Tournament Modules from the 80s and 90s
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:15 am 

Hello
Was wondering about the value/interest level of some old GenCon tournament modules.  I've got several of them that need to be gone over and put back together, but if they aren't really worth anything other than "interesting stuff from the past" I won't take the time.  They are mostly printouts from a dot-matrix printer or photocopies that were sent to me to use when I ran them.

I have the following (some are not all rounds)
Night Watch In The Living City -- 1990 AD&D by Walt Baas and Kira Glass.  A 1 round RPGA module
Trouble On The Border -- 1994 AD&D by Scott Simon.  A three round RPGA module with character sheets
To Cage A King -- 1990 AD&D by A. Karl Larsen and Joseph G. Wichmann.  Round One (Into The Valley) with character sheets
No King Without A Crown -- 1990 AD&D 2nd Ed AD&D Open by Tom Prusa.  multi-round module with character sheets
Jigsaw -- 1989 AD&D Open by Michael Selinker.  listed as a 7 round module with character sheets
Cutters -- 1997 AD&D Open by Christopher Perkins.  6 rounds a with character sheets
Seven More Parts -- 1996 AD&D Open by Skip and Penny Williams.  multi-round module with character sheets
At last, Freedom -- 1992 AD&D Open by Tom Prusa.  multi-round module with character sheets
The End Of The Matter -- 1993 AD&D Open by Tom Prusa.  multi-round module with character sheets

Any info on these would be helpful.  I'm looking to clear out a bunch of old stuff I've been carrying around since the early 90s.  Thanks for the help

If Life seems jolly rotten, there's something you've forgotten and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.....

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:13 am 

Hi vonmolkew---

vonmolkew wrote:Was wondering about the value/interest level of some old GenCon tournament modules.  I've got several of them that need to be gone over and put back together, but if they aren't really worth anything other than "interesting stuff from the past" I won't take the time.  They are mostly printouts from a dot-matrix printer or photocopies that were sent to me to use when I ran them.

It's worth assembling them.  None of the titles you've got appear to be immediately recognizable as valuable, but I definitely see some names from BITD that I know.  

vonmolkew wrote:I have the following (some are not all rounds)
Night Watch In The Living City -- 1990 AD&D by Walt Baas and Kira Glass.  A 1 round RPGA module
Trouble On The Border -- 1994 AD&D by Scott Simon.  A three round RPGA module with character sheets
To Cage A King -- 1990 AD&D by A. Karl Larsen and Joseph G. Wichmann.  Round One (Into The Valley) with character sheets
No King Without A Crown -- 1990 AD&D 2nd Ed AD&D Open by Tom Prusa.  multi-round module with character sheets
Jigsaw -- 1989 AD&D Open by Michael Selinker.  listed as a 7 round module with character sheets
Cutters -- 1997 AD&D Open by Christopher Perkins.  6 rounds a with character sheets
Seven More Parts -- 1996 AD&D Open by Skip and Penny Williams.  multi-round module with character sheets
At last, Freedom -- 1992 AD&D Open by Tom Prusa.  multi-round module with character sheets
The End Of The Matter -- 1993 AD&D Open by Tom Prusa.  multi-round module with character sheets

You might be able to dig up some event details (which you likely don't need, having the tourneys themselves, of course) at Best 50 Years in Gaming

I would inventory each tourney, as follows:

- authors
- dates
- # of rounds in tourney
- # of rounds you have
- # of pages per round, broken out as
------- # pages of maps
------- # page of pregens
------- # pages of adventure text
------- # pages of illustrations (if any)
- condition:  any writing, highlighting, musty/moldy/smoky odors; stains from water, soda, coffee, etc.; dog-eared, bent, cut-up pages; missing stuff:  pages, maps, etc.
- ties to any published modules or settings:  the Skip/Penny Williams one might be related to the Rod of Seven Parts perhaps, for example

I'd love to get details from you to add to my tourney history page @ Greyhawk's Tournament History

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:13 am 

These definitely have value.  Some of these were created by notable authors Tom Prusa and Skip and Penny Williams.

They would probably all do well if listed here, on eBay, or on Facebook, but the ones in bold might do better than average:

Multi-round modules are a particular bargain, if all of the rounds are present.

Selling them separately would be best.  You can list them in The Acaeum classified section and sell them to whoever makes the best offer.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:54 am 

The most important detail is whether they are COMPLETE. They are worth much less if incomplete. If complete however, they are certainly worth your time. I have three of the ones you listed, so if you need to know whether all the bits are there, feel free to PM me.

Shrink is not a condition

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:12 pm 

Hey
Thanks for the response.

Allan:  what would you want from me for the Tourney History Page?

I'll start sifting through them and see if anything is missing.  I had them separated better than I thought they would be, so I'll put them together based on Allan's recommendation.  The best way is probably through eBay, but I'll post back here when I put them up so everyone knows.  Might take me a week or two to get everything set up (life happens, you know  :roll: )
Not sure what to start them at for a price, though.....

If Life seems jolly rotten, there's something you've forgotten and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.....

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:44 pm 

I would keep your starting price low.  That will typically attract the most people, and they will find their price.  Definitely list them under the classifieds here.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:15 am 

Hi again vonmolkew!

vonmolkew wrote in Tournament Modules from the 80s and 90s:Allan:  what would you want from me for the Tourney History Page?

The summary details I listed out would be a great start.  If you end up making scans of the tourneys or taking some pictures of them, that's always useful to be able to provide some visual context too (in particular for maps and such).  

vonmolkew wrote in Tournament Modules from the 80s and 90s:I'll start sifting through them and see if anything is missing.  I had them separated better than I thought they would be, so I'll put them together based on Allan's recommendation.  The best way is probably through eBay, but I'll post back here when I put them up so everyone knows.  Might take me a week or two to get everything set up (life happens, you know  :roll: )

I understand all-too-well....

vonmolkew wrote in Tournament Modules from the 80s and 90s:Not sure what to start them at for a price, though.....

Like dbartman said, start them low, but more importantly be sure you announce them here, and perhaps in some of FB auction groups for RGPs.  If you just announce them here, you'll hit nearly all of the high-end collectors, so that's good enough for what you'll see out of them.

Allan.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:42 pm 

I have 4 of these set up to go on eBay.  I'll re-check them one more time and post them tomorrow (Sunday Aug 19th) and also put a post in the Classifieds section

It will be these 4:
The End of the Matter
Nightwatch in The Living City
No King Without A Crown
At Last, Freedom

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:51 pm 

These have now been put on eBay and also linked in Classified

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:32 am 

Howdy, i am not an expert. Is there any planescape module in your list? Would you consider a trade or sale for it?
Thanks and ciaoo

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:20 pm 

The one called Cutters has some basis in Planescape.  I'll look through it and see how much & let you know.

The modules I've posted to eBay already have their "world" mentioned in the title.  The rest do not appear to be "world-specific", even the Seven More Parts, which would probably have been Greyhawk since that's where the original artifact came from.  I'll try to read through the ones I have left and see if any mention specific places, and if they do, I'll re-post.  

The next couple will hopefully be up on eBay by next weekend or the following week (Cutters and Jigsaw)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:57 pm 

Thanks for all of the info in the listings, vonmolkew!  :D

Allan.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:29 am 

Thanks a lot!!
Best axel

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:20 pm 

So, all four auctions closed yesterday:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Thoughts on prices?  

Allan.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:10 am 

I was well out on the FR items.
High, but maybe not ridiculously so.
Look out for more coming out of the woodwork.

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.