acaeum module organization
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 1:12 am 

Hey Scott---  Half the time I'm browsing modules on the Acaeum, I forget that they're organized by title vs. module code (In Search of the Unknown vs. B1 ).  Could you create another index like the titles that lists the modules by code vs. title?    Just a thought....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:56 am 

You know, oddly enough, I was just browsing the site FAQ ( Page Not Found ), and marveling to myself that it was the best idea I've had in a long time.  It's cut down on the questions immeasurably!  And there you go, Alan, and shatter my little bubble.  From the FAQ:  Q:  Why are the Module Indexes arranged alphabetically by title?  Wouldn't it make more sense to have them arranged by module code?  A:  Originally, that's the way they were organized.  Unfortunately, there are several modules that do not have a module code (i.e., Lost Tamoachan).  Do we put them at the end?  Alphabetically, such as Lost Tamoachan after module L3?  Or what?  Regardless of what we decided to do, there'd be plenty of people who would be unable to find the module in the index.  If you know the module code, but not the title of the module, try finding another module in that series.  For example, if you're looking for module X7, start looking through the indexes for any of the "X" modules.  All the "X" modules are on the same page.  We thought about providing both indexes (alpha by title and alpha by module code), but decided this would simply confuse more people than it would help.  The only other solution is to use a dynamic indexing system, where you could sort the indexes by whatever column you wished, but this is a bit beyond our HTML capabilities at the present.    Foul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:55 pm 

Kudo's to Acaeum for such a fine job. If you want to view their listing by code then open an excel worksheet (if you have Excel), select all of the modules in Aceum, copy, then go to worksheet and paste. Do some fine tuning and remove the header lines. Then sort ascending by selecting the column of the codes. This will sort all coded modules together in their respective groups. The neat thing about this is that it creates hyperlinks directly to ACAEUM for the module you select. Give it a whirl. If you have trouble let me know and I will answer your questions and try to help. Also those modules with no code will be at the end. I hade to select the entire row for the specific module then go up to the code area that it belongs to and inserted selected cells to put it in the right location. With a little work it will do.

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:32 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:You know, oddly enough, I was just browsing the site FAQ ( Page Not Found ), and marveling to myself that it was the best idea I've had in a long time.  It's cut down on the questions immeasurably!  And there you go, Alan, and shatter my little bubble.
 LOL.  Well, my work here is now done.... ;)  Actually, I have read the FAQ, just not in the past two+ years or so, I'm sure....  Thanks for the refresher :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:22 pm 

I have to agree...  I'm new to The Acaeum (great site, btw); and I found the module layout quite frustrating (still do). I don't want to have to look up Steading of the Hill Giant Chief (under S), I want to look at module G1.   I guess it is to each their own, and if questions have gone way down with the alphabetical listing, then who am I to argue.   :)