What are you going to regret not buying?
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:05 pm 

These were $10 at HPB in 2019. They must have had a case of them. I bought one at $5 during a sale, so I have no regret about not buying one. I am getting the feeling I will wish I would have bought other items as they go up in price. The lacking interest, thinking I could always just buy one if I wanted, is fading.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:20 pm 

There were many things I regretted buying over the years, almost always because I paid too much for them, but the only thing I regret not buying was the Planes of Existence manuscript. At the time I was prepared to go a good 20% higher and underestimated both the time I had left and my internet connectivity. I was on a cruise ship in the med' at the time. So sadly that disappeared into a collection where no doubt it will remain for a long long time.

Other than that, I can't think of anything I have regretted not buying. I don't tend to worry that if I don't buy something today for $40 tomorrow it will be $200, or even that if I don't bid on this onw, I might not see another one for 5 years. Almost everything I desired has passed through my hands at one time or other. So I guess I've been pretty lucky to have been liquid when I needed to be. Although the collection is gone now, and I did miss the opportunity to scan some important pieces later on. I hadn't expected to need to sell so much so quickly when the end of my collecting career came.

So happy here, with no real regrets, and still lurking like a shadow (or a bad smell) amongst you real collectors. :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:12 pm 

You're going to regret not buying my 2nd edition artwork!
Hahaha

Creator of Spaceship Zero, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets, Caustic Soda, Ruin Nation, Toren's Guide to Everything and other weirdness

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:27 pm 

Magic Cards. Cases of them, back in 1995, $10 a new unopened box from a game store going out of business.  Who knows what I could have pulled out of those thousands of cards?  I could have bought the entire unopened stock from the store for a few hundred bucks. "Magic? That card game will be out of business in a few years, just like pogs".....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:16 pm 

Ive saved a few magic and pokemon products over the years. But everything is up now, Lone Wolf books, Hero Quest, sports cards, all of it. Of course, thats where this question comes from. :) Its crazy to think of the available product there has been with the recent increase in prices.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:28 pm 

The chess set that came out during 3E, Volo's Guide (LE) 5E, not getting a sub to Dragon, Dungeon and Polyhedron sooner. I'm sure there's other stuff.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:35 pm 

5E Volo's, boom.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:36 pm 

Badmike wrote in What are you going to regret not buying?:Magic Cards. Cases of them, back in 1995, $10 a new unopened box from a game store going out of business.  Who knows what I could have pulled out of those thousands of cards?  I could have bought the entire unopened stock from the store for a few hundred bucks. "Magic? That card game will be out of business in a few years, just like pogs".....

Mike B.

No kidding.  When I first saw people playing Magic back in '93 or '94 I thought it was pretty silly.  Only after watching my brother and a friend of his play did I get interested.  Started collecting cards during the Revised edition and stopped around Mirage or Visions.  Just got too darn expensive and time consuming.  I recall spending twenty or thirty bucks a pack for Legends boosters in '95 just to try to get all of the super powerful cards.  Then they came out with Chronicles and I was able to get most of them for next to nothing.  :x   Ended up selling them off in 2012 for a good chunk of change.  I think I made $500 on just three dual lands from the Revised set.  And that is chump change compared to some of the Moxes, Black Lotus and other ridiculously rare/sought after cards from previous editions.

I also regret buying several of the 10th Anniversary Combo packs in the late 80's and unshrinking them.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:30 pm 

Anybody actually invest in WotC when they were funding magic ('93 or so)? IIRC they were looking for $5k.

Wondering that was a missed opportunity. The other was not buying more original Magic art when it was 2-3 digits not 5-7 digits.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:14 pm 

Years ago I had a pretty decent collection, and I sold it all away to help my wife build a studio where she could devote herself full time to her artwork. I came to the realization that, for me, collecting wasn't as much about possession of the items as it was about hunting down and acquiring them, if that makes sense. After initially handling and examining rare items, they just went into storage. With most of the items, I was wary of handling them too much for fear of ruining them. In a sense, my collection became a prison, and I don't regret selling any of it.

