Collector's Trove Presents: The Tim Jiardini
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:49 pm 

Well, all the "big stuff" is now completely out of my reach, which was expected.  (I had a blast the first night convincing myself nobody would notice the Orange B3).  But I'm wondering if anyone else is thinking of picking up some of the low end items (ie, X1).  Why?

Each lot comes with its own unique Letter of Authentication personally signed and dated by Tim Jiardini.

I regretted not doing this with the DCS auction earlier, and I understand Stormber has a few more big name auctions in the works.  Might be a chance to pick up some autographs, since I never make it to the cons. :)

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:55 pm 

GamersRest[FNG] wrote:
El Diablo Robotico wrote:[quote="GamersRest[FNG]"]of course I accidentily bid higher on the folio, didn't pay attention, was thinking I was bidding again on the 1980 Gamma World, oh well.

*glare*

;)

You can always try and outbid me...wouldn't hurt my feelings too much.

~jeff[/quote]

I might at that, but I'm also looking at some Judges Guild stuff in other auctions... too much to buy, not enough money to spend!!! urgh. There's another CSotWE that went up yesterday and it's already at $40...  le sigh.

My glare was more teasing than anything else.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:46 am 

El Diablo Robotico wrote:I might at that, but I'm also looking at some Judges Guild stuff in other auctions... too much to buy, not enough money to spend!!! urgh. There's another CSotWE that went up yesterday and it's already at $40... le sigh.

My glare was more teasing than anything else.

yeah i been watching that since yesterday too - thought it might go up. there seems to be less JG stuff going on auction now, which is cool! maybe the stuff i have/am hoarding will actually be worth something then :)

i hope that the items in stormber's auctoins all go for real premium prices - just think they deserve to for what they are and that the winners will all appreciate them for what they are. i know for a fact that if i win anything from Tim's stuff, it will be stored away exactly as it is won. pure collecting. anything else would be an insult as to its history.

now if i could just WIN something. :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:22 pm 

Howdy All,

Just some interesting stats on  the Collector's Trove Presents: The Tim Jiardini Collection:

Unique! Players Handbook TRUE 1st 1st Sold!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5173461823

2,200 views, 66 watchers, 19 bids, $320 high bid!

D&D B3 Palace of the Silver Princess Orange!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5173461064

800 views, 60 watchers, 26 bids, $910 high bid!

TSR D&D Original Collector's Ed. Autographed!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5173444200

286 views, 26 watchers, 14 bids, $103 high bid!

TSR D&D Supplement I: Greyhawk TRUE 1st Print

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5173442884

207 views, 9 watchers, 9 bids, $77 high bid!

Any thoughts on what the numbers mean? I'd say number of bids is a more accurate measure of competition, than either the number of views or  watchers. What do you folks think.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:54 pm 

As I thought there might be some interest I posted a link at WOTC for the, "Unique! Players Handbook TRUE 1st 1st Sold!". This may have created a surge in the view numbers for this item but not in additional bids as it would be viewed by a lot of non-collectors.

Cheers,

Curt

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:56 pm 

They all started at the same price, right?

Correlations between high bid and: views, watchers, and # of bids are

0.22, 0.70, and 0.94 (actually nonlinear exponential).  I don't know if that indicates competition, though.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:05 pm 

Howdy Curt,

CGOULD42 wrote:As I thought there might be some interest I posted a link at WOTC for the, "Unique! Players Handbook TRUE 1st 1st Sold!". This may have created a surge in the view numbers for this item but not in additional bids as it would be viewed by a lot of non-collectors.

Thanks for that. I have seen it discussed on several forums/groups/lists.

I assume the high number of "viewers" are interested in what the item is but not for bidding. The high number of "watchers" are interested in the results of the bidding but not in bidding themselves. The number of "bidders" seems to be the true gauge of the competition for the item.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:16 pm 

i think you might genuinely see a flood of bids go in during the last 5-10 minutes and no doubt the professional snipers amongst our ranks will have their say come the last 5-10 seconds too !

i don't think they are done yet by any means!  :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:07 pm 

Were those sheets game used sheets for this character, or just filled out from the originals and submitted for inclusion of the Rogue's Gallery?

What I'm asking is, is it a Babe Ruth jersey, or a game worn Babe Ruth jersey?

Thanks.

-Byron

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:28 pm 

I must first say, that I am very very happy for both Paul and Tim, but seriously some of those auction prices are starting to get stupid. :roll: Shrinked or not, $100.00 for a Greyhawk Boxed set and also another $100.00 for, an at best, a 4th print Greyhawk folio. 8O Another $97.00 for 3 later print hardcover books even in the awesome shape that they are in seems way steep to me. I don't know maybe I am just being silly. Maybe "I" should be listed in a brand new thread called: "Silliest Auctioneer of the Year".

:wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:32 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I must first say, that I am very very happy for both Paul and Tim, but seriously some of those auction prices are starting to get stupid. :roll: Shrinked or not, $100.00 for a Greyhawk Boxed set and also another $100.00 for, an at best, a 4th print Greyhawk folio. 8O Another $97.00 for 3 later print hardcover books even in the awesome shape that they are in seems way steep to me. I don;t know maybe I am just being silly. Maybe "I" should be listed in a brand new thread called: "Silliest Auctioneer of the Year".

:wink:

i think we need to get stormber to introduce all our auctions....we will all be so rich then!  :wink:

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:50 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:i think we need to get stormber to introduce all our auctions....we will all be so rich then! :wink:

Definitely. :D I can have him sell the crappy stuff as the bclarkie collectors trove. Its all beat up and smells like smoke from heavy usage around the game table. Don't miss your opportunity to get these once in a lifetime items. To aucthenticate that these are actually really items used at the game table you will get a letter auctenticating that the sticky food fingerprints all over the books and modules are in fact bclarkie's. :wink:

BTW Alan, did you get your stuff in the mail yet that I sent you?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:52 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:i think we need to get stormber to introduce all our auctions....we will all be so rich then! :wink:

Definitely. :D I can have him sell the crappy stuff as the bclarkie collectors trove. Its all beat up and smells like smoke from heavy usage around the game table. Don't miss your opportunity to get these once in a lifetime items. To aucthenticate that these are actually really items used at the game table you will get a letter auctenticating that the sticky food fingerprints all over the books and modules are in fact bclarkie's. :wink:

BTW Alan, did you get your stuff in the mail yet that I sent you?

LOL i like it - thats the biz aint it - c'mon stormber - you know ya wanna :)

BC nope no stuff arrived yet! do i need to do a chargeback yet? :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:14 pm 

killjoy32 wrote: BC nope no stuff arrived yet! do i need to do a chargeback yet? :D

NO. :wink: I sent it priority last week like Wednesday or Thursday so you should have it soon. :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:15 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
killjoy32 wrote: BC nope no stuff arrived yet! do i need to do a chargeback yet? :D

NO. :wink: I sent it priority last week like Wednesday or Thursday so you should have it soon. :D

heh paypal gimme a chargeback baby!  :twisted:

hehehehe

thats cool mate cheers :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:57 pm 

Howdy,

beyerun wrote:Were those sheets game used sheets for this character, or just filled out from the originals and submitted for inclusion of the Rogue's Gallery?

What I'm asking is, is it a Babe Ruth jersey, or a game worn Babe Ruth jersey?

The sheets match the Rogues Gallery entry fairly accurately. I don't think Tim was as secretive about Arrarat as Gary and Rob were about their PC's.

Tim actually said there were a number of character sheets for Arrarat, saying, "...you know how you rewrite your character sheets every so often...". Arrarat went through a number of incarnations as they were always messing with him. The main reason for this, other than wearing out the sheets, was that the rules were a' changing.

Examining the sheets reveals the blue sheet, copyright 1977, was using OD&D rules, including the Greyhawk supplement but not AD&D. The goldenrod sheet, copyright 1979, definitely uses the AD&D rules, with just a few anomalies.

Points of discussion between Ernie and Tim: Ernie made everyone roll up a bunch of rangers (a la Joe Fischer's Strategic Review article) to testplay them in his campaign (this is where we get the limited number of rangers rule), Ernie told Tim dexterity was important for rangers and made him put a high score into dexterity (determined initiative only in OD&D), Erinie told Tim when Arrarat lost his ranger status would he gain the d10 hit dice but then they changed the rule for AD&D and he got stuck with d8, and, of course, alignment changed, as Arrarat started (as all rangers) as Lawful (OD&D 3-alignment system) but later converted to Chaotic Good (AD&D 9-alignment system).

The characters sheets are really an amazing time capsule of change, and the evolution of AD&D.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:46 pm 

This is just insanity now:  15 minutes to go and the PHB is now $1,250.00 8O

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 3&rd=1

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:52 pm 

Howdy,

bclarkie wrote:This is just insanity now: 15 minutes to go and the PHB is now $1,250.00 8O

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 3&rd=1

Insanity? Nay! Passion! Yay! :D

Futures Bright,

Paul

PreviousNext