This is expensive and confusing
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:41 am 

A thing I found on ebay: The Lost Handbook.

I've never heard of or seen this before. I'm going to say it's not sanctioned by TSR, but I'll be honest, I'm not sure what it is I'm even looking at.

Edited to add: "Seller is on our blacklist"? This is interesting! Should I ask about how this transpired?

--Scott
Hobby-applied project: http://orc.one
Day/night job: http://cgfx.us

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:01 am 

I think one did sell a while back for $200+. But its basically a print on demand item.

The Lost Handbook | RPG Item | RPGGeek

From the Title Page:
A COMPENDIUM OF OFFICIAL STRATEGIC REVIEW AND DRAGON MAGAZINE RULES UPDATES FOR THE AD&D™ GAME. TOTALING THE LENGTH OF THE PLAYER’S HANDBOOK PLUS DUNGEON MASTER’S GUIDE, THIS WORK COMMENTS ON, EXPANDS, AND ILLUMINATES THE AD&D™ SYSTEM. EVERY ARTICLE THAT DESCRIBES WHAT IS OFFICIAL IN DRAGON, OR STATES THAT IT IS OFFICIAL, OR THAT WAS SCRIBED BY GARY GYGAX APPEARS HEREIN. UNEARTHED ARCANA IS OBSOLETE.

User Description:
This fan-compiled book gathers all of the articles published in the early TSR magazines, Strategic Review and Dragon Magazine, written by Gygax, Kuntz, Moore, Mentzer, and Lakofka. It was briefly posted on LULU as a POD product printed at cost in 2015, but was removed after only 2 months.
Hide Content        
More Information

COPYRIGHT INFRINGING ITEM

After some discussion and research, this product is not officially licensed by the copyright holders and as such is a bootleg/unofficial product. As such, we will allow the listing here on the RPG geek for informational use only but no marketplace items, no links nor files will be allowed for this entry and no trades/sales are allowed for this item. No exceptions.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:50 am 

The pdf is out there.  If you find it, get it printed at LuLu for like $15.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:27 pm 

muaddib5 wrote in This is expensive and confusing:The pdf is out there.  If you find it, get it printed at LuLu for like $15.

That would be much more reasonable. (Odd. After posting, that seller now has it for a bit less. Still very costly, though.)

Copy in the link says "UNEARTHED ARCANA IS OBSOLETE" which seems a bit breathless. Maybe?

I admit I found it. Paged through it a fair bit, but I think I can safely pass on this.

It does kind of remind me of some of the paste-up I did just before college, with photocopied entries from the earliest Deities and Demigods (Cthulhu Mythos) and bits from the Dictionary of Imaginary Places relevant to Lovecraft's work, with some of my own art and calligraphy spliced into it. I think I made three books, only one of which actually survived the past 30 years or so.

--Scott
Hobby-applied project: http://orc.one
Day/night job: http://cgfx.us

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:40 pm 

This was put together by someone on G+ a few years back, I remember when they posted it. It is just one person's unauthorized compilation of Dragon magazine articles.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:19 pm 

Zenopus wrote in This is expensive and confusing:This was put together by someone on G+ a few years back, I remember when they posted it. It is just one person's unauthorized compilation of Dragon magazine articles.

I picked one of these up. Have the PDF, seems like a handy compilation of articles I'd otherwise have to flip through many magazines to find. It'll be nice to have a hardcopy.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:01 pm 

Alaskanaut wrote in This is expensive and confusing:A thing I found on ebay: The Lost Handbook.

I've never heard of or seen this before. I'm going to say it's not sanctioned by TSR, but I'll be honest, I'm not sure what it is I'm even looking at.

Edited to add: "Seller is on our blacklist"? This is interesting! Should I ask about how this transpired?

It's back. I bought it but didnt pay as I found this thread (thank you).
I gave the seller a chance to cancel before I report them to eBay, we will see.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:21 pm 

gregory wrote in This is expensive and confusing:I gave the seller a chance to cancel before I report them to eBay, we will see.

What is the basis of your complaint, since it is identified in the listing as a fan creation?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:37 pm 

Dont feel bad about not completing purchase, or for making the error. I have bought a couple of things after missing, or glazing over things I didnt understand, in the description.

I responded to the original post, so maybe you are newer as most of us were at some point. A few folks here were never new to DnD, which is strange, but accurate.

These things come up. Just ask or look here first. Even if you have that feeling of finding something cool or unusual.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:59 am 

sauromatian wrote in This is expensive and confusing:
What is the basis of your complaint, since it is identified in the listing as a fan creation?

Trademark infringement. As per the many reports on this esteemed website.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:53 am 

I understand there were some other fanmade/bootleg/unofficial products of this type/formant including The Lost Adventures Vol 1,2 & 3, Fiend Folio 2 and MM 3

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:20 pm 

Orlandojones wrote in This is expensive and confusing:I understand there were some other fanmade/bootleg/unofficial products of this type/formant including The Lost Adventures Vol 1,2 & 3, Fiend Folio 2 and MM 3

Good to know, thank you. Might save me from myself.