Informal poll
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:27 pm 

cavscout761 wrote:Just my .02 (OK, maybe it's only worth .01)

:D  :lol:  :lol:

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:50 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
cavscout761 wrote:Just my .02 (OK, maybe it's only worth .01)

:D :lol: :lol:

***places a bid*** .03

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:59 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:
:D :lol: :lol:

***places a bid*** .03

Do you know something about cavscout's packing method for his 2 cents that the rest of us don't, Alan?  :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:28 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:In defence of the present listed valuations, I would say there is a difference between the inherent underlying value of a product, and it's present value in the market place. The fact that I can get £110K for my house in the present economic climate does not detract from the fact that it is a £80K property. I may choose to sell it when the market is up, but I would be very stupid to mortgage it for more than £80K unless I was planning to be in it for the long haul.

If you consider the valuations offered as an inherent underlying value, and not a value that goes up and down at the whim of the eBay market, you should not go far wrong.

I know I paid $879 for a PoVQ without folder, but that was a desicion based in part on the US vs. UK exchange rate. If I had known there was a black folder version coming up the following week I'd have bid differently.

Personally, I don't think Acaeums values for products affect their sale price one bit. Far less so that their descriptions and print sequence do.

Just my 2...

Now that is nicely said.

But, when I look at "value" I'm using it to determine what something will probably sell for or what I will probably end up paying to get it.

<i>I have to agree here.  Price guides are not taken as guides by the general public, and never have been.  That's the reality of the situation, although most collectible markets, if they publish a price guide, they still call it a guide and make mention that these are suggested values simply to cover their own asses. </i>

Actually, the general public takes the guides as summaries of what the prices are likely to be.

Though I ended up paying more to get a rules Cyclopedia because I (a) wanted one and (b) no one seemed to be letting them slip through e-bay for less.

I follow sword sales, somewhat, and the issues are similar.  I'm always amazed to see items where there are wait lists go for significant discounts sometimes and a mark-up at others.

Classifieds (Non-business Users)

can be an interesting experience.

I'm still learning here, while I try to get the heroquest file materials back (all the internal chaosium papers pre-Robin Laws actually putting the rules together) and other misc. stuff.

And, I still need to get to the post office to mail out my current box of stuff to Paul.

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:31 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Ethesis, I see your point, but like I said, Huckie would not be the only one to pay $1,500. Someone was willing to pay $1,495. And someone was probably willing to pay $1,100. And so on.

I'm not sure we are disagreeing.

I'm almost tempted to post some various market and value theories, some marxist labor theory of value, etc. stuff.  But then, I don't want to become an example of why many economists are loathed, hated and disliked. ;)

(Most of those theories disagree, and many claim that the other ones are long discredited).

Anyway, this has been an interesting post indeed.

Regards,

Stephen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:02 am 

Ethesis wrote:Now that is nicely said.

But, when I look at "value" I'm using it to determine what something will probably sell for or what I will probably end up paying to get it.

In which case, maybe we should be publishing 'Underlyings Estimated Value' and 'Projected Market Value for 2005/6' based on the current sales trends. That gives you one set of figures that fluctuate gradually and are likely to increase over time, and a second set of figures that refect the market more closely, but will have highs and lows.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:55 am 

First time I've been back to this thread since my first post.

johnhuck wrote:
Deadlord36 wrote:What would you personally pay for this item, assuming finances were not an issue?

Difficult. These aren't meant to be smart-assed answers...

If finances were not an issue and I new there was no one else in the running, as little as I thought I could get away with. $750?

If finances were not an issue and I new there were others being offered it, probably well over the odds so that the seller wasn't tempted to try and play us off against each other. $1500

But finances are an issue, so I would tell them to ask someone else.

(Please note that the figures used were for illustrative purposes only and might be way off the mark)

To put my answer in other words, what I was trying to say was that in the hypothetical situation of finances not being an issue, I would still want to pay the least amount I thought I could get away with while still getting the item.

This could be as little as $750 or as much as $1500 depending on my understanding of the sellers postion.

However, in the real world I would not be bidding anything.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:06 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
Ethesis wrote:Now that is nicely said.

In which case, maybe we should be publishing 'Underlyings Estimated Value' and 'Projected Market Value for 2005/6' based on the current sales trends. That gives you one set of figures that fluctuate gradually and are likely to increase over time, and a second set of figures that refect the market more closely, but will have highs and lows.

That is not a bad idea, and the way many stock analysts discuss stock.  You have the estimated long term value and the current range of market prices.  The one is the value to a collector, the other is the current price a buyer or seller would expect.

Regards,

Stephen

Previous