Does Burntwire have a lot of money or is he misinformed?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:04 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3114552519  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3115282192  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3115474840  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3113758174  Our good friend Burntwire seems to have a ton of money as he doesn't mind paying so much money for some of the items I have listed above.  Is he trying to be an overnight supercollector??? I mean he is bidding on everything in sight. Perhaps just another person who has money to spend and doesn't mind paying high prices.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:19 pm 

The guy spent ~$200 on the 4 items you have shown; is that a ton of money?  On two of the items he spent $1 more than another bidder was willing to spend. How is this overspending?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:38 am 

Dude Busman, go check out the rest of what he bought before you give quick answers. He has spent over 2k in just a few weeks. I call that a lot. And if you must look closely, he spent $100 on just a paper weight. I call that a lot of money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:29 am 

Sure he spent a bit of dough, but I wouldn't say he is misinformed, most of the auctions he was in were open auctoins that he won, not really overpaying there.  PoVQ for $561 C&M D&D for $20 pre-pub edition of R3 Egg of Phoenix for $900  I wouldn't say these are uninformed decisions, would you?  I have to admit $50 for the belt buckle made me laugh.  Maybe it Gygax himself starting up a D&D museum.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:30 am 

From what I hear, he bought each prepub for $900 each. Thats $2700 right there. They were missing the envelope I am told as well. Its like buying a ST1 for full price with no cover.  I dunno who the guy is, but he seems to be buying everything in sight from $100 paperweights down to misc Tsr items. More power to him I guess but people like him are the reasons why prices on certain things may skyrocket for a short time.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:27 pm 

No doubt, I wouldn't mind having $10K to drop on whatever I felt like; but I suppose to people with millions, $10K is chump change.  But just think, if you can get your hands on anything TSR you m ay be able to sell it to him for what you think is an inflated price, no?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:38 pm 

Well Busman, I presume I could charge an inflated price on anything tsr to burnt. When I go to gencon and see Gygax blow his nose, I will be sure to save the napkin. Bag and board it and sell it on ebay and hope burntwire buys it for a godly amount of money. Gygax's personal snot, now that is super rare :lol:  :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:06 pm 

Since Burntwire has been spending so much money on items, I would have thought he would have tried to put a much higher bid on that Tsr Spotlight. Maybe he ran out? If I was him, I would have put a higher bid on the Spotlight than that paper weight.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:03 pm 

Looks like Burntwire is going after non tsr items and tolkien items as well!!  He just bought  the following:  Book of Fantasy Miniatures Wizards and Warfare  Perhaps he is trying to be a tsr and non tsr supercollector. I wonder why he got the wizards and warfare. Its a wargaming item that has a tolkien theme.   PS. I will be showing very soon the "motherload" I got in a hobby store in Southern California (sorry Mcduff I cleaned them all out). You'll be surprised what I got and you may want to go to the bathroom first. That means you too Alan :-)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:30 am 

I asked BURNTWIRE what he was looking for (since he pays top dollar obviously!)  Here's what he said: -------------------------- From:BURNTWIRE  Thanks for the heads up. I buy mainly older 1st Ed. D&D, AD&D, other TSR related items(1989 or older). Give me a list of items that fall into that catagory w/ condition and maybe we can work something out.  Thanks, Devon(BURNTWIRE)  -------------------------  Seems like a normal, old school collector with a lot of money!

-------------------------------------------------

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:07 am 

Hey Jon, great detective work. Interesting. I'm sure he reads the acaeum so I wonder why he doesn't come in and say hi or anything. Maybe ego has something to do with it? I dunno...  I'll try and send him a email....

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:06 am 

Here is the skinny on Burntwire:  Name: Devon Hibbs E-Mail: [email protected] Excerpt from an e-mail I received from him:      "I work for a living (union electrician) and don't have unlimited funds(I am a Collectaholic when it comes to D&D and spend a good percentage of my income). I have been playing D&D for 20 yrs. and I only bid on the stuff I don't already own. I don't try to jack up prices, I actually use what I buy. When I see something I've never seen before I go after it and bidding at the last second keeps the price down. There are people who outbid me all the time(GUIDO-THE-GYPSY, ZANARCHIST, COUGARRINARD, etc.) I,m a good guy and my feedback shows it(300+positive 0 neg.)."  Hope this helps you all understand the man, Sounds like a really nice guy.

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:59 am 

He does sure sound like a nice guy so I may have misjudged him. However Kosh tell him to join the forums and chat with all the other collectors.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:47 pm 

Hi guys,  Just trying to clear up a few myths about my wealth and insanity 8O No I'm not wealthy, I make a decent living as a Foreman Electrician, but I admit I spend way more than I should on collecting. Also you should know that my younger brother also buys under my account with ebay to add to our mutual collection. It was just tax time and my refund check was spent on the R1-3 Pre-Pubs someone mentioned(I actually paid $800 ea. for R1 and R2, $900 for R3 total=$2500). My brother and I are constantly watching ebay for thing we don't own or may be rare. We do snipe but that keeps prices low.  Peace, burntwire

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:51 pm 

Hey Burntwire (devon and bro) glad you have posted and joined the acaeum forums!   I hope you have a focus on what to collect. Collecting everything is very expensive and time consuming!!   PS. If your going to collect tolkien stuff let me know and I can share info with you. That wizards and warfare item you won is a tolkien item/wargaming item. Just let me know first and we can help each other out on that. If you don't I will have to destroy you since your venturing into my collecting focus (tolkien items that is, no merp though).

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:53 pm 

Hi Mkman, No I really don't collect Tolkein items(I didn't know the Wizards & Warfare was Tolkein related) so I'll try to stay out of your way on those items. I collect mostly pre-2nd Ed. but lately I have been buying some non TSR stuff if it looks interesting or rare. I definitely need to focus my collecting more. Expensive? Time consuming? Tell me about it, I'm a collectaholic and I need help! :lol:   See you at GenCon '03(in my backyard), burntwire

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:18 am 

Hi Burntwire, definitely have a small and easily to finish focus in mind. If your going after everything Tsr, there are waaaaay too many things and even some items that may be impossible to acquire. Theres no hurry so take your time.   PS. Please stay out of Non Tsr items as well.  :P  :lol:  8)  hehe j/k

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:51 pm 

Welcome to eBay  This guy can give Devon a run for his money! He is from Italy and bids on a lot of stuff as well. Perhaps Lu.le. might know who this person is?

Next