Beginning of the DaystarWest Pharaoh?
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:59 am 

Whilst browsing the "Vampyr" business, I noticed on the page describing Pharaoh that the Daystar version has a beginning which is "totally unrecognizable" from that of I3.  Since I am a casual collector at best, would anyone care to describe the differences in content?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:52 am 

Guys with Rahasia and Pharaoh please stand up! Let Aleph and the rest of us know what the differences may be.  BTW: Please introduce yourself TheAleph at the introduce yourself topic so the rest of us can learn a bit more about yourself.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:17 pm 

Hey guys,  I will have to respectfully admit that I have not yet to compare my Pharaoh with its TSR companion. I will try to do this on the weekend and report back what I find. I can say that as a home-brew sort of effort on the Hickmans part it is very very well put together. The writing is superb. This is far and away the best adventure writing of all TSR and Non-TSR up to its day. Even the cartography and meager art offerings are excellent. TSR as a company definitely took a turn for the better in hiring on the Hickmans.  I would love to get my hands on Rahasia if anyone is selling one! :wink:   Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:35 am 

Daystar West introduction is exclusively Amun-re's dream like chant that the adventuring party hears as they traverse the desert. This chant appears later in the TSR version (page 9). Daystar and TSR chant sequence have all the same elements but Daystars is about 10 times longer. Its like reading a book.   The TSR version spends more time developing the characters through wilderness adventuring (desert). I think the Daystar West version assumes these details are handled on the gaming table. TSR modules tend to spell out more of the adventuring.  Another difference to keep in mind is the idea behind Daystar West is the concept of Nightventures. This is explained at the front of the adventure. Hickman's concept is the one night adventure. I think the details beyond this introduction are left out to keep the adventure within the tomb.  Later. Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:42 am 

All you need is the Daystar Rahasia now Adam. I'm sure I can procure one up for ya. I'll poke around or heck if your going to gencon, I am sure one will be there for sale.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:54 am 

Thanks for the info, Adam.  Idle curiosity on my part, since these so rarely come up for auction.....