Most memorable D&D moments
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:12 am 

Hi everyone,
Not really a collecting thread, but I suspect collecting has grown out of great D&D experiences for many of us.

The exchange I had with johnhuck in the introductions thread awakened many fond D&D memories.  It would be fun to hear from others about some of their most memorable characters, adventure experiences, etc.

Some possibilities:  what was-
your favorite adventure or series as a player?
your most successful character?
your most memorable DMing experience?
and so on.

A turning point in my playing "career" came when a foolish (or over-confident) DM allowed my anti-paladin to find The Unholy Reaver.  Everything changed after that.  :twisted:

-Stephen (aka Fool)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:24 pm 

My first adventure was B2. I remember rolling a perfect 18/00 STR. The rest of my stats were pretty awesome too.
The DM had me chained to a wall in the temple, with the zombies. The party came in, and got eaten alive. I asked the DM if I could try to break my chains, and I did. So, the room is full of zombies who are about to converge on me. The DM ran thru a description, and said I could safely manage 1 action before I had to exit. My choices were to grab the leader's glowing bastard sword (+2!), or save the last living character, who was unconscious. I reasoned it out, grabbed the guy, and ran. He healed at the keep, we came back armed with holy water, torches, etc. and wasted the zombies. And I got the sword, which was still laying on the floor amidst the corpses. Everything worked out as I had figured it would.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:05 pm 

It has been a long time since I have played, a long time, but I can remember playing B2, and sh*ting bricks trying to figure out what the hell it was that was slithering toward us (the Gelatinous Cube), and then trying to kill it before it ate through our swords 8O . Another thing I specifically remember was when we were playing S2, the DM was a big d*ck, and he was so mad that we killed the ogre mage guarding black razor so easily, that he decided to have the ogre mage summon in a hydrodaemon in his dying breath :evil: Then still pissed because we killed that, he sent like 6 effretti in after us at the end of the module instead of just the 2(IIRC Box & Cox) he was supposed to :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:19 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Then still pissed because we killed that, he sent like 6 effretti in after us at the end of the module instead of just the 2(IIRC Box & Cox) he was supposed to :roll:

Not that it matters a great deal, but I happened to be perusing S2 when I read your post (my favorite all-time moddie, BTW):

First two efreet: Nix and Nox
Second two (at DM's discretion): Box and Cox

Attacking with six efreet? That's just plain mean ... :)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:52 pm 

Here's a memorable one:
Sitting in the middle of a forest outside Achaffenburg Germany, using my M3 APC ramp as a table, (resting on an oil drum to level it), playing D&D with some other enthusiasts from my company, when my DM decides that the potion I had just drank was cursed and it turns my elf fighter into an elven centaur! Had some interesting times after that (I ended up carrying ALL the party's bulky equipment) until he whacked me with a red dragon with a taste for horseflesh! Pretty creative guy I must say (for a grunt)  :wink:

Scouts out!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:28 pm 

cavscout761 wrote:Here's a memorable one:
Sitting in the middle of a forest outside Achaffenburg Germany, using my M3 APC ramp as a table, (resting on an oil drum to level it), playing D&D with some other enthusiasts from my company, when my DM decides that the potion I had just drank was cursed and it turns my elf fighter into an elven centaur! Had some interesting times after that (I ended up carrying ALL the party's bulky equipment) until he whacked me with a red dragon with a taste for horseflesh! Pretty creative guy I must say (for a grunt) :wink:

Cool!  Sounds like your DM might have been a Robert Asprin fan.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:30 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:My first adventure was B2. I remember rolling a perfect 18/00 STR. The rest of my stats were pretty awesome too.
The DM had me chained to a wall in the temple, with the zombies. The party came in, and got eaten alive. I asked the DM if I could try to break my chains, and I did. So, the room is full of zombies who are about to converge on me. The DM ran thru a description, and said I could safely manage 1 action before I had to exit. My choices were to grab the leader's glowing bastard sword (+2!), or save the last living character, who was unconscious. I reasoned it out, grabbed the guy, and ran. He healed at the keep, we came back armed with holy water, torches, etc. and wasted the zombies. And I got the sword, which was still laying on the floor amidst the corpses. Everything worked out as I had figured it would.

I love it!  18/00?  By the gods, man, I think I only had one of those - ever.  Nice start!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:09 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Then still pissed because we killed that, he sent like 6 effretti in after us at the end of the module instead of just the 2(IIRC Box & Cox) he was supposed to :roll:

Umm... tell me, please; did this have a happy ending, or not?

(Both for your characters and the DM in question?? :?)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:32 pm 

My other stats were pretty insane too. We used the 3d6 method, and you just rolled from top to bottom. I remember a 17 COn and 16 DEX, and the others were 10-13 or so. Perfect fighter. When I rolled the % dice, everyone freaked out, and I was like "What, is that good?".
I do recall that he never died. I think I still have the original sheet somewhere, probably in my original hardcovers. He was made into a demigod eventually.
I remember one other time, same character, we were transported via curse to England. The module the DM used was throne of evil (roleaids). He heavily modified it. We came up thru the caves, and found a huge battleaxe, a Celtic artifact. I of course picked it up, and it bonded to me. We took over the castle, captured the leader and his hippogriff, and we were planning on keeping the castle, when an expeditionary force attacked us, led by an antipaladin. The anti was on top of a huge siege tower they were rolling forward, and I waited for him on the wall. He jumped, I rolled a 20, and decapitated him. Turns out the ax was vorpal. The Dm showed me the stats for him after, and if it wasn't for that 20, I was meat.
Anyways, we beat off the force, only to get word that another HUGE army was on the way. So, I offered the mage of the group (I disliked mages) almost all my gold (around 60,000) for his gems (he was a gem collector), and only asked for 20,000 worth and the hippogriff, which was his. He agreed. I hopped the griff and flew off. After I was gone, the wizard realized he couldn't carry the coins. IIRC he ended up taking 1,000 gp. I got a lot of curses for that.
That would be another memorable occasion, considering it was almost 20 years ago and I remember it well. The DM was one of the cooks in our mess hall. Really good.
Now I have to dig up the sheet.................