THAT BEING SAID, I really wish I had won the auction for Rob Kuntz's dice!

Let mirth prevail!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:28 pm 

I had forgotten about Rob Kuntz's dice! That wouldn't be #1 for me, but I certainly should have bid heavily on those because I have owned Rob's Brown Box since the late 1980's and I could have reunited them. But at the time I was still not buying anything that was not pen and paper RPG. If you remember they sold very inexpensively (about $100).

#1 regret for me was not winning Bob Blake's GenCon IX dungeon judges copy actually used at GenCon (including flame singed page edges on a map). Paul Stormberg was selling it (along with a bunch of others items that I won) but I came in second (this was about 2007), regretted it immediately and ever since.

Shrink is not a condition

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:48 pm 

stratochamp wrote in What are you going to regret not buying?:#1 regret for me was not winning Bob Blake's GenCon IX dungeon judges copy actually used at GenCon (including flame singed page edges on a map). Paul Stormberg was selling it (along with a bunch of others items that I won) but I came in second (this was about 2007), regretted it immediately and ever since.

8O
I think I own this...had to check my photos and they say created in August 2007.  Course I had way more disposable income at the time and was creating the website so anything related I bid on quite aggressively.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:38 pm 

Pics if possible and convenient please. :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:34 pm 

This is probably a pretty generic answer but I regret never buying a 1E monster manual, or a 1E PH.

I have copies of both but not the ones I'd like.

I have a MM but it's the blue 7th Plus cover with the dragon and the pegasus.  Not the original cover with the troll etc on it.  I always liked that one better but I just never got around to buying one.  Now I just can't be bothered to spend the cash for one in nice condition.

I have a really nice DM guide that I got as a gift as a kid that I kept in good shape, but the PH I have is shot.  It was not mine originally and got used ALOT by the guys I'd play with back then.  It has a lot of writing in it and it's pretty dogeared which means it has alot of memories in it but it's in bad shape and I'd like one in better condition but again, I just don't have the animus to look for and spend the money on one.  

The prices will probably just go up from here and I doubt I'll spend the cash.  Unless I find one at garage sale or something.

The owls are not what they seem...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:50 pm 

Bitcoins.
Just kidding, I did. There's nothing I regret not buying, I have always been in a position to buy what I wanted, and I don't collect anymore, thank God. It never made sense to me to salt away $100K worth of RPG items, some nearly unique, and let them collect dust. Get them, own and/or use them for a while and pass them on. Like my ex. God bless that tramp.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:51 pm 

bombadil wrote in What are you going to regret not buying?:Years ago I had a pretty decent collection, and I sold it all away to help my wife build a studio where she could devote herself full time to her artwork. I came to the realization that, for me, collecting wasn't as much about possession of the items as it was about hunting down and acquiring them, if that makes sense. After initially handling and examining rare items, they just went into storage. With most of the items, I was wary of handling them too much for fear of ruining them. In a sense, my collection became a prison, and I don't regret selling any of it.

THAT BEING SAID, I really wish I had won the auction for Rob Kuntz's dice!

This is why Bomby and I always got along so well.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:04 pm 

I regret how price sensitive I was in 2014ish when I started collected shrink modules. If my budget was $25 I wouldnt buy it at $26. I was also hesitant to pick up doubles or triples too. Now that prices are 4-5x it feels like a missed opportunity to resell. The flip side being I still accumulated a sizeable collection at prices I am even more proud of.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:08 am 

Badmike wrote in What are you going to regret not buying?:Magic Cards

It was a few years after TSR and New Infinities, and I was 'between funds'.
Peter was trying to raise money to cover the print run.
He offered to sell me sealed cases of Alphas at 10% over cost.
But I couldn't afford it at the time...

My friends Dave & Gary made a quantum leap in the human soul. Remember them.

Next