Pinging bbarsh...
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:29 am 

Looks like this is the last possible place to find out.....

Just wanted to know if anyone of you guys heard anything of bbarsh lately. I tried to reach him several times by email and didnt get an answer since 3+ months. I have open ebay business with him and before I post neg feedback I just wanted to double check if there is somethning going on with him. Since he seems to be a member of the valuation board here perhaps someone knows about his whereabouts.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:32 am 

He seems to have stopped coming by here regularly and is no longer on the Valuation Board due to inactivity. According to board records, he was last here on February 5th. eBay should have his phone number, perhaps a call will straighten things out...then again I just noticed that is a bit of a long distance call for you....  :(

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:16 pm 

I wouldn't neg the guy, just try and recover looses va ebay or what not, somethings probably wrong on his side.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:18 pm 

I agree, he was always a reliable and trustworthy individual.  Something must have come up in his life as he has been missing in action for awhile.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:22 pm 

maybe he had a heart attack or something.... It happends ya looks like something happend on his end.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:47 pm 

Looking at his feedback, he's received negatives from buyers whom he hasn't shipped to yet.  That would seem to indicate that something is seriously wrong on his end.  

It reminds of the James Sinks case.  He used to be an incredibly active old FRP collector (just check all his credits on Matthias's site), and then he just disappeared leaving a few buyers who sent payment to him in the lurch.  No one has even been able to explain what happened to him so, unfortunately, I'm assuming the worst.   :(

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:46 am 

Well, this is something we could do.

This is a source of info about the hobby of collectionism - shouldn't we research some info about the people who make the hobby? I think this could be something a community like ours could and should do.

Collecting personal info from everyone - like addies, telephone numbers and such, and have them on a list, to insure that if something happens to one of us, all the rest are kept informed.

Final joke (just to enliven the thread and hoping bbarsh is alive and well, maybe in a tropical island where he went after drawing the good ticket at the national lottery): at last, helping the widows to get rid of all the crap their defunct husbands used to collect sure is an honourable act... like helping damsels in distress.  :twisted:

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:41 pm 

I doubt people would give their address or number over the net, a nice idea though.  Maybe a buddy system.  One person knows the persons info of one other.  Then, just "ping" the buddy, and they hunt down their companion?  Or not. :)

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:34 pm 

If we pooled our collective resources I think we would find that someone has contact info for just about everyone on this site. Heck, I have the addresses for well over a 75% of you and if I dug up completed auction history for an item number I could probably get phone numbers by a contact request.

I can't imagine this information would ever be necessary - but if there ever were some sort of emergency case, I am sure someone could contact the individual. . . it would be very tough call though cause you might be prying into someone's personal life. Divorce, death of a loved one, losing your job and many other factors might be the cause of someone "disappearing".

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:38 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:it's would be very tough call though cause you might be prying into someone's personal life. Divorce, death of a loved one, losing your job and many other factors might be the cause of someone "disappearing".

Very true, as much as we WANT to help and be a community, we're still fundamentally strangers.  Very sad if something has happend. :(

PS: Beyondthebreach rocks, great packaging on Sinister Secrets :)

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:04 pm 

rosenkav wrote:Final joke (just to enliven the thread and hoping bbarsh is alive and well, maybe in a tropical island where he went after drawing the good ticket at the national lottery): at last, helping the widows to get rid of all the crap their defunct husbands used to collect sure is an honourable act... like helping damsels in distress. :twisted:

Might be a joke (and I also hope bbarsh is fine, just not on-line) but having had some serious illnesses (Heart Problems) in my family recently caused me to tell the wife that in case I was to suddenly drop off, not to trash any of the items in two certain file cabinet drawers and two specific shelves on the book case.... but to sell them dearly and at great cost. I also introduced her to the Acaeum (For rough pricing estimates, and perhaps help from some of you folks :lol: ) and E-Bay.

She has a family member who cruises the Internet even more than I do and the wife said she will help her sell my crap when I kick the bucket… I told her there was enough value in those certain places to at least pay for the funeral and internment and perhaps some left over for the big party afterwards. She just smiled and said "Good, lets start selling!" :?  8O

So when I do leave this world, she might be posting on the Classified section..... but she is no rube, and she makes a money trift seem like a wild spender. So you guys be nice to her when the time comes, as she will be a grieving widow.... I think. :roll:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:56 pm 

MrFilthyIke wrote:
beyondthebreach wrote:it's would be very tough call though cause you might be prying into someone's personal life. Divorce, death of a loved one, losing your job and many other factors might be the cause of someone "disappearing".

