Heroes' Feast
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:45 pm 

My son got this book for Christmas, as he is playing 5e and also getting into cooking more and more lately. Over the season, we tried several of the recipes and I must say they were delicious.

Not really a collectible but it deserves a shout out. Jon Peterson, one of the authors, is a member here.

https://www.amazon.com/Heroes-Feast-Off ... 1984858904

Highly recommended!

H.

EDIT: I just noticed I have been part of The Acaeum for a decade! Wow! Thanks to this community for all it does for our hobby (and sanity).

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:02 pm 

I got this book as a gift.  When I first saw it I laughed and said I'd probably never use it.  I leafed through it later and some of the recipes look pretty interesting.  A few of the NTRPG Facebook page members have been giving many of the recipes a try and have really enjoyed them.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:09 am 

My kids and I have tried the chili recipe for Heroes' Feast and it was delicious.  We will be trying more for sure in the future.  First D&D themed recipe book I bought since the ones contained in Leaves from the Inn of the Last Home; only this time I made something to eat!  Will try more.

Speaking of Jon as a member here.  Get his book The Elusive Shift if you haven't!  Fantastic book covering the "role-playing" side of things.  I am closing in on the finish line of that book but loving the insights and the footnotes and marveling at the research it would have taken to compile said book.  Perfect companion to Playing at the World and in my opinion another "must have" book for those interested in gaming history.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:56 am 

Heroes' Feast was a fun project to work on, and I'm glad it's connected with a lot of people. Can't take any credit for the recipes themselves, but it was fun figuring out ways to wring data about food out of the various D&D sources.

Elusive Shift is more on the scholarly side, but was also fun to do some work outside the scope of D&D - much more about how RPGs as a genre emerged in the wake of D&D. I can't say that it presents an exhaustive list of games published before 1980 we should consider RPGs, but it's the best I could do, anyway. Be interested if collectors think there are any glaring omissions.

Author of Playing at the World, The Elusive Shift, Game Wizards co-author of D&D Art & Arcana and Heroes's Feast

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:41 am 

Just bought that because of this site

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:13 pm 

So is it a cookbook?
I can't cook. Don't think it'll help me any.  :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:35 pm 

Essentially yeah, with no orc meat though

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:56 pm 

mrmanowar wrote in Heroes' Feast:My kids and I have tried the chili recipe for Heroes' Feast and it was delicious.

Does the book have a recipe for poluchili? I'm wondering because it's apparently going to be on the menu a lot for the next year-&-a-half or so. Some people describe it as mythical, so maybe it might have been included in this volume.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:04 am 

Love it!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:16 am 

No, just the Arkhan The Cruel’s Flame-Roasted Halfling Chili.

There could be other flame roasting recipes, though.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:56 pm 

I have become a great cook. I use simple recipes:

1. Open chicken noodle soup can. Pour into bowl.

2. Put in microwave for 1:10; stop and stir at :35.

3. Enjoy!

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.