requested as a weekly subscription from a big chain news agent, so it was put aside for me, but they wrote your surname in the inside cover which was a real bummer, and if they didn't get stock, you didn't get your mag.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:44 pm 

Of the scans I sent to Guy, #76 was loose (i.e., thrown in the magazine after printing), while #78 and #80 were bound into the magazine and perforated. The "back half" of the card was an equal distance from the center of the magazine, with an ad (no subscription option) for Dragon Magazine.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:02 pm 

These are #78 and 79:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:52 pm 

Curiously, if you were a European subscriber over those three issues, the price of shipping from the UK to Europe rose marginally, which was to be expected. These things all ship printed paper rate, which was pretty damn low back in those days, but the cost to the UK subscriber dropped by a full 25% between in Issue 80.

I wonder if the uptake in the UK was so great that they they were passing along savings in bulk printing, or if printing suddenly became cheaper, or if this was an attempt to break into the UK magazine subscription market, which is notoriously difficult to do.

You see, people in the UK do not subscribe to magazines the way people in the US do. It’s a small country, and almost everyone who ‘subscribes’ to a magazine received it through a newsagent along with their newspapers, or has it reserves and put aside in a drawer at the big newsagents or in bookstores like Borders.

We’re these inserts and flyers regular things in Dungeon, or is this just a particular time period. I don’t recall ever seeing them, and whilst I generally ignored Dragon, Dungeon was something I bought a lot of, just because you got 5 dungeons and a bonus map for £3 or whatever the cover price was back then.

Incidentally, Issue 80 was the issue Ray Winningar’s dungeon The Scar was printed in, and this was the final product on something like a 20 part series where he’d gone through the entire dungeon design process. I had really enjoyed that series back then. I don’t remember whether the series was in Dragon or Dungeon, but I do recognise the Dungeon Map now that I’m looking at a it. I don’t thing I have the rest of the series though. Need to go hunting.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:07 pm 

The inserts and flyers were a regular, monthly thing.
As you know, every corporation here whores for whatever it can get its hands on.  :D

It was an effort to gain more readership, as they knew that a magazine would (most likely) pass through the hands of at least one whole game group.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:14 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Dungeon Magazine subscription card from early/mid 2000 ?:Incidentally, Issue 80 was the issue Ray Winningar’s dungeon The Scar was printed in, and this was the final product on something like a 20 part series where he’d gone through the entire dungeon design process. I had really enjoyed that series back then. I don’t remember whether the series was in Dragon or Dungeon, but I do recognise the Dungeon Map now that I’m looking at a it. I don’t thing I have the rest of the series though. Need to go hunting.

The Dungeoncraft series was in Dragon. I followed that series closely too, photocopying all those articles from a friend's issues. Kept them in a binder for a while. Pretty sure I bought Dungeon #80 soon after landing in stores, just so I could see how Winninger made the dungeon. Then I subscribed to Dungeon, probably using the subscription card from that issue.

That period of Dungeon magazine hugely influenced my late-2nd ed and 3e campaigns. Between Dungeon #79 through #88, I ran 7 of the scenarios, and repurposed maps & other details from at least 3 other scenarios. If Dungeoncraft hadn't led me to Dungeon, I might not have subscribed, and my games would have been really different.

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/