Very true, as much as we WANT to help and be a community, we're still fundamentally strangers. Very sad if something has happend. :(

PS: Beyondthebreach rocks, great packaging on Sinister Secrets :)

Interestingly enough, I was puttering around on Ebay tonight and realized that the first auction I ever won was by bbarsh.  It was either X2 or B1, I cant remember as it was back in 2000.  Hopefully nothing is seriously wrong and someday he will be back.  We may be a group of strangers but most everyone benefits in some way from everyone else here.

Since I joined The Acaeum I have met two new friends in Aneoth and Badmike through this forum.  I have learned more about Ebay scams from people like Deadlord and bclarkie (and others) than I ever thought possible.  I learned that no matter how big a collection I have someone like InvincibleOverlord has a bigger one.  And I also learned that true evil does exist in the world.  Maxwell taught me that.  It is amazing how an interest in something as insignificant as Dungeons and Dragons can bring people together....or tear them apart.

Here's to hoping Bbarsh is alive and well.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:39 pm 

Aneoth wrote:
rosenkav wrote:Final joke (just to enliven the thread and hoping bbarsh is alive and well, maybe in a tropical island where he went after drawing the good ticket at the national lottery): at last, helping the widows to get rid of all the crap their defunct husbands used to collect sure is an honourable act... like helping damsels in distress. :twisted:

Might be a joke (and I also hope bbarsh is fine, just not on-line) but having had some serious illnesses (Heart Problems) in my family recently caused me to tell the wife that in case I was to suddenly drop off, not to trash any of the items in two certain file cabinet drawers and two specific shelves on the book case.... but to sell them dearly and at great cost. I also introduced her to the Acaeum (For rough pricing estimates, and perhaps help from some of you folks :lol: ) and E-Bay.

She has a family member who cruises the Internet even more than I do and the wife said she will help her sell my crap when I kick the bucket… I told her there was enough value in those certain places to at least pay for the funeral and internment and perhaps some left over for the big party afterwards. She just smiled and said "Good, lets start selling!" :? 8O

So when I do leave this world, she might be posting on the Classified section..... but she is no rube, and she makes a money trift seem like a wild spender. So you guys be nice to her when the time comes, as she will be a grieving widow.... I think. :roll:

Funny how great minds think alike...I was just telling my wife if anything happened to me, post on these boards and see if someone here would handle the auctioning of my goodies.  Honestly no one I'm related to is even faintly interested, and it's only right my wife should benefit financially from my loads of crap, and who better to tell her the worth of certain valuables.  Plus who has time to actually rummage through all these goodies and appreciate them, I don't want her running to the local Half Price and dumping thousands of dollars worth of RPGs for pennies on the dollar.
    Aneoth I'll be sure and tell your loved ones you always wanted me to have your file cabinet and all worthless papers within... :twisted:

Mike B.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:18 pm 

Howdy Folks,

I guess it was last year when were discussing all of the poor fellows who divorced or died and had their collections thrown away or pissed away on eBay. My own woodgrain 1st print came from a fellow who perished. His wife dumped the whole lot at a consignment shop. The lady at the shop was nice but didn't really know what she had.

Well if anyone wants to write me (The Collector's Trove) in their will as an auctioneer, I'd be honored to do it. PM me and I'll get you my contact information. I have already arranged for someone to auction off my collection. With things like the original DMG cover art, it would be irresponsible not to.

I am hoping none of us drop off the Earth too soon. 8O

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:28 pm 

stormber wrote:I am hoping none of us drop off the Earth too soon. 8O

I'll second that  8O

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:37 pm 

MrFilthyIke wrote:
stormber wrote:I am hoping none of us drop off the Earth too soon. 8O

I'll second that 8O

Well, I will third that. :D  This thread certainly has taken a depressing turn though.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:38 pm 

is it sad for dead collectors?  Or the thought of lost collections? ;)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:40 pm 

MrFilthyIke wrote:is it sad for dead collectors? Or the thought of lost collections? ;)
Dead collectors. There is some mightly good people on this site, and with all do respect to stormber, I'd rather not see him auctioning off anybody's heres collection nor do I want somebody auctioning off his collection anytime in the near future. :D

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Next