More Stuff
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:44 pm 

Is there more D&D stuff for sale on ebay now than there was five or ten years ago? Or less? Is the overall quality higher? or Lower?

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:27 pm 

Now those are really tough questions to answer empirically...  I'm sure that eBay has statistics, on the volume at least, but obtaining that information might prove difficult.  Maybe fellow Acaeum members have been tracking the numbers?  The quality of D&D items is much harder to answer.

Anecdotally, I would say the volume has increased, perhaps due to an increase in eBay awareness and the Internet.  Quality is going to be about the same, probably worse as the items have aged or been used.

There probably has been an uptick in rares showing up, as the sale prices have increased, and the aging collectors have more disposable income available to spend.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:47 pm 

Tszii wrote in More Stuff:Is there more D&D stuff for sale on ebay now than there was five or ten years ago? Or less? Is the overall quality higher? or Lower?

I suspect there is more, but I suspect that the amount of 1e and OD&D stuff for is about the same or less.  There are many reports that D&D is growing in popularity overall.  Sales at Hasbro are up, for example.  Some of the reasons for the increase in sales may be Big Bang Theory, or Stranger Things, or even 5th Ed, or something else, or a combination of some or all of these things.  The only reason I say that older stuff may be plateauing is that while the popularity may be bringing more of it out of the closets and attics, that process of cleaning out the closets has been going on for some time now and the likelihood of pulling out old D&D stuff to sell is likely tapering off.  And not all people who pull anything out of the closet now are going to sell it.  I would guess the quality of the older stuff is going down, even though there are jewels that appear from time to time.  These are just some speculative thoughts.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Last edited by benjoshua on Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:15 pm 

benjoshua wrote in More Stuff:or something else

Critical Role.

Flying back from NT I sat next to a fellow who hasn't played D&D since the 80s, but is a big fan of CR.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:45 pm 

D&D has gained popularity due to the smart move (from a sales standpoint) of dumbing down the game for the current generation of kids.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:36 pm 

I have heard on-line sales are rising due to more people quarantined or just hunkering down in place while the pandemic looms.  If you are bored and have stuff to sell, now's a good time list it.  My eBay sales have picked up over the past week.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:03 pm 

Deadlord wrote in More Stuff:D&D has gained popularity due to the smart move (from a sales standpoint) of dumbing down the game for the current generation of kids.

I'm running a 5e game myself for the first time. Theyve really made it about superheroes rather just heroic and man do you move through the levels quickly. I do like the combat system

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:51 pm 

Tszii wrote in More Stuff:Is there more D&D stuff for sale on ebay now than there was five or ten years ago? Or less? Is the overall quality higher? or Lower?

I’m going to go with more (way more) of lesser quality.  As the demand has increased so have resellers and aggregators.  You could find really cool stuff 10 years ago on a weekly basis if you had coin.  Now maybe every other months with bills.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:32 am 

For what i see in EU, there is a sharp change: we are overwhelmed by tsr/wotc stuff of all the edtions moreover, by d20/3.X compatible stuff. What has basically disappeared is the stuff of dnd non-tsr, the small press books and that kind of stuff...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:18 pm 

I'll tell you how things have changed. Ten years ago, Kenny Rogers was still here to show us the way. Now we're just the Men Who Look Like No One.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:12 pm 

sauromatian wrote in More Stuff:I'll tell you how things have changed. Ten years ago, Kenny Rogers was still here to show us the way. Now we're just the Men Who Look Like No One.

He finally knew when to fold them...

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:56 pm 

Yep, I am responding to my own question.

Wow, there are a lot more items for sale today than there was 4 years ago. I can say from 2017, to 2019 when I asked this question, there were maybe 6 to 10 Ravenloft I6s listed. Now there is over 50. I actually recall considering an I6 because there were only four listed. I thought we were running out.

I can recall knowing every greyhawk supplement listed. There were so few. Now over 50.

Prices are up too. So that has brought on the supply?

The quality, imho, has somehow stayed about the same on average. Every B2 is still in the Holmes box, or beat to hell.

Few more stats you may just have to take my word for: There used to be about 165k total "Dungeons and Dragons" items listed on ebay. Now there are over 350k. I would also see about 700-800 "Monster Manual" returns, now its over 2300.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

dungeons and dragons greyhawk supplement for sale | eBay

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:04 pm 

I'll take quality over quantity any day.  There is a ton of rough stuff out there from people cleaning out basements and trying to make a buck.  Nothing wrong with doing that, however it definitely dilutes the listings.

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:20 pm 

I am maturing in my collecting and agreeing more. I have bought quality over the years too, but am getting more picky.