Dice ID
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:17 pm 

Was wondering if any of you could tell me what these dice are from?

https://flic.kr/p/2fqC89u
https://flic.kr/p/2e7pua2

Thanks!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:33 pm 

Gamescience. They added the d10 mold in 1980, so maybe your set is older than that.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:44 am 

grubbiv wrote in Dice ID:Gamescience. They added the d10 mold in 1980, so maybe your set is older than that.

Cool!  Thank you!  Did they sell their dice separately, or were they ever used in RPG sets?  Like did they make and provide the dice for any of the box sets?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:33 pm 

staro wrote in Dice ID:
Cool!  Thank you!  Did they sell their dice separately, or were they ever used in RPG sets?  Like did they make and provide the dice for any of the box sets?

I believe the sets in the Mentzer Basic sets were Gamescience. You could probably use the "Contact us" info, from gamescience.com, to see if they would know specifically were these are from.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:24 pm 

staro wrote in Dice ID:Cool!  Thank you!  Did they sell their dice separately, or were they ever used in RPG sets?  Like did they make and provide the dice for any of the box sets?

They sold dice loose and in blister packs. All the blister packs I've seen included a d10 and were made from the same color of plastic.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:28 pm 

Bargle wrote in Dice ID:
I believe the sets in the Mentzer Basic sets were Gamescience. You could probably use the "Contact us" info, from gamescience.com, to see if they would know specifically were these are from.

I don't recall any of TSR's dice coming from GameScience---TSR's were far too low-quality to be Lou's dice.

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:10 am 

Thanks again to all who replied!

I'm trying to find good homes for some of my random rpg stuff, especially if they are pieces/components of sets that could help someone complete their's.  I am wondering, do you think this bag of dice was a stand alone set, or how likely is it that it came in a box set from back in the day from some rpg?  

Thanks!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:06 pm 

Just as an addendum to the information already mentioned, no TSR game used Gamescience-style dice. Early TSR was famous for its round balls of plastic that masqueraded as dice before switching to Chessex-style dice easily distinguished from Gamescience dice by their polished edges. Mayfair used Chessex-style dice from the start: DC Heroes used 2d10. Chaosium, FASA, and West End Games all used Gamescience-style dice, but the sets included in their boxes were tailored to the game in question. For example, Chaosium's Worlds of Wonder from 1983 included 1d4, 3d6, 1d8, and 1d20 (0-9 twice). FASA's Star Trek The Role Playing game and West End Games' Paranoia (1st Edition) both used 2d20 (0-9 twice). It wasn't until 1986 that FASA used a d10, as the Star Trek Tactical Combat Simulator included one.

One thing that always struck me as somewhat odd was the weight of the dice. The Gamescience-style dice included in the boxes always seemed to be lightweight compared to aftermarket dice. Maybe I'm just used to the dice I currently use, when I'm not using a die roller app.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:12 pm 

That bag of dice was almost certainly a stand-alone set, yes, from around 1980. It's hard to speak with any certainty when it's a resealable bag like that, but the handful of boxed games that shipped with Gamescience sets like this in them in the early 1980s would have had a slightly different array of dice in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:19 am 

It takes some effort to poke around, but DiceCollector.com - Home of the Worlds Largest Dice Collection - THE place for Dice Info & Questions is the best place to use to figure out exactly what a given set of dice is.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:23 am 

I wonder where TSR got those dice they included with the box sets?  I still have all the dice from my old Moldvay sets.  You know, the ones where you had to color in the numbers with a crayon.  Alot of memories in those dice.   :)

The owls are not what they seem...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:34 pm 

Agent Cooper wrote in Dice ID:I wonder where TSR got those dice they included with the box sets?  I still have all the dice from my old Moldvay sets.  You know, the ones where you had to color in the numbers with a crayon.  Alot of memories in those dice.   :)

I seem to recall a story about TSR (at least in the very early days) purchasing them from a scientific / educational supply house that sold them as Platonic Solids as an aid to Geometry mathematics. I'd have to do further digging to find what supply house exactly it was.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:29 am 

TheHistorian wrote in Dice ID:It takes some effort to poke around, but DiceCollector.com - Home of the Worlds Largest Dice Collection - THE place for Dice Info & Questions is the best place to use to figure out exactly what a given set of dice is.

Kevin Cook also has a thread over at Dragonsfoot. He answers questions and responds to PMs there with questions about dice. As his site above shows, he's pretty knowledgeable about dice and always pretty helpful.
His thread is here: Dragonsfoot • View topic - Dice Questions?
Good luck!
--Ron--

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:20 pm 

MadCatUSA wrote in Dice ID:
I seem to recall a story about TSR (at least in the very early days) purchasing them from a scientific / educational supply house that sold them as Platonic Solids as an aid to Geometry mathematics. I'd have to do further digging to find what supply house exactly it was.

Oh yeah, I vaguely remember reading something like that, and how TSR was originally putting these paper chits (?) in with the sets because they couldn't get any dice.  I suppose "weird" shaped RPG dice were not exactly easy to find in those early days.

The chits were before my time though.  The Basic and Expert sets I got as a kid were Moldvay sets and had those wonderful soft plastic dice, with the do it yourself crayon to color in the numbers included.

The owls are not what they seem...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:59 pm 

You guys might be thinking of Jon's post How Gaming Got Its Dice, where he disclosed that TSR's supplier was a California company called Creative Publications.

I have a post showing the dice in Creative Publications packaging: Dice of the Gods. The image came from here at the Acaeum.  8)

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:31 pm 

What does the yellow & green plastic look like to you?

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Not the shape, the plastic! Maybe not exactly the same composition as old-school dice, but '70s plastic often looks similar...quit thinking about the shape!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:06 am 

I've never seen one of those. They were rumored to exist in the UK but no-one could ever produce a copy or even a photo. The tale told by a well known British fashion designer/nymphomaniac (sorry - strong independent woman) was that daddy worked in the aircraft industry importing parts from the then manufacturing powerhouse of the world, the US. His daughter's obsession with sci-fi led to him bringing home toys from abroad that you couldn't get in the UK, and that one particular favorited in blue and lime green inspired her to experiment, lead her towards edgy fashion design and her passion for 'toys' and adventure lead to cuckold her rather boring husband for a rather more interesting and longer colleague. Said colleague just happened to also be looking for a name for a new band he was about to introduce to the world. No doubt her space BJ dog tag which no-one posts pictures of on the internet is some sort of reference to her early years. It was the same fashion season that brought forth her recollections/explanation of the backstory to her lover's inspirational linguistic moment. Good to know the original pistol does actually exist and wasn't just a tale from a desperate and forgotten fashionista. I suspect that little plastic water pistol is worth more than $50 on the UK music scene.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:37 am 

Works with no leaks... heh.