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:32 pm 

Well, I don't know about Robert Asprin, but when your DM also happens to outrank you, it REALLY cuts down on the complaints! :lol:

Scouts out!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:43 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Now I have to dig up the sheet.................

Try to find the dice, too. With rolls like those, they are obvious candidates for the Dice Hall of Fame ...

I never did roll up one worthwhile PC using 3d6. We typically used 4d6, dropped the lowest, put the scores in any order we wanted, and STILL bitched when things didn't go our way. Later, it got ridiculous: 4d8, 5d6, using "mulligans" — you name it. Ah, the salad days ... :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:04 pm 

My first adventure was TKOTB back in 82, total hack and slash :)
My group mostly used homemade adventures, I did go thru The Lost City, and the entire Saltwater series, which are probably my favorite. I also liked to do thieving adventures in a city setting....had alot of fun with these.

I had a group that were after the adventure "backstabbers", we would work as team on the whole weekend, then sunday night when it was over and it was time to divide up the treasure and magic items......bodies hit the floor. :twisted:

As far as characters go, I had a Drow Elf (pre-Drizzt days) F/M/T that was probably my favorite character. I also liked 1/2 orc F/A's and Human thieves. Tried some others from time to time, but always seem to go back to the FMT.

I also played a little in the army, helped kill time in the field. My mother who was totally against me playing D&D (80's "it's devil worship" brainwashing) actually sent me some of my old books when I was hanging out in the Iraqi desert in 91......God bless her, that saved my morale.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:41 pm 

harami2000 wrote:

Umm... tell me, please; did this have a happy ending, or not?

(Both for your characters and the DM in question?? :?)

IIRC, it ended it up in a big fight, and I don't mean our characters versus the efreeti  :wink:. My good friend, who was actually the younger brother of the DM, TOTALLY FREAKED OUT 8O  8O  8O .  Well, after a long drawn out argument, the DM ended up relenting a bit to only having us only fight 4 of them  :evil:. I believe we were able to accomplish winning relatively unscathed (we lost maybe a character or 2), but it was an interesting ending to the module.

Xaxaxe wrote:Not that it matters a great deal, but I happened to be perusing S2 when I read your post (my favorite all-time moddie, BTW):

I agree, I really did love that whole module. Great design and I especially love the riddle of the sphinx in the opening encounter. :D

Xaxaxe wrote:First two efreet: Nix and Nox
Second two (at DM's discretion): Box and Cox

Attacking with six efreet? That's just plain mean ... :)

Well I was at least I was partially right  :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:26 am 

Back in about 78-79, when I was in college, one of my roommates worked at the Florida Inst. of Tech. radio station (WFIT).  One night about 2 am, a group of us played D & D live on the radio for about two hours.  A couple of guys called, very stoned, and thought it was cool - a bunch more wanted us off the air and back to the music.

That may be the first (and only) time D & D was played on the radio.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:41 pm 

Well, I was a 5th level barbarian in a 5th-10th advent (Greyhawk).  Well this 7th level munchkin Paladin was oozing with magik.  We were going into a dungeon expecting some MR denizens.  So I figure I will ask munchkin if he has a spare + weapon.  Well, he whips out his bag of holding, and begins producing a host of +5 weapons.  Unfortunately, the best he has that I am skilled with is a +5 MAGIC DAGGER.  Haha, thanks buddy.  Well, to make a long story short, as we were approaching the endgame, my Barbarian froze while contemplating jumping through a magic portal and was left behind.  The Paladin somehow escaped, though ended up in some alternate dimension.  I got a lot of experience, for destroying the dagger.

:)  He didn't need it anyway.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:47 pm 

Another time I was playing a FE Illusionist (4th level).  He best I had was minor invocation (i think that was it).  Well, the party Magic User had a knack for 'underestimating' the area of effect of his Fireball (he was 5th level).  He fried half of the party.  Well, I think he was half assassin or something stupid like that.  I wanted to invoke a lead anvil above his head.  The best I could get is a cloud of amonia gas.  :).  It worked as well.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:07 pm 

Favorite Series:
G1-3, D1-3, Q1. No question.

Most successful character?
13th MU/thief, forcibly reincarnated as a freakish half-troll, half-titan by the goddess Circe for daring to wander into her domain. (Becoming invisible at will and having a natural 25 STR makes for a wicked backstab. The other insane benefits didn't hurt either.) Eventually the DM discovered this was not exactly a curse and he was killed off by the dreaded "plot device".

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:34 am 

Well, something funny during the lost city (B4) expedition.

We cleaned all the pyramid (the 3 sects without hesitation were annihilated) and destroyed the boss, Zargon (look at that guy, very beautiful picture, i am afraid :lol: ). Our respected priest Darrigor (my little brother, age : 10) wanted to celebrate this great victory : he cut the horn of Zargon to make a cup (like vikings did).

If you remember, Zargon was able to regenerate itself thanks to his horn.

Or DM did not appreciate but did not say anything.

The next time, 4 gobelins (yes gobelins !) arrived, they ran veeeeeery fast and steal that horn from us, dodged our blades and fire balls they moved like dancers, a very choreographic scene... Tricky DMs !  :P

Next