Anyone here collect books?
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:09 pm 

Mister Yuk wrote in Anyone here collect books?:Do not meet one of your favorite bands on their 1st tour and tell them you discovered their music in the Library Stacks.

Lol. I've had a few conversations like that with some big name bands. Some record label execs also. Never an author though. Benefits of a mis-spent youth providing security for the largest record shop outside of London I guess. I had a conversation with Geffen about the bootleg thing, and they acknowledged that GnR's UK tour probably wouldn't have happened if it weren't for bootleg live recordings being manufactured in Russia of all places. They (Geffen) reckoned recordings were being made in the US, and then stamped onto vinyl in the USSR and shipped into Europe via Poland. His opinion was that GnR were a live band, not a studio band, and their money was in selling out concerts and not banging out records and singles, and that was why they didn't have a problem with the bootleg business (which was rife - they were everywhere). Long story short, they very much recognised the benefits, but I bet they'd never have said so on the record. I also imagine Axel Rose wouldn't have been to happy. Losing out on all that nose candy. Funny thing is, roll on a decade and Geffen are the one staunch objector to Apple's whole music subscription model because they saw it as opening the door to piracy.

Had a similar discussion with Mr Polydor (the rep') re Little Angels, at that time he was of the opinion that anything that helps shift records is welcome. They couldn't give tickets away (literally) and were playing really pokey venues and not even able to fill them in big cities like Edinburgh. Little Angels were a little UK rock band in the early 90's. No Idea what happened to them, but they seemed like a nice bunch of guys and had a few good songs. I guess there's a difference between the needs of a big band, and the needs of a small one, and between what the artist themselves think, and what the managers and promoters they are paying know about promoting bands in their industry, and while the guy from Polydor was maybe a bit young and a bit green, the guy from Geffen was very articulate and came across like he ran the European side of the Geffen label.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:25 pm 

Mister Yuk wrote in Anyone here collect books?:How many kids just listened to the radio?

Very few of them, what with them all having mobile phones and social media. Radios are for factory workers and garage mechanics. You're not even allowed radios on building sites in the UK. You'd figure they'd have worked out how to put an FM antenna into a mobile phone by now, wouldn't you. Hell they could use the headphone wire.

I lost my entire music collection in the great iPod disaster of 2008. About 400 albums - never to be replaced without my 35% discount at HMV.
A tip for collectors out there. When they release CDs, sometimes there are specials that have an extra track or two, and sometimes there is a double CD with a whole free CD in there. Usually shops (in the UK) only get a dozen or so of these ones, and half of those will be reserved for staff before the store opens on launch day, so its worth picking these up if they are bands you love. Not least being that the contents of these bonus CDs, more often than not, never appears on Spotify or iTunes. The same goes for the special EPs on vinyl. Some tracks laid down can only be found by buying the original source on eBay.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:58 pm 

stratochamp wrote in Anyone here collect books?:The Waning of the Middle Ages by Huizinga? I have that around here somewhere. I haven't read that in 35 years...Perhaps I will give it a look.

I would give it a conditional recommendation - I think it was influential in how people in the 20th Century saw the Middle Ages, but it's pretty dry reading. It has a ghostly sense of uncovering a forgotten world where everybody saw things differently than they do today, so there's that.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:47 am 

More on Huizinga - Peter S. Beagle's The Last Unicorn seems like it might have been written as a pun based on this book: Middle Ages = middle-aged people.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:54 am 

The best book I've found on the Middle Ages is A Distant Mirror by Barbara W. Tuchman.  It's not a thorough description of the Middle Ages, but it is an enjoyable and entertaining read.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:48 am 

Not I. I am very hard on my books - bend cover, dog ear pages, use them as coasters, etc. I have a few slabbed comic books but that's probably not what OP is talking about.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:20 pm 

I do that with paperbacks. I figure if it looks like its been read in monsoon season, or came back from Nam, then its probably been read enough.
Hardbacks I don't buy anymore.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:43 am 

Thanks everyone - this is really interesting! I was really thinking about some of the books that have meaning for me outside of gaming. So for example, I have done a lot of work in the environmental field and there are interesting books there that have had an impact upon society. e.g. Silent Spring by Rachel Carson came out in the early 1960s and really changed the way people thought about nature and the impact of humans upon the environment. 1st printings run at about £400-500 (or so, I really don’t know much about this field and don't know how to start valuing such things). Or Edward Abbey’s Monkey Wrench Gang (1975) inspired much of what we now think of as eco-activism (and is also a terrific novel) and it seems to go for £5-600+
Or even just more fun books, like early copies of Joan Didion’s essays are quite pricey (especially if signed). You could easily see how you could spend (waste!) a huge amount of money if you had no idea what you were doing. For example, I know that here, in the UK, rare books shops still sell by catalogue – but is that generally overpriced? Are books fairs (once we get out and about again) worth attending? ... or am I just destined to spend even more time on ebay and abebooks :)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:32 am 

red_bus wrote in Anyone here collect books?:Thanks everyone - this is really interesting! I was really thinking about some of the books that have meaning for me outside of gaming. So for example, I have done a lot of work in the environmental field and there are interesting books there that have had an impact upon society. e.g. Silent Spring by Rachel Carson came out in the early 1960s and really changed the way people thought about nature and the impact of humans upon the environment. 1st printings run at about £400-500 (or so, I really don’t know much about this field and don't know how to start valuing such things). Or Edward Abbey’s Monkey Wrench Gang (1975) inspired much of what we now think of as eco-activism (and is also a terrific novel) and it seems to go for £5-600+
Or even just more fun books, like early copies of Joan Didion’s essays are quite pricey (especially if signed). You could easily see how you could spend (waste!) a huge amount of money if you had no idea what you were doing. For example, I know that here, in the UK, rare books shops still sell by catalogue – but is that generally overpriced? Are books fairs (once we get out and about again) worth attending? ... or am I just destined to spend even more time on ebay and abebooks :)

