Valuations Opinions and Comments
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:08 pm 

This deserves its own thread.
Before the printing estimations for Lost Tsojconth are put up as 300, or the same as other tournament modules "of its time", someone needs to qualify that. A 3 year difference is not really "of its time", considering the infancy and cheapness of TSR in '76. If they printed 300, and sold the lion's share, I think it would be natural to assume they would print 500 for Tamo and Ghost, given the rise in popularity over the next 3 years. NEVER should an assumption be made as far as print runs unless there is at least collateral evidence.
An orange B3 shrinked goes for far more than $700.
To have a truly accurate valuation, the board should be inquiring to all members of the Acaeum as to what they would pay, off auction, for each item. I, for example, would pay a lot for a Dwarven Glory, but I would not pay $1,000 for an R prepub, nor would I pay $200 for a coverless Jade Hare. Just my 2 cents. Would have been 3 cents, but eBay fees went up......

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:07 am 

I just want to make the point that valuations are based on actual sales.

I could quite easily list my theoretical maximums for the rares.  But on the day, these might move significantly (up or down) based on a number of factors such as other bids, bank balance, seller, location, perceived trend in value, etc.

But given the lack of sales data available for some of the rares, any info on recent private transactions would be gratefully accepted.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:12 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Before the printing estimations for Lost Tsojconth are put up as 300, or the same as other tournament modules "of its time", someone needs to qualify that. A 3 year difference is not really "of its time", considering the infancy and cheapness of TSR in '76. If they printed 300, and sold the lion's share, I think it would be natural to assume they would print 500 for Tamo and Ghost, given the rise in popularity over the next 3 years. NEVER should an assumption be made as far as print runs unless there is at least collateral evidence.
up......

I agree on this assesement totally. Sales/owner history seems to bear this out as well, which obviously isn't an exact science, but it seems to be the best we can do at this point. When you look at the most recent sales history posted on this site, to this point there have been 30 indivual Lost Tamoachan owners/sales, 25 individual Ghost Tower owner/sales, but even with the slew of most recent Tsojconth sales due to
The recent rash of mint-condition copies is due to a verified stash of ten (!) copies found during a hobby-store takeover.
The total sales history only lists at newly jacked up 19. IIRC that hobby store was in the Detroit area near where the Tsojconths were produced, which makes the find more likely an abberation than a trend of copies out there that just haven't been found yet.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche