Ebay Ethics & Buy-It-Now
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Author


Prolific Collector

Posts: 112
Joined: May 11, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 24, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:47 am 
 

I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this situation.

There is a reseller on Ebay (i won't say what he resells but it isn't D&D) who buys up ALL  items of a certain type (much like the coug and H1).  What he doesn't win are bidded up to the stratosphere.

Ok not very ethical but nothing against ebay rules..

Thing is he resells all of the stuff with very High Buy-it-Now prices. Consequently he uses another account to bid on EVERY OTHER AUCTION WITH A BUY-IT-NOW that offers similar items just to ruin the BUY-IT-NOW so that only his items remain with the BUY-IT-NOW.

I'm not sure what people think about BIN (I personally think it works great - shame Ebay upped the fees on it) but I just think this is downright unethical.
i doubt it is against ebay policy though. Thoughts anyone?

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:12 am 
 

jagd wrote:I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this situation.

There is a reseller on Ebay (i won't say what he resells but it isn't D&D) who buys up ALL items of a certain type (much like the coug and H1). What he doesn't win are bidded up to the stratosphere.

Ok not very ethical but nothing against ebay rules..

Thing is he resells all of the stuff with very High Buy-it-Now prices. Consequently he uses another account to bid on EVERY OTHER AUCTION WITH A BUY-IT-NOW that offers similar items just to ruin the BUY-IT-NOW so that only his items remain with the BUY-IT-NOW.

I'm not sure what people think about BIN (I personally think it works great - shame Ebay upped the fees on it) but I just think this is downright unethical.
i doubt it is against ebay policy though. Thoughts anyone?


It sound to me like the the guy is a Jerk off, but personally I dont think that there is much you can do as I would imagine that unless he is not paying for the items he ends up winning, Ebay would not care at all. It sounds just like cougar though, because he is notorious for knocking off BINs that start with low opening bids. In that circumstance it really is up to the seller to set his auction up to prevent that from happening. When I am selling, most times I do not use Buy-It-Now at all, unless the item is fairly uncommon, it usually carries a good price, and that if somebody uses the BIN, I set it up with the notion that I probably would not have gotten that much without it. As an example, I have a listing of some 30-40 auctions running currently, but the only one I put a BIN on was my Dragon Magazine Archive. I set it up with a 0.01 opening bid, a $150.00 BIN, and a relatively low reserve of $35.00 (as a rule I almost never use reserves). I also listed in my auction what my reserve price was so that people knew what they would be bidding against. I used the opening bid of $0.01 to attract attention and I set the reserve so that somebody couldn't come in right away and knock of the BIN with a very lowball bid, thus ruining the opportunity for someone who really was interested in it that might be tempted to use the feature for that price. Just my .02 :D


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 112
Joined: May 11, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 24, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:22 am 
 

Yeah thats kind of what i figured. I'm wise to him and blocked him from my
auctions.

I was mainly asking for the little guy's - people who deserve a decent price for the items they sell.

Andy

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 405
Joined: Nov 23, 2002
Last Visit: Jan 26, 2018
Location: The Saltmarshes of Michigan

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:22 am 
 

I don't know how popular it would be, but I would like to see the BIN option stay available even after a bid. A seller would have his BIN option until the bidding reaches the BIN price. Is this a dumb idea?  :?
I too have run into characters like this on ebay that just bid (with no intention of winning) to cancel the BIN.

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3593
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 18, 2021
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:38 am 
 

Ekim Toor wrote:I don't know how popular it would be, but I would like to see the BIN option stay available even after a bid. A seller would have his BIN option until the bidding reaches the BIN price. Is this a dumb idea? :?
I too have run into characters like this on ebay that just bid (with no intention of winning) to cancel the BIN.


I agree with this, the Buy it now should stay active until the end or lets say 80% of it.


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:26 pm 
 

Ekim Toor wrote:I don't know how popular it would be, but I would like to see the BIN option stay available even after a bid. A seller would have his BIN option until the bidding reaches the BIN price. Is this a dumb idea? :?
I too have run into characters like this on ebay that just bid (with no intention of winning) to cancel the BIN.


I emailed this as a suggestion to eBay last year.  I asked if there could be a separate BIN reserve so that it didn't disappear as soon as an opening bid was placed.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, the minimum reserve in the UK is now £50!  So, you can't have a low start, reasonable reserve and BIN.  The start effectively becomes the reserve if you want to keep the BIN for a while.  Otherwise someone just places the 99p opening bid and spoils the BIN.

I got the usual autogenerated message.  But nothing since.

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:50 pm 
 

Ekim Toor wrote:I don't know how popular it would be, but I would like to see the BIN option stay available even after a bid. A seller would have his BIN option until the bidding reaches the BIN price. Is this a dumb idea? :?
I too have run into characters like this on ebay that just bid (with no intention of winning) to cancel the BIN.


I agree 100%, but the problem is that Ebay has no incentive to change it. Fact is, you as the seller puts the BIN on there and it doesn't matter if it ends up being used or not, you still have to pay for it. :roll: The worst part of it, and although it maybe small per listing, is the fact that by having a bidder choose the Buy It Now option, it is actually saving EBay money. The shorter amount of time it is listed as an active listing on EBay, the less money they spend to have to pay for the extra bandwidth space. I mean if you figure that active items receive as a very very conservative page hit count of 1/50th of page hits that archived items receive, then multiply that by the hundreds of thousands of BINs used everyday saving them from being on the active list the entire term of what the auction was supposed to be, the cost savings for EBay is SUBSTANTIAL 8O Just think about that for a second, you are paying extra to save EBay money. NICE!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:31 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote: the fact that by having a bidder choose the Buy It Now option, it is actually saving EBay money. The shorter amount of time it is listed as an active listing on EBay, the less money they spend to have to pay for the extra bandwidth space.


So, if the BIN stayed active even after someone had tried to spoil it with a crappy opening bid, wouldn't that be an incentive for eBay?  Someone could still come along and end the auction early despite not being the first bidder.

  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:04 pm 
 

johnhuck wrote:I emailed this as a suggestion to eBay last year. I asked if there could be a separate BIN reserve so that it didn't disappear as soon as an opening bid was placed.


Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but isn't this functionality already in place? According to eBay's "help' pages:

"In Reserve Price Auctions, Buy It Now disappears after the first bid that meets the reserve."

Maybe I'm missing something, though. As a seller, I don't use either reserves or BINs, so I'm not totally familiar with them.

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:11 pm 
 

johnhuck wrote:So, if the BIN stayed active even after someone had tried to spoil it with a crappy opening bid, wouldn't that be an incentive for eBay? Someone could still come along and end the auction early despite not being the first bidder.


That is true, but a couple things also would be factored into it. First off, they would have to an invest a fairly substantial amount of time and money to upgrade the technology to make that change site wide. Secondly, and more importantly, why would they go to the trouble and spend the money, when they already have 2 things in place to effectively do that now, and the costs for both ways are already being paid for by the sellers through their fees.

The first thing a seller can do to combat the problem is to set a higher minimum bid. As we all very well know, a higher opening bid equals more fees to Ebay. The second thing that a seller can do to combat the problem is to set a very low opening bid, and then set up a reserve price. Now the reserve price, just like a higher minimum bid equals more fees to EBay. Also, the higher the final winning bid, which is now guaranteed by the higher opening bid/reserve price, once again equals more fees to EBay. So in effect, you are either saving them money on bandwidth, or you paying more to ensure the auction stays up longer. Truthfully, Ebay wins either way, and the fact is, Ebay has the people who use it by the balls. It will only make changes that if it will benefit their bottom line and not ours, so were all pretty much screwed either way :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:17 pm 
 

Xaxaxe wrote:Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but isn't this functionality already in place? According to eBay's "help' pages:

"In Reserve Price Auctions, Buy It Now disappears after the first bid that meets the reserve."


Bingo  :wink:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Active Collector

Posts: 77
Joined: Nov 12, 2002
Last Visit: Jan 13, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:40 pm 
 

If you set a reserve just below your buy it now, than the buy it now stays until you hit just below your reserve.

Now you state the guy bids all the items into the stratosphere, but also say sellers deserve a decent price for the items they sell.  Well, if he is bidding the items up, aren't all other sellers getting good prices?  It is the buyers who are getting hammered.

  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:12 pm 
 

johnhuck wrote:Unless I'm doing something wrong, the minimum reserve in the UK is now £50!


I'm obviously not making myself clear. :( (Maybe that's why eBay didn't get back to me)

I'm looking to sell WGA4. I want to start the bidding at 99p, with a BIN of £20. As soon as cougar bids 99p the BIN is gone.

I can't set a reserve less than £50 (in the UK) and I don't want to deter bidders by setting a higher starting price. So, I would like to set a separate reserve just for the purpose of BIN at £15. The bidding can continue as normal. But the BIN stays in place until the price reaches £15 at which point the BIN is removed. If the bidding doesn't reach £15, it still sells as there isn't a selling reserve.

Does that make sense?  :?

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 405
Joined: Nov 23, 2002
Last Visit: Jan 26, 2018
Location: The Saltmarshes of Michigan

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:11 pm 
 

I can't set a reserve less than £50 (in the UK) and I don't want to deter bidders by setting a higher starting price. So, I would like to set a separate reserve just for the purpose of BIN at £15. The bidding can continue as normal. But the BIN stays in place until the price reaches £15 at which point the BIN is removed. If the bidding doesn't reach £15, it still sells as there isn't a selling reserve.

Does that make sense?  







My thoughts exactly. I hate seeing the "99cent" bidders (that never bid again) kill my BIN.

  


Active Collector

Posts: 77
Joined: Nov 12, 2002
Last Visit: Jan 13, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:16 pm 
 

The only way then is to block cougarinaard, or list on the US ebay site.

  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1