Anyone here collect books?
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:59 pm 

I used to collect Tolkien books printed by Alllen and Unwin over 15 years ago.  
I got to 5 books all printed before the 1960s including the first print in 1937.
After I while, I just lost interest.  They are still sitting in my bookcase and will likely be given to my son when he comes of age.  
I've been out of collecting for around 10 years since my first child was born.
Recently, I've come back to collecting 1E D&D modules.
For those you who dont know, in the first Hobbit printed in 1937, Bilbo and Gollum part as friends after the riddle game.
Tolkien had to change the story from the first printing, second impression to incorporate his story of The Lord of the Rings.
I would recommend you obtain hard cover books of the stories your really enjoy and will reread over and over.
I have a few hard cover copies of Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear but I don't think that he will compete the trilogy.  

best of luck :)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:41 am 

Mykridius wrote in Anyone here collect books?:I used to collect Tolkien books printed by Alllen and Unwin over 15 years ago.  
I got to 5 books all printed before the 1960s including the first print in 1937.
After I while, I just lost interest.  They are still sitting in my bookcase and will likely be given to my son when he comes of age.  
I've been out of collecting for around 10 years since my first child was born.
Recently, I've come back to collecting 1E D&D modules.
For those you who dont know, in the first Hobbit printed in 1937, Bilbo and Gollum part as friends after the riddle game.
Tolkien had to change the story from the first printing, second impression to incorporate his story of The Lord of the Rings.
I would recommend you obtain hard cover books of the stories your really enjoy and will reread over and over.
I have a few hard cover copies of Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear but I don't think that he will compete the trilogy.  

best of luck :)

oof you really think Rothfuss wont finish? Thats grim. Its one thing for GRRM not not make it through ASOIAF but a 3 book series... surely the 3rd will happen.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:24 pm 

Well it has been 10 years now since Rothfuss’ second book.
I would love to read the conclusion of his trilogy but alas I really don’t think he will write it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:20 pm 

Grim take - but fair.

I think he'll pop it out sometime in the next 10 years.

What im most sad about perhaps is that we 'know' the tragic end of the story and id more like to hear a 'whats next' for Kvothe and break free of the inkeeper thing. Or some other books in the world.

Maybe that'll happen in book3 and he dies or soemthing. Suppose this isnt the place for that discussion.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:21 pm 

I’ve been hunting down all the Star Books editions of the Gor books.  These titles are a good size and are well bound, and have the better artwork.  I have all up to Magicians of Gor, and I think Star Books may have only printed a couple more before John Norman went to a new publisher.  The wife hates them.. enough said

Previous