In the buy sell transaction, the buyer buys because he values the money lower than what he values the book. He values three aspects of the book. It's utility (as a readable item), the pleasure he will get from owning the item and showing it to others, and his evaluation of any investment realisation it may possess if it is sold later on. The book seller has a similar set of values which he uses to set the price of the book.

So with both the book seller in a shop, and the book seller in a book fair, you really have to ask yourself if you know more than the book seller. Do you have knowledge that the book seller and other customers do not have? And is your assessment of value accurate?

I stopped buying, even though I used to consume novels with a passion, and had direct access to authors to sign and date the books, and was able to provide corroborative authenticating information that others could not (having staff access to authors), because I was spending money following a passion and needed to spend money more wisely. I did not have any greater market knowledge that people who ran businesses and traded these books for their livelihood, nor were my assessments of value any more accurate than your average graduate or parent. So when I ceased having privileged access, I ceased buying 1st day covers.

That said I still wouldn't drop $6K on a woodgrain or $1K on a Palace of the Vampire Queen, despite my experience telling me there would be a high likelihood of a good return.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:52 am 

People buy stuff for lots of reasons including to actually use it or maybe just to look at it.  Maybe they need it or maybe just want it.  Some people buy stuff because their friends want it.  Sometimes I find myself buying something and then realizing I didn't really need it or want it, but I am getting much better at figuring that out in advance.  Some buy to resell.  Some like the thrill of buying.

I've been purging quite a bit of my collections over the past few years.  My comic book collection is half the size it used to be. I've bought a bunch of books and traded in about the same amount.  I've sold over $1000.00 of rpg stuff I'll never need again.

I think it's important to figure out your motive for collecting.  For me, if it adds quality to my life, I get it.  If it only adds quantity to my life, I don't get it.  I am learning more and more that the less stuff I have, generally the happier I am and vice versa.  But I clearly understand my motive may not be the same as anyone else's.  8)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:49 pm 

benjoshua wrote in Anyone here collect books?:The best book I've found on the Middle Ages is A Distant Mirror by Barbara W. Tuchman.  It's not a thorough description of the Middle Ages, but it is an enjoyable and entertaining read.   8)

I really enjoyed this... A World Lit Only by Fire - by William Manchester

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:50 pm 

Lordan wrote in Anyone here collect books?:I really enjoyed this... A World Lit Only by Fire - by William Manchester

Hey thanks - I'll read it while watching tonight's riots.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:25 pm 

I recently reorganized all of my history hardcovers (1500 books?) and put them in historical order and I came across my copy of A World Lit only by Fire which I have not yet read (I have read another of his books and enjoyed it).

Shrink is not a condition

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:09 am 

Lordan wrote in Anyone here collect books?:I really enjoyed this... A World Lit Only by Fire - by William Manchester

It has interesting reviews.  Apparently it's really good reading, but not great accuracy.  Those 1 and 2 star reviews probably came from history teachers who prefer their history so detailed, it's boring.   :(   I also did a Google search on great Middle Ages history books, and it made the list!  But even the summary there referred to it's lack of accuracy.   :?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:22 am 

benjoshua wrote in Anyone here collect books?:
It has interesting reviews.  Apparently it's really good reading, but not great accuracy.  Those 1 and 2 star reviews probably came from history teachers who prefer their history so detailed, it's boring.   :(   I also did a Google search on great Middle Ages history books, and it made the list!  But even the summary there referred to it's lack of accuracy.   :?

You can't expect a history teacher to have an imagination. Next you'll be expecting them to have a sense of humour as well. Before long we'll end up with Black Adder and Monty Python, one armed knights, wise women, and foot long codpieces. That level of tom foolery never dug up a king in a supermarket carpark.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:58 pm 

Mister Yuk wrote in Anyone here collect books?:How many kids just listened to the radio?

Bought my eldest a record player and some vinyl for Xmas, he loves it

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:41 pm 

Great advice and stories in this thread.

I used to collect books. They were more interest-based, and not as collectibles. History, Military, Sciences, Fantasy/Scifi, RPGs, like many of you.

Most of the collection - about 800 volumes - back in Oct 2002 I put up as seed to start the business. Back then there was little online competition, and they fetched prices that wouldn't happen today. That was the core of my business in the early years, niche fiction and nonfiction. RPGs didn't come in until later.

I still have two smaller shelves of favorite books.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:18 pm 

red_bus wrote in Anyone here collect books?:Increasingly I have found my interest wandering to 1st Editions of some of the books which have been (or are) important to me. Anyone here collect books, and if so, any advice for a person starting out?

The only "book" I have that is worth any money at all (that is not a D&D book) is George Cameron Stone's A Glossary of the Construction, Decoration, and Use of Arms and Armor in All Countries and in All Times - Slipcase Edition, number 34 of 100.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

PreviousNext