Locating original AD&D artwork
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:25 am 

beasterbrook wrote in Locating original AD&D artwork:
Original Magic art is INSANE.. should have bough some

Wait wait!! I am not in mtg but i bought an original artowrk by j.jacquays... ages ago... How insane are now the prices???

Secondly if you want to have a chat with someone who was in this area of the hobby, you'd better try to get in touch with the trove (this is the nick he has/had at time of the collector's trove!)... Maybe someone here knows him and can address you better...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:52 pm 

increment wrote in Locating original AD&D artwork:Brette said what needed to be said.

The prospect of beating a dead horse has never stopped us before. What makes you think it will stop us now?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:43 pm 

If a person has an overwhelming desire to own an art piece - lets say a painting by Jeff Easley - but not a specific piece, just one that appeals. Unless you can identify a specific item with a specific owner, and raise sufficient funds to pry it away from them, you'd be better off commissioning an original. Same goes for all the artists who aren't pushing up daisies. That's what our limited edition art projects have been about. If 80 people pay $100 for a print, and the artist retains the original, then I suspect an artists would entertain a commission where they hand over the original for $10K. Can you buy an original Easley or EO painting painting for $10K on the private art market?

The questions that a buyer really needs to ask are, what exactly is it he wants to buy, and what does he intend for it to do in the future?
Does he want a specific painting? A specific artist? A specific feeling in the art? A specific reputation or significance in an art piece?
And does he want it for display? Investment? Security against inflation? Actual appreciation in value?

'I wanna buy a painting - where can I buy one?' is a meaningless question.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:26 pm 

aia wrote in Locating original AD&D artwork:
Wait wait!! I am not in mtg but i bought an original artowrk by j.jacquays... ages ago... How insane are now the prices???

post a pic and I'll ask someone who knows better than me

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:59 am 

beasterbrook wrote in Locating original AD&D artwork:
post a pic and I'll ask someone who knows better than me

Brette:)

Well, before i find it, it can take ages... Let me start the search...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:52 am 

Do you remember which card?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:00 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Locating original AD&D artwork:Do you remember which card?

Found it! Actually its not a MTG card, its a blood wars card: the wemic shaman!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:39 pm 

I have some art that I produced for TSR Dungeon magazines and Wizards Spell Compendium. I have not yet scanned them all but this is a good impetus to get started on that! What I have right now you can see at Dungeons and Dragons Original Art For Sale! – Toren Atkinson

I'll post again when I get some more images up

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Creator of Spaceship Zero, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets, Caustic Soda, Ruin Nation, Toren's Guide to Everything and other weirdness

Previous