Clipped
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:35 am 

Is the top right corner clip I am seeing on DMG First prints coincidence or factory? I have one like this btw.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Tszii on Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:43 am 

Can't really tell from the pics, but "remaindering" books is a method used by book publishers to denote returned products.  They usually do it with a black marker, but on a dark-colored book like the DMG, maybe they used something white (or scratched the surface).  On thinner books (like modules), they might even cut a notch out of the top.  These now-damaged books will be sold at bargain prices, and the remaindering mark ensures they can't be returned for full price.

With all that said, I can't imagine a 1st print DMG being returned by a store.  These books flew off the shelves.

Foul

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:41 pm 

Couldn't discern the actual auctions from your post, but I was able to track them down.  It would be best if you could provide the actual links in the future.

That top right whitening is simply from wear, which is common on books of this age.  It's also on the edges and other corners of these books, as it is on many of the DMGs that are sold from this period.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:59 pm 

I always think of this thread when I see these, and I feel like I see them consistently. I'm going to keep adding these. :)

I think the heavier the purple sheen, and top right corner clip, means its the earliest of the print run. 3D looking images, from a misprint, with a heavy purple sheen and corner clip are the absolute earliest.

I base this on my tummy and neck hairs.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:23 pm 

Its clipped.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:37 pm 

This one is clipped too.

I think its clear, I am looking for affirmation.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:11 pm 

Tszii wrote in Clipped:I think its clear, I am looking for affirmation.

Impressive condition - someone must have set this aside from day one. Even has the red-&-yellow spine inlay of a 1st-alpha.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:37 pm 

Tszii wrote in Clipped:This one is clipped too.

I think its clear, I am looking for affirmation.

Could these be the 3rd beta prints? Scarring still present on the covers. I've never heard exactly what the scarring looked like.

Mike

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:41 pm 

Yes, I am crazy about this subject.

Aside from my being 100% convinced some early first print DMGs have a factory clipped corner, I think the earliest have a solid purple top coat/sheen. First print DMGs without the purple top coat/sheen tend to show more wear; like this one. This image is a later copy, without the clip or purple sheen.

I dont believe establishing the earlier first prints would make a difference to most anyone. I do think some folks may wonder what the sheen is about, and would consider the "clip" damage, when IMHO, its totally fine damage since it seems to be a sign of early printing issues.

So, lurkers doing first print DMG research: some nut on on this site thinks clipped corners and purple sheens are normal and not alterations or damage.

I will continue to post examples as I seek justification and affirmation for my obsession.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.